I drive occasionally (1-3 times per week) 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
I drive everyday 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I can't imagine not being able to drive! 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 69

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 4:19 pm

I had a lot of difficulty learning to drive, didn't get my license until I was 21. Now I drive most days... But I'm getting tired of certain relatives thinking my van has a sign on it saying "free taxi". I really need to make a gas money rule because I'm getting tired of being taken advantage of...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 6:42 pm

I got my license after passing my road test at 20. I was eager to learn how to drive when I got my learner's permit but once I got my license, I sort of stopped enjoying it. I currently only drive if I have to which ends up being a few times a week typically. I'm not very confident on the road and I always say I'm a horrible driver but I'm actually probably pretty decent. My obsession with rule-following is definitely something that shows when I drive and I do tend to get confused when drivers do things that aren't appropriate (like running stop signs or cutting me off) but I always manage fortunately.

My Tumblr

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 7:35 pm

Living here, I drive to a city about once a month for health food, and combine errands to visit my friend. When I was last homeless, I lived in my car and drove almost every day, looking for a house I could afford. I enjoy driving, but I hate wasting gas, given the ongoing climate crisis.
I got my professional grade licence at 16 yrs + 2 weeks, driving a standard transmission on ice, and was very keen on sporty driving. Soon after, I was into a 30-yr period of using a bicycle for most things, including going to my taxi driving job for a few years. I got a car again after moving to a rural area, and switched from sporty to super-economy driving the day the 1st gulf war began. It is just as much fun, actually. I once had my engine off for over a mile, staying no more than a car length from ideal in freeway traffic. Now, I only speed up to the legal limit to avoid delaying trucks until they can pass. My early practice at sliding around has kept me out of at least two serious accidents.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 7:36 pm

Angnix wrote:
I had a lot of difficulty learning to drive, didn't get my license until I was 21. Now I drive most days... But I'm getting tired of certain relatives thinking my van has a sign on it saying "free taxi". I really need to make a gas money rule because I'm getting tired of being taken advantage of...

You need the classic Gas, Grass Or Ass: Nobody Rides For Free sticker.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 3:39 pm

I have never driven a car in my life despite being almost 29 years old. Of course I have no driving licence.

I take three psychiatric medicines now: paroxetine, sulpiride, quetiapine (regularly, every day). Meds may be a problem when you want to drive a car. Driving when getting them can be dangerous. I might have problems with driving also due to severe OCD.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2020, 8:11 pm

I selected the last option. The only exception was during one period several years ago. I was really struggling with depression etc., and went through a brief time where I couldn't drive. I'd start to have a panic attack, and felt like I would get lost or stranded or something as soon as I started driving. It was just too much for me at that time. I also had a year or so long period where I couldn't drive because I had a seizure, and you're not to drive for 6 months after having a seizure (to make sure you don't have more), and I had a few. I actually had a seizure while driving once, this was very scary and dangerous. Luckily neither I nor anyone else was hurt. I am not epileptic, but have been on Seroquel for a long time, which lowers one's seizure threshold. Severe alcohol withdrawals can cause seizures, and I was experiencing some withdrawals anyway (I didn't think they were very serious until it was too late) when I had a drinking problem. So I had three seizures this way, once while at the court house to see my probation officer, once while driving, and once out in public with friends at a music festival...before I quit drinking for good, and that was 4 years ago. I used to take Seroquel during the day as well as night, and I'd always have to wait for the effects to wear off a bit before I could drive. For me driving is freedom and functionality. Without it I don't feel the same.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 8:19 pm

Once again, when I bust an AS pattern, I go big. I passed my driver's test as an adult, and bought a car that weekend. First passenger was my pregnant sister in law, and she didn't go into labor. She was watching the kids so my wife and I could go on a weekend vacation. When we came back, we found out my father in law had died in Missouri - so two weeks later we all did a drive from LA to Missouri. A whole lot to cram into one month.

In 2018 I did a cross-country drive, with another one planned for next June. AS makes the most boring road (Nebraska, that would be you) tolerable.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 2:46 pm

I don't drive, nor have ever. But it should be noted I also have a vision impairment. I've thought about learning a few times but between my anxiety, vision impairment, and having no where to even go it doesn't really seem worth the effort..

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 3:14 pm

Not only do I drive, I even drive inside. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:18 pm

I would like to learn to drive, but it's for some reason very hard to pay attention to everything and it makes it very stressful, and sometimes downright feel unsafe. I've avoided properly learning to drive because of this, even though I want to.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 8:57 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I would like to learn to drive, but it's for some reason very hard to pay attention to everything and it makes it very stressful, and sometimes downright feel unsafe. I've avoided properly learning to drive because of this, even though I want to.

