What religions accept people with Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 8:09 pm

Redd_Kross seems to have a good understanding of religion in general, and the Christian religions in particular.

Redd_Kross wrote:
Historical evidence isn't really on your side with that one. Religion has always been largely about wealth, power and control. In the main that means supporting the status quo by underwriting the existing power structure and rubbishing any cries for change. Christianity is no exception. Imperialism, racism, sexism, homophobia, slavery etc. etc. have all been fiercely defended by the Church...
I might to this only that leaders who want to remain in power seem to operate under these same values (i.e., imperialism, racism, sexism, homophobia, slavery, et cetera) with or without the Church's blessing, but often seem to seek the Church's blessing regardless of these sins.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 6:55 am

have to admit have seen little changes since those days in the church , since those days . after
the accident , i had . but have not been too involved since then have been on the outside looking in .
Trying to avoid a repeat of those past experiences.

where ever you go ,there you are

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 10:36 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Whale_Tuune wrote:
Christianity is not about damnation and guilt trips...

Heaven and Hell are states of loving or hating what God stands for while in His presence. It reflects our own personal transformation, not God punishing us.

Historical evidence isn't really on your side with that one. Religion has always been largely about wealth, power and control. In the main that means supporting the status quo by underwriting the existing power structure and rubbishing any cries for change. Christianity is no exception. Imperialism, racism, sexism, homophobia, slavery etc. etc. have all been fiercely defended by the Church.

The Quakers do a better job of avoiding those (apparently non-existent) pitfalls than all the other Christian groups I can think of. Their attitude is, it is up to you to navigate a path through all the inherent contradictions in the Bible, through discussion and contemplation, in order to build your own harmonious relationship with God. Rather than being told what to believe.

So if, for example, you choose to believe that the good Samaritan story, throwing the money lenders out of the Temple, and abandoning material wealth were all far more important lessons than whether wives should be perpetually silent and subservient, whether mixed fibres should be worn, or whether men should lie down with other men, well that's fair enough.

Most Christian leaders (especially in the US) would be thinking "anti-capitalist, anti-establishment, left wing, dark skinned, middle Eastern revolutionary hippie" about those particular lessons from Jesus, and they'd be right. And the main reason they'd be throwing those terms around AGAINST such thinking in the modern age, is because poor people with perceptive minds aren't blindly obedient and don't generally fund Lear jets for hypocrites.

"Ideological State Apparatuses (ISA), according to Althusser, use methods other than physical violence to achieve the same objectives as Repressive State Apparatuses (RSA). They may include educational institutions (e.g. schools), media outlets, churches, social and sports clubs and the family. These formations are ostensibly apolitical and part of civil society, rather than a formal part of the state (i.e. as is the case in an RSA). In terms of psychology they could be described as psychosocial, because they aim to inculcate ways of seeing and evaluating things, events and class relations. Instead of expressing and imposing order through violent repression, ISA disseminate ideologies that reinforce the control of a dominant class. People tend to be co-opted by fear of social rejection, e.g. ostracisation, ridicule and isolation. In Althusser's view, a social class cannot hold state power unless, and until, it simultaneously exercises hegemony (domination) over and through ISA."

So Christianity is potentially revolutionary but in practice has been manipulated over time to be permanently and almost uniformly repressive.

Repressive compared to what? Rome was built on slavery and absolutely crushed slave rebellion, had no consistent ethos of charity or healthcare, and was horribly repressive towards women. At most, Romans typically held an ideal of doing-goodism, wherein wealthy benefactors would finance the construction of temples, archways, or baths or libraries (if we want to be more practical). If there were distributions of food or grain to fellow citizens, they typically would not be distributed to the poor per se, and would frequently go to those who least needed it. When money was spent for the benefit of citizens or a city, it mainly benefited the elite, and the main motivation behind it was to display the benefactor's vast wealth. Christian caritas specifically emphasized donations for the poor and suffering, and our modern welfare system and concern for the poor (in the West at least) is based on this.

