Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2020, 9:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lets take Trump out of this for now. Don’t worry I am going to bring him back.

In Portland state and local officials have abdicated their responsibilities and let riots happen for weeks on end. Prior to the George Floyd murder there been riots going on in that city for years. That because elected leaders there agree with the rioters, are intimidated by the rioters, or both. The Feds came in when Federal property was attacked. The “kidnapped” have given interviews to the media, many have been released on bail etc. What else would you have the Feds do or not do?

I'm glad to see at least one person on this thread understands what is actually going on in Portland.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
New York has seen a spike in crime and there is significant press and public pressure to roll back reforms blamed for it. No Federal intervention is needed at this time.

A lot of the panicked reaction is because it is Trump doing it and fears that Portland is the first step on the slippery slope to fascism is not unjustified because it is Trump.

I agree that a lot of the panicked reaction is because it is Trump doing it. I don't agree that the fears about Trump driving America down a slippery slope towards fascism are justified. I mean, since Trump got elected he has gone back on virtually all of his "right populist" campaign promises, and has done nothing while antifa thugs have been attacking his own supporters up and down the country. That's a pretty lame sort of fascist by anybody's standards.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2020, 10:01 am

Meistersinger wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
aside from the semantics of the damned thing, why is our lapdog press keeping mum about this? we sheeple need to pull our heads out into the sunshine and show some outrage. but too many of us can't be bothered unless it happens to us.

Because the media is owned by the same oligarchs that put Trumpty Dumpty in office.

That's completely back to front. During Trump's entire bid for the Republican leadership and for the Presidency, virtually the entire media was united in attacking him. The main reasons he was able to withstand all that and become President are that he largely funded his own campaign, and that he advocated various right populist policies that millions of voters supported but that none of the other candidates offered. Of course, Trump then abandoned virtually all that right wing populism as soon as he became President. The attacks from the media didn't stop though, they just became less constant.

As for auntblabby's original question, he should instead be asking why the media is keeping quiet about all the violence and mayhem antifa have been causing throughout the US in these past few weeks.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 11:02 am

Romofan wrote:
What they ARE saying is that if you have been rioting for weeks, destroying property, blocking traffic, and making a general nuisance of yourself then the Feds have a right to shut you down.

Here, I believe, you are factually incorrect. The federal government cannot go into the States unless there is a situation in which the entire country is at risk. Federal government can also go in to protect federal buildings.

Disruption within the state is the State's Right to do what each State thinks is best.

Having the federal government interfere in State's matters, I believe, is unconstitutional.

If reporting is accurate, some of these federal forces were far from federal buildings and they were not requested by the State to come in.

I understand that some of the protesters have been violent and/or destructive. Many are peaceful protesters, which is a right guaranteed by the constitution. I wonder what the actual numbers are for people who have violated the law with violence or destruction and how many are peacefully protesting?

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 11:10 am

The Insurrection Act (1877) clearly states that,

Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 2:28 pm

Romofan wrote:
The Insurrection Act (1877) clearly states that,

Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.

This is the authority President Eisenhower used to Federalize the Arkansas national guard when the governor was using the national guard to defy a court order to integrate Little Rock High School.

What the Law Says About Deploying Troops on U.S. Soil
Quote:
1. What does the law say?
The 1878 federal law known as the Posse Comitatus Act, along with amendments and supporting regulations, generally bars the use of the active-duty U.S. military -- the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines -- from carrying out domestic law enforcement. The law doesn’t apply to state-based National Guard units, some of which have already been deployed to help with the current unrest. Important exceptions to the law, and the ones Trump likely meant to invoke, are contained in the 1807 Insurrection Act and its modern iterations, which allow the president, without congressional approval, to employ the military for domestic use in certain circumstances.

2. Has that happened before?
Yes, many times. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, federal troops were deployed on several occasions to put down strikes. Presidents have also previously invoked the Insurrection Act to respond to civil unrest and rioting. Lyndon Johnson deployed U.S. troops or National Guard soldiers put under federal control in Detroit, Chicago and Baltimore to help quell race riots in the late 1960s. In the most recent instances of a president invoking the Insurrection Act, George H.W. Bush sent U.S. troops to the U.S. Virgin Islands in response to looting after Hurricane Hugo in 1989 and to respond to rioting in Los Angeles in 1992. It’s important to note that both Johnson and Bush acted in response to requests for federal assistance from state and territorial governors.

The difference this time is there is no military and the state and local authorities do not want the Federal police there.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 4:01 pm

Now , it seems that , knowing the governor of each state of the union has the ability to activate their own national guard for any disturbance that they warrant might need attention civil disasters civil unrest , etc . These same National guard troops are just as able to be activated by Feds. To engage in overseas combat . As part of the national military. :salut:
Now ;
We have individual federal forces testing the grounds for usurping States rights by sending exclusively Federal Authorized officers into civil disturbances at a state level 8O . Of what appears to be a variety of Agencies, interacting together . “ WHY” this activity can only be having the appearances of Fed Organisations behaving in a manner designed to intimidate civilian populations :shameonyou: , With the appearance of not being held accountable for their actions .
This is precisely what our founding fathers revolted against :twisted: . Not just taxes on the price of friggin tea. :wall:
If these are federal officers then the federal government is the obvious responsible party . Where are the civil actions that subsequently should be resulting from these interactions against US citizens . :cheers: :scratch:
This needs to be accounted for ? Is there something deeper at work here . Is the federal government fearful of something more . That is not being made public :study: . Or is this just ridiculous over actions by a certain branch of the federal gov. Usurping powers of other branches of government .
Or perhaps overstepping their bounds to see how far or “ over medicated the current populace is :help: . And how much that branch of the Feds can get away with . .........May God be vigilant for US

where ever you go ,there you are

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 6:14 pm

the lack of media attention and widespread outrage is disquieting. we are sheeple- no, we are ELOI, being herded by morlocks into a fascist pen, for future harvest.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 7:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the lack of media attention and widespread outrage is disquieting. we are sheeple- no, we are ELOI, being herded by morlocks into a fascist pen, for future harvest.

It is amazing, isn't it: I guess no-one knew that the police had "plain clothes" officers, nor unmarked police vehicles. :roll:

Chain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2020, 11:45 am

Portland is where I live. I am so angry that Trump and Barr sent the feds in. My child is out there every night protesting and I was afraid he would be kidnapped. He is trans boy and these feds are Trumpists so I have no idea how much abuse he would suffer at their hands!

Ever notice that when you question a Trumpist's beliefs or behaviors.... they accuse you of curtailing their free speech? They rant on about "cancel culture" and crap like that.

For Trumpists:

Free Speech = the right to have the last and only word about everything

For everyone with different views:

Free Speech = The right to get shot in the face with rubber bullets get beaten and hit with tear gas.

I would think as much as they whine about their 1st Amendment rights... they would support protests as free speech. Of course oppression to them is asking them to wear face masks during a freaking pandemic.

I am so sick of this crap!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 2:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Baaa....baaa....baaaaa...

Fnedral officers in plain clothe and vehicles unrecognizeable to anyone that they are some kinda police. Vehicles,
Is just not right and needs to be. Accounted for , I feel

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 7:40 pm

You're entitled to use deadly force against kidnappers right?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 7:11 am

funeralxempire wrote:
You're entitled to use deadly force against kidnappers right?

one might think , ? kidnapping comes under the heading of felonious acts.
but peaceul protestors are usually , just that attempting peaceful potests.