Virtual Reatlity Headsets (need advice)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm interested in purchasing a couple of virtual reality headsets. I enjoy watching movies, documentaries and Youtube. My son (age 15 and has ASD) would likely do the same, plus would be interested in video games and 3D games.

I am not particularly computer or technology savvy. I'm a 50 year old woman who uses the computer for Facebook, using Google to search information, and as a glorified typewriter (I learned to type on a manual typewriter ... yes... I'm THAT old :-D )

I use an IPhone 7. My son uses an Samsung Galaxy A5. We live in Canada (in case that matters for availability of products or services).

I'm looking for a system with the following features:

1) Portable;
2) High quality hardware;
3) Good resolution;
4) Can watch youtube videos, use with Netflix (if possible) and Disney Plus (if possible);
5) Can be used for video games and/or 3D video games;
6) Will not be obsolete within a year or two.

Keep in mind. I'm a "techno twit". Explain things to me like your explaining them to your 80 year old grandmother :P

Also, keep in mind ... I'm not "stupid" - I'm quite well read actually, but it is just technology is something I have trouble with.

I welcome your advice and insights into what systems to consider. :)

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 11:15 am

CanadianRose wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I'm interested in purchasing a couple of virtual reality headsets. I enjoy watching movies, documentaries and Youtube. My son (age 15 and has ASD) would likely do the same, plus would be interested in video games and 3D games.

I am not particularly computer or technology savvy. I'm a 50 year old woman who uses the computer for Facebook, using Google to search information, and as a glorified typewriter (I learned to type on a manual typewriter ... yes... I'm THAT old :-D )

I use an IPhone 7. My son uses an Samsung Galaxy A5. We live in Canada (in case that matters for availability of products or services).

I'm looking for a system with the following features:

1) Portable;
2) High quality hardware;
3) Good resolution;
4) Can watch youtube videos, use with Netflix (if possible) and Disney Plus (if possible);
5) Can be used for video games and/or 3D video games;
6) Will not be obsolete within a year or two.

Keep in mind. I'm a "techno twit". Explain things to me like your explaining them to your 80 year old grandmother :P

Also, keep in mind ... I'm not "stupid" - I'm quite well read actually, but it is just technology is something I have trouble with.

I welcome your advice and insights into what systems to consider. :)

The Oculus Quest or the upcoming Oculus Quest 2 would be likely what you are looking for. Though as for games it depends on what you plan on playing. Like if you want to play AAA titles like Half-Life: Alyx then you need a PC connected VR headset like the Oculus Rift or Valve Index, but they are not portable and require a gaming PC. There are games on the Quest but not the same quality of games you would get from a PC connected VR headset that has access to the Steam library of games.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2020, 5:59 pm

There are few headsets available and most of them are sold out because the virus limited production. The Oculus Go has been discontinued so the $400 Oculus Quest is the only headset available that is portable unless you just want a viewer that you can use with a phone which you can buy for $5. They're cheap because everything is powered by the phone and it's not real VR (you can watch videos and movies but can't move around at all). Anything portable will be low quality for video games because you need a good GPU to power it which are too big to build into a headset. However, you can buy a cable that will allow you to plug the Oculus Quest into a gaming PC.

Your best bet may be to wait another year. The PS5 and new Xbox are coming out later this year and the new headsets for them are expected to be wireless and won't require an expensive computer to use them.