Female infanticide was abolished following the rise of Christianity, women served as deaconesses and religious leaders, they were allowed to keep property following widowhood and were not forced into remarriage should their husbands die. Did Christianity turn the Near East and Europe into shining beacons of gender equality? No, that's because Christians are subject to sinful human temptation as spoken of in the New Testament and Church Father writings. But did you see a change? Yes.

The majority of Christians during times of slavery accepted it, but the only outspoken opponents of slavery (aside from slaves themselves) were Christians opposing it on Christian grounds. (Gregory of Nyssa, for example. Chrysostom, too, while "outspoken opponent" is an exaggeration, advocated for and laid out a set of principles for the eventual abolition of slavery.)

Plus, slavery wouldn't have become solidified as something to oppose on ideological grounds if it had not been for the work of British abolitionists. Economic factors may have played a role in them getting the government to listen to them, but once they got a foothold in, they were able to solidify opposition to slavery as something to oppose in principle. Which also led to Lincoln passing the Emancipation Declaration in order to erode British support for the South.

The modern hospital system was founded in Byzantium based on Christian principles of charity. Schools for the deaf were opened by priests basing their concern for the disabled on their Christianity. Widespread, comprehensive social welfare and healthcare in Europe and the Near East were absolutely the product of Christian thought.

Jesus did say that there would be those who would use His words for wickedness, and the writings of Church Fathers and saints make it clear that they are aware that the institution can be corrupted. We follow a God that gives instructions for justice and mercy, and do not let our fallen brothers impede on our faith.

Besides, what do you mean by "uniformly?" Christianity has never been "uniform." Are you referring to Roman Catholic imperialism? Southern Baptists? Anglicans in India? If so, you're referring to a fraction of those who call themselves Christian, and ignoring the fact that other Christians don't recognize their faith with them.

Quote:
Imperialism, racism, sexism, homophobia, slavery etc. etc. have all been fiercely defended by the Church.

Again, what Church? Which Church? Be specific.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 9:14 am

This thread quickly devolved into a Christian bashing session.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 9:21 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
This thread quickly devolved into a Christian bashing session.
People usually go after the low-hanging fruit, and Christianity is far from perfect.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 11:12 am

Smiles; i Provide 'Magnificent Clouds' to 'Prove' a Point;
Poetry is 'Clouds'; Religious Text is Clouds; Religion, In General,
is Clouds; As Neuroscience Shows Now We (Clouds) Basically Hallucinate
Our Reality as We Go Based on Past Hallucinations of Reality As Then After
Feeling And Sensing Our Individual Multi-Universe Realities
We Attach Words
Neo-cortically
in an Attempt
to Co-Create
Order Out of the Art
Of Reality That Indeed
We Co-Create With Relative
Free Will Interdependently Speaking
At Best in Dance And Song of Life Free
As Metaphors Continue to Color Life Differently
We Co-Create too; Smiles, It's Up to Us to 'Make the
Clouds' of Life Heaven or Hell; or the 'tween of Grey
Skies of Purgatory not Reforming Clouds into a More Beautiful
Hallucination
of Reality Now;
For Art is Ours
To Co-Create Whether
it is Internal Views Now of
Clouds and Winds We Color;
or Art We Co-Create to Flower
What We View As Reality Ours.
When it comes to Islam and Christianity;
'One Question' is, even if "TradeMark(S)JeSuS"
Comes Back as both Religions Dance And Sing
As Prophecy of Old Poetry; Which Sect
And Which Individual View of Jesus
Will be Seen as Truth in Light;
THere iS only one answer
WorKinG for
A Question
It is
ALL
About
'You' as 'me'
of course as
Metaphor only too;
As You 'See', Words
oF Old Poetry are Essence
ATTeMPTiNG to Breathe as Art
of Original Ghost Authors, Scribes,
And Editors oF A STory Revised Innumerable
Instances as OPen SourCE Art Will Surely Do.

We Are Born As Essence;
What We Do Without Newer
Colors Is A SaMe
Cloud
We
See
Now
or Do Not Ranging
From Hell to Heaven;
to all Purgatory Greys
Rarely Noticed for those Fallen
Asleep forgetting to 'write' A Next
'Verse' of 'THeir' "Bible", Coloring Life;
However that may or
May not come
in the Next
Step and or
Word of Dance and Song...

