Page 1 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 2:41 pm

What pleasant and interesting bird sightings have you had lately? Whether it's something rare glimpsed through binoculars miles away from civilisation, or just a random sparrow that cheered you up a bit, I'd like to hear about it. Especially as we've got people here from several continents, so even the "ordinary" birds are unusual to some of us.

Today I saw a single black-headed gull foraging on someone's lawn, and a heron flying over the lake. Pretty good day.

Steve1964
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2020, 3:30 pm

We have a pair of pileated woodpeckers living in our woods, and from time to time they come into our garden to give us a really good look at them. If you're not familiar with them, look them up. Absolutely stunning creatures. :)

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 3:39 pm

Red Kites hunting in the field behind me and calling quite often. There is also the time when I was out there playing fetch with dog V4 and one hovering abouth four feet over my head watching me. I think it was hoping i would go and drive something out that it could eat. The nearest I get to hunting is raiding the fride so it would be out of luck anyway.

Sometimes get owls in summer and I had a conversation with one; I made a clicking noise and it woo'd back...fun evening that was!

Throwaway3
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2020, 4:05 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:
Red Kites hunting in the field behind me and calling quite often.

Years ago you could only see them in one place but the breeding programme ( helped by the S.A.S ) has been an enormous success.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 4:32 pm

Black-bellied whistling ducks flying overhead.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2020, 11:23 pm

A pair of Great Crested Grebes (Podiceps cristatus) which, having raised one brood this year, are just starting on their second.

The last of the tern chicks finally fledging. The Sandwich Terns (Sterna sandvicensis) have now all left the island where they nest but plenty of juveniles can still be seen on the local beaches. The last Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) chick fledged a few days ago.

The return of the waders/shorebirds from their breeding grounds has started as they either pass through on migration or start to gather into the large flocks that will spend the winter here.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 12:15 am

barnswallows crisscrossing above the mowed trails, then i hit a hornet nest in the ground, do swallows eat hornets, idk?
but the birds seemed energized,
yesterday a bird of prey had an eye on something and waited patiently nearby
idk english for this;

something like that but the tractor's like this

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 9:54 am

Hitting a nest of hornets mowing!!
8O
Indigo buntings,Redbirds and Goldfinches are all out in the garden.The Crows had a nursery nearby and I got to listen to the young ones learning to caw.They aren’t very good at first and it sounds like the older ones are scolding them.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:45 pm

A whole flock of black-headed gulls. Wierdly, they were still in winter plumage- the black reduced to a couple of spots on the sides of their heads. A few were just starting to turn. I wonder if they've been somewhere with freak cold weather the last few months?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:52 pm

Photographed this bird at Sennen Cove, Cornwall(not sure exactly what type he is ...)...

A friend who lives in Crow’s Nest, Australia photographed this friendly kookaburra this past week ...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 6:33 pm

Saw some grey herons out and about the other day.

On my way to work theres a great cormorant that hangs out, plus a breeding pair of mute swans.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2020, 11:10 pm

Juliette wrote:
Photographed this bird at Sennen Cove, Cornwall(not sure exactly what type he is ...)...

Juvenile Herring Gull. "He" could be either male or female.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2020, 11:35 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
A whole flock of black-headed gulls. Wierdly, they were still in winter plumage- the black reduced to a couple of spots on the sides of their heads. A few were just starting to turn. I wonder if they've been somewhere with freak cold weather the last few months?

They should be moulting out of their breeding (summer) plumage into their winter plumage now. The black (brown really) heads are only carried during the breeding season which is largely over. In the UK most start their moult from late May to late July so many will be back in full winter plumage already.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 11:39 pm

I don't know exactly what type of bird they are, but these finch-like birds keep landing very close to me while I'm doing yard work and other stuff outside. They're cute, it's nice to watch them and to see them up close since my eyesight isn't amazing.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 8:06 am

Sandpiper wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:

They should be moulting out of their breeding (summer) plumage into their winter plumage now. The black (brown really) heads are only carried during the breeding season which is largely over. In the UK most start their moult from late May to late July so many will be back in full winter plumage already.

Aha, so it's "already", not "still"....

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:19 pm

A goldfinch and a cardinal