How often do you read other people's posts on WP?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How often do you read most or all of the posts on the first page of threads you post in?
never 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
rarely 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
sometimes 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
about half the time 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
often 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
almost always 41%  41%  [ 16 ]
every time 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 39

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:43 am

When you post in a thread, how often do you read most or all of the posts on at least the first page of the thread (either before or after you post)?

This question doesn't really apply to situations in which you're one of the first people to respond (because there isn't much to read).

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:45 am

well i read this one.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 1:33 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
well i read this one.

This

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 4:08 am

Not sure what exactly you are asking.

But when I see a thread that I also see has gone on for 20 pages I generally do go to the first page to see what the thread was originally supposed to be about, before I go back to the last page to compare that with what it may have devolved into.

So...when I sound off in response to that...outrageous thing that that person said on the last page..j I will only be going off half cocked, instead not being cocked at all!

But I may not always read everything in between (read every post made on each and everyone of the 18 pages between the first and the last). Though I do try to read the last few pages.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 8:53 am

I read all the replies on the first page about 90 % of time. If the subject is interesting enough, I can read all five or ten pages before replying.

Testing: If you read this, put the green smiley face at the beginning of your post.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 9:42 am

:mrgreen:

I've read every post in this thread so far.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 9:45 am

I do most of the time when there aren't any long posts.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 10:07 am

Almost always.

I am very interested in what other people have to say.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:41 pm

I at least read the first post and usually at least skim the first couple pages, then if it’s a long thread I’ll jump to the end and read the last page or two, so I know both what the thread originally was and where it is when I’m going to post. I do this before posting so I know if my post is actually relevant or helpful or whatever, sometimes just the title doesn’t tell me that, plus long threads can end up going in several different directions and most of the newer posts may have nothing to do with the original post. Also I try to remember to check the date of the first post so I know if it’s been necroed.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm

I have recently got myself into the habit of checking the date the OP was posted too, as I sometimes feel embarrassed if I reply to someone's personal problem that has been resolved like 8 years ago or something.

Also I'm not very good with long posts if the poster is telling their life's story when all I want is to get to the point, especially if the life's story isn't needed in the topic of the post.
My brain gets a bit lost when I'm reading something like "I'm a university graduate I dropped out of college when I moved from California to Utah and I began going to uni in Utah but now I'm living with my ex-boyfriend's second cousin's uncle's nephew in New York and have just graduated from uni there..."

*95 sentences later...*

"...So anyway I just wanted to ask what do you normally have for your breakfast?"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 1:39 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I have recently got myself into the habit of checking the date the OP was posted too, as I sometimes feel embarrassed if I reply to someone's personal problem that has been resolved like 8 years ago or something.

Also I'm not very good with long posts if the poster is telling their life's story when all I want is to get to the point, especially if the life's story isn't needed in the topic of the post.
My brain gets a bit lost when I'm reading something like "I'm a university graduate I dropped out of college when I moved from California to Utah and I began going to uni in Utah but now I'm living with my ex-boyfriend's second cousin's uncle's nephew in New York and have just graduated from uni there..."

*95 sentences later...*

"...So anyway I just wanted to ask what do you normally have for your breakfast?"

:lol:

Things like that. And and the much briefer things like "I love chicken McNuggets. Is that an aspie thing?"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 1:58 pm

I read at least most posts in a particular thread. Many times, I read all posts.

What might happen: if I feel like I get the gist of a long post, I’ll just skim through it. If I find my understanding is incorrect after the skim, I’ll read the post more thoroughly.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 2:04 pm

I struggle tbh. I feel like I 'must try harder' and stop being greedy and selfish when I'm on WP. I use this place to vent tbh.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 2:15 pm

I read most of the posts, if its 5 pages long and gone off topic in parts I'll skim through those.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2020, 2:49 pm

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jul 2020, 9:10 am

It depends.
I just replied to the thread "am I the only one who didn't go to concerts?" or something like that. I just replied without having read the other replies. A knowledge about what others have said wasn't necessary for me to make a reply because of the type of question. With other threads that are more about discussing something, I usually read the replies because it's also kind of relevant what others have contributed to the discussion already. But I won't even bother looking at threads that are many pages long. I'm not going to read all those pages and probably everything has been said anyway.