As Above, So Below, Within Inside
Outside All Around; Just More Clouds
to Color As We Will With Relative Free
Will Interdependently or NOT.

A Road Block Is Always Sitting
Still, Stuck in Caves Gazing Never
Moving Away From Paintings on Walls.

How boring it Will
be still to Look at A
Same Hand Print on A Stone Wall;
How Interesting, Folks Still Do this Never

Coming out

of A Cave...

Never
Painting
'God' New
Colors exciting 'God' this way...

But True, this too, is Human Nature;
Even in Studies of Nature; approximately
20 Percent of the Animal Kingdom are Sitters;
And 80 Percent, Rovers; Some Find a 'Garden of
Eden' that is Real; And some Still LiVE iN Desert Scarcity
Staring at Same Old Paintings; But True, others see more
Even in
Old
Paintings
Coloring them
More than Just Grey Stones of Clouds...

Anchors, Provide Safe Harbors in
Caves as it's true it's a long trek across
Deserts to Find Green Forests and Creeks Teeming With Fish;

On the Other Hand(S), THere Are Sails;
FLoWeRS and Seeds Dropped
off at A Beautiful Beach
And Forest Where
i Live, FoRTuNaTeLY;

As ALWaYS A Balance
As GreaTesT Boats
For Longer Terms,
Develop Both Anchors
And Sails, More Fully, For Safe Harbors
Surviving Flourishing iN Fair and Following

Seas Thriving...

Seriously, Now, From an Anthropological
Science Point of View; Environment counts;
There Are Desert Religions And Green Religions;
Desert Religions Create Gods out of Men as that is
All that is seen of Green in Desert and Rocky Terrain
in Scarcity Where Tribal Competition for Resources Means Life or Death for Real.

WHere there is Green
And Folks Sitting
Under Trees;
WHere THere
is Beaches and
Forests with Humans
Communing Similarly;
Nature Becomes 'God' in Abundance As
We aRe Happier to Be Part of 'All that is'...

It's so much easier, to See A Beach iN Abundance As God as Nature With No Separation Us

Than A Desert Of SCaRCiTY, WHere rarely People Rise Above A Bottom of A Pyramid Seeing Thrive

Now;
Yes, From
Capstone
Now of Ever
Coloring More
Beautiful Lights
of Courage iN Wisdom
of
Truth's Love...

Tree of Life...

Location...
Location...
Location...

Makes a
Difference
For What one
Calls God as HoMe...

Some Folks See it so far away...
Other Folks Will Not miss It As
THere is No Separation
in Abundance
They Sense
Feel and
KNoW For Real...

i surely am Glad i AM outcast
as i might Still be Living in Desert
Scarcity Tween Cave Walls of Temples
With Same Cave Paintings to only gaze at now...

i Rove outside of

'the

Cave'

And

'Don't Look Back'...

i visit; but i understand
WHere HoMe is; Colors, i Create of Wind And Beach Within...

For me, it's Never about 'What Religions Accept People With Asperger's Syndrome';

It's Always about What Religions, i Tolerate Enough, to Visit Out of my Home of Nature (GoD) with no limits....

Sails
And
Anchors;
Sails and Anchors;
THere is Beauty in
Both Tradition and Freedom...
if one Colors 'Clouds' Both ways....

Hmm.. This Deserves Two THeME SongS HeHE...

'Don't Look Back', Playing in a 1970 White Maverick in '78, when i 'met' my 'First Love'
She Was A Magnificent Sail and i Was An Anchor then; She Taught me about 'Sailing'...

"Garden Party", May Be Self-Explanatory; Some Folks Take Their Yachts out to Sea Regularly;
Other Folks Keep them Anchored in Safe Harbors, WHere 'Dry Rot' comes Next; still Others
at Least
Sponsor
Garden
Parties
in 'Boats'
Once or Twice a Year;
Like Folks Who Go to
Catholic Church only
On Christmas And Easter Day;

Others Still Roving

Leave their Christmas Trees
Up Year 'Round ALWaYS Coloring
Lights Differently in Heaven Now WiTHiN...

Meh...

i Get Around...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick