Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you prefer hot weather or cold weather?
Hot 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Cold 67%  67%  [ 41 ]
Warm 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
No preference 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 61

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 6:30 pm

the trend of the poll is that there are many more sweaty aspies than chilly ones, here.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2020, 11:09 pm

Another sweaty Aspie here. I struggle with anything over about 15°C/59°F. Here in the north west of England it's above that at the moment though thunderstorms are forecast for later today which might help a bit. I'm OK with warmer temperatures if there is a stiff breeze blowing.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2020, 11:14 pm

elder son walks v unsteadily and experienceS LOTS of preventable and weird falls in the heat more than any other weather.

where he falls it looks like something from a bugs bunny cartoon,
like in slow motion he stumbles back from nothing and tumbles one way then the other, twisting on his heel.
and it was because my AC wasnt working which i didnt realize -- but the 4 year old had--

and had been telling me for 2 days that the AC fan isnt working.. since ACs are his obsession. and he would look at it and cry and bang his head on the ground repeatedly.

i fixed it after they went to their dad's though (After telling him with great hesitation worrying that he would think
i was trying to get pity)

so he told me it was fixable.. fixed (using dad's instructions)...
but it's still v hot because my house is structured badly and everything is bad.

i'd rather be cold.

i put coconut milk (from a can, organic --
only cuz organic type smells pleasant )
not only in his g tube feed--
but also mixed with water on his skin the past two days.

it has a cooling/soothing effect. especially on the scalp.
instantly you will feel much better.

it works on me too.
you should try it.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 8:34 pm

What really gets me is humidity (which usually comes along with heat in the American midwest). I detest being even remotely damp (unless I am submerged in water, but even then getting in and out of water is highly unpleasant - then it’s the change from dry to wet or wet to dry that gets me, I think), including being in high humidity and also including sweating even a tiny bit. So even if it isn’t humid, I’d rather be too cool than too warm because at least I wouldn’t sweat. I used to have a high heat tolerance (around 80 F was optimal for me and I would wear a jacket even in summer because it didn’t make me too hot outside but air conditioning inside was usually too cold for me), but when I had lymphoma I would randomly get hot/sweaty, and it seems to have thrown my internal thermostat off even afterward.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 1:00 am

I voted for cold, but only as the lesser of two evils. Nearest thing to optimum for me is around 74F, though it depends how my body is feeling, and I could feel either too hot or too cold at that temperature. Air flow rate and humidity make a difference too. Anything below 74F or above it tends to feel uncomfortable. I usually wear open shirts and jackets that I can easily remove and put back on again to try to keep myself at a comfortable temperature. Cold is marginally preferable because it's usually easier to add layers of clothing to warm up, or exercise, than to find ways of cooling down. I've just had to turn down a music performance because it's on the 4th of July out of doors in the middle of the day in Arkansas. The locals don't find that uncomfortable, but last time I tried it they practically had to carry me back to the car after an hour. My skin is also prone to itching and the heat seems to make it worse.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 2:16 am

I prefer hot weather at least 100 degrees.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 3:00 am

Was conceived and born in the US southwest desert and raised in the southeast and deep south with a couple brief excursions to Rhode Island.
Until the endocrine and other diseases got intense enough to really disrupt life I was healthiest and happiest in warm climates.
Now my body poorly tolerates heat in addition to cold.

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

24 May 2021, 10:55 am

I grew up in NE Alabama, so I got both 100+ for a good month in summer and below freezing for a few weeks most winters. Now I'm in SF, so it's around the 60s for a high and the high 40s/low 50s for a low year round. The main difference between now and February this year (and most years) is that it's sunnier in February. Once the "summer pattern" establishes itself, it stays pretty foggy in this southwest corner of the city.
I don't miss the heat, and REALLY don't miss the combo of heat/humidity (never liked those days when both were above 90.) I do miss actual cold sometimes, though. I always loved late fall and winter. I miss seasonal variations, except for that summer business.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 2:00 pm

I don't like hot weather; it wearies me.

I love air-conditioning.

I didn't have consistent air-conditioning at home until I was in my 50s.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 3:00 pm

I don't like heat, but overall I'd rather be in a hot / cloudy place than a cold / sunny place.

Sunshine is worse for me than heat.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 7:51 pm

my first taste of a/c was at my aunt's house in baldwin park, california in 1971. since then i have valued it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:52 pm

I'm very sensitive to the heat. I like colder weather.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 6:48 am

I dread temperatures of 24°c plus. I wish I lived by the sea on those days, but at least I live on a hillside where there's always something of a breeze, it's not as bad as living in a valley in a town or city where you're breathing in the pollution mixed in with humidly.

I can still afford to heat my home in winter, but if I lose my ability to do that then my perceptions of cold weather will no doubt change. At the moment cold weather is only a problem if the pavements become icy.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 8:55 pm

I like all types of weather, but mostly cold.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 8:57 pm

I don't really hate heat, it's just the strong UV rays that are the problem more than anything else.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 1:06 am

the humidity added to the heat is just miserable.