Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 7:27 pm

Do you agree with the person who wrote this list?

https://listverse.com/2020/07/25/top-10-things-children-do-that-are-considered-insane-in-adults/

Alex_2x4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2020, 8:00 am

No I don't. Some of the items are typical behaviours of autistic adults. Some of the other items appear to be magical thinking which is not the same as insanity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 8:50 am

11. They hug and kiss random strangers.

12. They invite (other) children whom they have just met into their homes.

13. They shout at the occupants of passing cars.

14. They dress up in disguises and go door-to-door begging for candy.

15. They dig holes in their yards solely for the sake of digging holes.

16. ... ?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 9:30 am

I don't agree with that list. Kids enjoy playing and role playing, and pretending to be someone else, but I really don't think it's normal for them to actually believe that they are what they play act. They might imitate people and professions they admire/ think are cool or exciting, but that's a very different thing than believing they are that person or have that profession.
Nor do I think it's normal for a child to think they can fly or levitate, or have super powers. Pretend to and play it, yes, but not believing it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 9:33 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I don't agree with that list...
I look at it as more of a list of "10 childhood behaviors that look weird when adults do them", which is why I added five more items.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 9:33 am

I don't like using the word 'insane' in general or generalising about mental illness. Plus a lot of this is just normal for autistic adults and not all kids think all this stuff or experience all these pretend fantasies.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 10:59 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I don't agree with that list. Kids enjoy playing and role playing, and pretending to be someone else, but I really don't think it's normal for them to actually believe that they are what they play act. They might imitate people and professions they admire/ think are cool or exciting, but that's a very different thing than believing they are that person or have that profession.
Nor do I think it's normal for a child to think they can fly or levitate, or have super powers. Pretend to and play it, yes, but not believing it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Half the things on the list are things kids pretend for fun, I don’t think most of them actually believe they really can fly or anything.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 11:11 am

I used to pretend that I could fly and I'd tell other kids that I can, but I didn't actually believe it. I just used to say that I can only fly when nobody is looking.

I did sometimes make something stupid up and try to get adults to actually believe it. For example, one time I was playing in a field for a long time and I tried to stay there as long as I could so that I could tell my parents that I got kidnapped by pirates and was on their ship. I even got myself dirty and wet from a puddle, to prove it. When I got back home and my mum asked where I had been, I told them that I had been on an adventure on a pirate ship. My mum played along a bit but then told me off for getting myself dirty. I told them that I didn't mean to get dirty, it just happened because I was on a pirate ship. I literally wanted them to really believe that I had actually been on a pirate ship, because my young, naive mind didn't think that being on a pirate ship was impossible and that no sane adult would believe me.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 11:49 am

Mostly no. I can see how some of these behaviours would be seen as weird and maybe in some cases even a sign of mental illness, but WTF, being a fussy eater is insane behaviour? :lol:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 10:17 am

This list doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. I’m pretty sure whoever wrote it has no education on autism or they are thinking of another disability.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 1:33 am

Quote:
Children like routine. It is quite common for a child to want to watch the same film, read the same book, or play with the same toy repeatedly. Younger kids can become upset quickly if their routines vary even a little bit.

Really? My mom hated this in me and I guess I was being pathologicalized.

Oh wait:

Quote:
Adults can also enjoy familiarity and routine. However, when the routine becomes of primary importance and disrupts normal life, it can spill over into an obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

:lol:

I guess I sucked at being a kid because I didn't do lot of these things the article lists. I knew I was not a real princess nor did I think I was an actual Mom when I did dress up or played house.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.