Keep at it, it can be really overwhelming at first but there is a 'normalization curve' for getting used to all the different sensory inputs you'll need to deal with. When I was your age I didn't believe I'd ever drive at all, since then I've learned to drive stick, learned to do autocross and now have started to deal with shuttling cars around a busy and often congested factory with dozens of people constantly in motion on foot and on different vehicles.

Start with focusing on a fairly small goal and building basic skills, everything else (even driving on your own) can come with time, practice and experience. Just keep building seat time and don't get caught up on errors that might occur, just use them as motivation to not make the same mistake twice.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GameCube
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2020, 1:07 am

I tried to get my license when I turned 16, I was horrible. I was even shocked by how horrible I was. Instructions actually told me I shouldn't be driving and no one in my family was really brave enough to teach me. I struggled to learn how to drive into my early 20s and gave up. People continue to give me hard time that I don't have a driving license, but I learned to not let it bother me.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 4:41 am

I have a license and had no huge problems getting it. Some things were tricky (like overtaking vehicles on the motorway) but that came down to inexperience. Now I live in a big city so there are trains and subways everywhere to get me where I want. I drive when I visit my family in the countryside once a year. They tell me I'm a safe drive and are a bit surprised I don't forget how to drive in the time in-between our meetings. Muscle memory, maybe.

INTJ185
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2020, 2:44 pm

I'm a fully competent driver and have driven cross-country (Minnesota to New York, etc.) several times, through Chicago rush hour (with an overheating U-Haul truck), and lived in the NYC area commuting 1-1/2hrs to work every day.

But driving makes me perspire sometimes and I'm constantly imagining getting distracted and getting into an accident.

Fortunately, the three accidents I caused were at very low speed, no one got hurt, and only once was there car damage (mine...a total loss...small car hitting an immovable object). I have to focus to not look to the left or right because I lose track of time if I see something interesting (which is what happened when I caused those accidents).

The only other thing about driving I could never do well was drive at night. In America, there are those dashed lines down the middle of the road, and staring at those is too hypnotic at night and I end up falling asleep easily. Only twice did I actually do so but no harm was done...incredibly.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 2:51 pm

i have been in LOTS of accidents most minor meaning i bumped the garage for a sec while trying to park, etc, when starting out - but one was major thanks to my mom (also aspie but undiagnosed but majority of her traits are more evident than mine, to my mind) - being chitchattery and telling me to do something and having a meltdown that i wasnt when i wasnt sure it was safe or not -it wasnt but she was in her full b lown meltdown stage and i was a new driver totally relying on her guidance- so BOOM.
car gone. we survived. paid the other guy (truck) who had literally just a scratch on his truck.. sigh.
then years later nothing .. then
XH thought my training by driving instructor was v ery bad as i wd refuse to drive

(he trained me and i improved, then he paid for lessons and that lady was soooo much better than my original instructor and figured out all my issues including attention drifting off thing ) and solved it . then the accidents i had were when i was coming back from blood tests (lots of vials extracted) and pregant, bumped into parked car in front of me..
then one time after a lot of distressing stuff (posted abou it here) i bumped into a car who himself was speeding then suddenly STOPPED. nothign happened to his car but mine - the front of it, the license plate is slightly curved now.
but now that man (wshich my parents realized he had planned it) filed false claims against me last year (and claimed something that never happened)
and my video of the incident and him and our cars- which my elder cousin advised i do in case he tried to falsify something-
were deleted by my own self months later.. to make room for kids videos on my phone (idiotic) as i thought all was well !
i had no idea he would pull that..
oh well.
now in court.. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2022, 10:17 am

Study examines timing abilities of drivers with ADHD and ASD

Quote:
A recent University of Alabama at Birmingham study indicated that drivers with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)—when compared to a control group—showed no differences in timing abilities. However, drivers with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) displayed some differences in their perception of time.

"The results of this study do not mean drivers with ASD are less safe on the road—a recent and large epidemiologic study actually suggests drivers with ASD may drive safer," said Austin Svancara, graduate student in the UAB College of Arts and Sciences Lifespan Developmental Psychology Program. "The present findings are fascinating as there is so much for us to learn and understand about the timing abilities of individuals with ASD and ADHD."

Researchers in UAB's Translational Research for Injury Prevention Lab observed 60 participants with ASD or ADHD, while using a driving simulator to perform timing tasks such as estimating the length of time intervals (computer task) and estimating when their car would hit other cars (driving simulator). Using the monitoring equipment inside the simulator, Svancara, examined each participant's time perception capabilities

Svancara's research paper on this study, titled "Time‑to‑Collision Estimations in Young Drivers with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Attention‑Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder," was recently accepted by the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman