Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:48 pm

I got contacted on LinkedIn from a person claiming to be a financial advisor based in Michigan seeking new remote employees and wanting an interview.... Seems possibly weird, anything I need to look out for?

My dove in my plant!

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD Level 1 2/6/2020

maycontainthunder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2020, 2:55 pm

Did you solicit the contact (maybe looking for that kind of work?) or was it out of the blue?

If it was out of the blue I would be deeply suspicious.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:57 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:
Did you solicit the contact (maybe looking for that kind of work?) or was it out of the blue?

If it was out of the blue I would be deeply suspicious.

Out of the blue... I searched the person and company and they do exist though...

My dove in my plant!

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD Level 1 2/6/2020

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 3:03 pm

A little strange, but not unheard of especially if your linkedin profile is set to attract recruiters. My wife got contacted by a real recruiter on linkedin in a very similar fashion.

If they didn't want to conduct a phone/video interview, I might be a little more concerned/wary.

maycontainthunder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2020, 3:13 pm

I am a naturally mistrustful person; been tricked once too often.

Can you confirm that the person who contacted you is the person they claim to be? Is their Linkedin profile on the company pages?

The fact it is out of the blue makes me think it's some kind of fishing exercise but this is me being suspicious because its apparently out of the blue. As Feyokien says, it could be the way your profile is set up (I'm not on Linkedin).

INTJ185
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2020, 12:52 am

Angnix wrote:
I got contacted on LinkedIn from a person claiming to be a financial advisor based in Michigan seeking new remote employees and wanting an interview.... Seems possibly weird, anything I need to look out for?

Angnix,
[the following is not legal advice but just my opinion and "wisdom" through experience]
- First and foremost, get a physical street address of his place of business and the Co. name; even if it's a d/b/a ("doing business as"). Do not accept a P.O.Box. Research to be sure such an address exists, it's a building, and it's a building that one would think is reasonable for that type of work. Research the Co. name, too. Look at its website for names of principles and board members.
- Second, ask for his "IARD". Ask for it just like that: "IARD". If he doesn't know what "IARD" means or gives some excuse why he doesn't have a registration number (or doesn't know you're asking for a number) then he's not legitimate. All financial planners in the state of Michigan are required to be licensed by registering with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs or at the federal level with the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC). Proof of registry (which requires education, passing a test, and etc.) is done via the Investment Adviser Registration Depository (IARD) system.
- Third, do not give any private information about yourself. No SS#, no bank account #s, nothing until you've met at his place of business, met the other people of his firm, and verified he's not "fly by night". Anything short of that and you're just a 1099 contractor and he doesn't need any private information for that.
- Third, he may ask you to sell financial instruments (stocks, insurance, etc.) or give advice to a list of "customers". Don't! Unless you've got your Financial Advisor license, you could be fined (at best).
- I hope he's legitimate. That everything checks out okay. And you have a good experience. Just remember, you have every right to expect direct and verifiable information from them since you'll be making money for them.