Do you as an autistic person have a racial identity?

Page 7 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Do you have a racial identity?
yes 38%  38%  [ 13 ]
no 38%  38%  [ 13 ]
not sure 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 6:39 am

Fnord wrote:
"Different" =\= "Unequal" just as "Fair" =\= "Equal".

Totally true. Outside of this thread /topic of racism as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 7:32 am

Jakki wrote:
Where does implicit bias start. And hatred begin .........? Or is this too blatant of a question.

Good question? I guess having a bias could be as simple has having a preference all the way to pathological hatred. Kind of like a spectrum

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 8:34 am

This is kinda a dumb question ... If you're a person of color and autistic then you kinda always have a "racial identity" that sits in the back of your mind. I know I have to often think about these things just being a black autistic adult

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 10:53 am

[quote="green0star"]This is kinda a dumb question ... If you're a person of color and autistic then you kinda always have a "racial identity" that sits in the back of your mind. I know I have to often think about these things just being a black autistic

could easily see that the combination of those 2 items , could cause a person to be having a heightened awarenss in many situation possibly most .
but imho that may not be the only group that may be in those situations .
Wish this was not the case for anyone .

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 1:38 pm

green0star wrote:
This is kinda a dumb question ... If you're a person of color and autistic then you kinda always have a "racial identity" that sits in the back of your mind. I know I have to often think about these things just being a black autistic adult

I think the idea of the question is to do with whether or not you embrace your "race" or have a strong sense of belonging to it, not just whether or not you're aware of being stuck in that particular category of humans. That is whether you yourself identify with your so-called race, have a sense of belonging to it. So for example in my case I know perfectly well that I'm "white" or "caucasian," but to me it's just a fact, with little emotional connotations - I don't go around feeling that "we whites must stick together," I'm not in love with my "race." I don't feel proud to be white, or British. I have no sense of warmth at being part of it. But for best results you'd have to ask the OP what the question means, what I've written here is just my personal grasp of it, and for all I know I could be wrong.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 1:57 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
green0star wrote:

I think the idea of the question is to do with whether or not you embrace your "race" or have a strong sense of belonging to it, not just whether or not you're aware of being stuck in that particular category of humans. That is whether you yourself identify with your so-called race, have a sense of belonging to it. So for example in my case I know perfectly well that I'm "white" or "caucasian," but to me it's just a fact, with little emotional connotations - I don't go around feeling that "we whites must stick together," I'm not in love with my "race." I don't feel proud to be white, or British. I have no sense of warmth at being part of it. But for best results you'd have to ask the OP what the question means, what I've written here is just my personal grasp of it, and for all I know I could be wrong.

I think what you're describing is aligned with this:

funeralxempire wrote:
If you're white and live in a white majority society you likely don't need to think about your race much because you're unlikely to be defined by it, it will feel essentially neutral. People who are viewed as something other than neutral end up having to consider it more often.

This wouldn't be limited to this trait, instead it would be typical of 'dominant group experience'. You don't realize what it's like to participate within a society that doesn't cater towards your interests until you're doing it. Not all applies, but generally speaking.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 4:49 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
green0star wrote:

I think what you're describing is aligned with this:

funeralxempire wrote:
If you're white and live in a white majority society you likely don't need to think about your race much because you're unlikely to be defined by it, it will feel essentially neutral. People who are viewed as something other than neutral end up having to consider it more often.

This wouldn't be limited to this trait, instead it would be typical of 'dominant group experience'. You don't realize what it's like to participate within a society that doesn't cater towards your interests until you're doing it. Not all applies, but generally speaking.

Not sure if by "you" you mean me or the hypothetical person who may or may not have a racial identity. I can see how a person in a homogenous society might not be aware that anything else exists, and therefore wouldn't be aware of their own ethnicity etc., in the sense that a fish presumably would have no idea it's in water until some fateful day when the water is replaced by air.