Masking can you be doing it and not know it?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

latency
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2020, 4:03 pm

This is that has come to my mind recently and I was just wondering if this is possible.
Also, how do you mask?

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2020, 4:16 pm

Yes.

If you want to actively mask, look at how NT people around you act, speak, dress, and think, and then try to imitate that.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 4:33 pm

latency wrote:
This is that has come to my mind recently and I was just wondering if this is possible.
Also, how do you mask?

I mean you definitely can if your doing it subconciously. Personally, I've never masked. Inorder to answer the question of hwo you mask you need to understand what masking is?

What is masking? Masking is trying to hide the fact you are autistic by trying to appear neurotypical. Most people use this in a social context but it doesn't' necessarily have to be.
Masking in a Social context, people tend to do this
Study social gestures and expressions
Memorizes phrases and lines.
Try to learn social cues.
Not stimming or fidgeting etc.
Work on eye contact (If you are like me you might do way to much eye contact)

Those are just some of the things you should focus on.
Now, I can imagine a few scenarios where you'd eb masking and not know it. (Which i guess is true in a way.)
A. You are in denial that you are autistic and think that all people do it.
B. Your so mentally screwed that you can't tell the difference between what you mean to do and what not. You lack the barrier between intention and action. You struggle to understand what causes you to act a certain way. or Lack the understanding completely. I've been under this category and still fall under here to some extent.
C. You are subconsciously masking and aren't fully aware of it.

Those are some of the scenarios that come to mind. I guess that it's also possible that since you don't knwo what masking is you can't know that you are doing it.

Personally, I can't recommend masking because it's takes to much of a toll on you in the long run. You should only mask if absolutely necessary. IMO if you need to mask for an extended period of time. You probably shouldn't be in the situation in the first place. I realize this isn't always na option though.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 4:39 pm

Yes. Masking is the set of skills you developed when interacting with NTs. I mask mostly in trying to soften my ideas and presenting them in softer ways. Not always successful.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 4:43 pm

Yes.
I found I mask in more then one way.
What I call automatic masking which has been learned over a period of time to such an extent that one does it automatically, and then manual masking where one will be constantly thinking to mask on top of this in a manual way.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 4:47 pm

secion B of previous post .

and yes have been so used to observing NT behaviour can appear to fit in using mimicry
uually by applying previous experiences and observations , and thank heaven for that or my situaion could be far worse that it has been .occasionally these
decisions have to be made manually. depending on social complexities.

where ever you go ,there you are

INTJ185
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2020, 8:05 pm

I use "masking" to refer to two types: 1) outward and 2) inward.
I do not know or care if anyone uses these terms differently.
I've gotten to the point where outward masking can be, at times, fairly subconscious. If you've learned a foreign language but no longer have to think in your native language to translate from then you know what it's like.

1) outward masking - once I identify a behaviour of mine that others either don't like or don't understand, I deliberately change what it is I do when I know I'm doing or about to do something that does not end well for me. I've gotten pretty good at identifying those moments but they're like stopping a sneeze....lots of awareness and focus and luck.

The easiest "mask" is nothing...a contemplative stoicism that buys me time to get past that immediate moment so I can think of a scene in a tv show or movie where the guy was in a similar situation and did something that worked out well. It's surprising, to me, how easily adaptable a few movie scenes are to a variety of real-life situations. Just don't pick a comedy. LOL. There are others but this is the gist of it.

2) inward masking - primarily used for those "overwhelming" or "outburst" triggers where one compartmentalizes the feeling and forcibly replaces it with something else. For me, that something else is usually humour; usually a Monty Python sort of humour.

Inward masking usually also requires a "surrender to the moment"...giving up what I want. I've learned this surrendering over several years. It's gotten easier to do but takes a long time to recover from (hours to days). Sex can speed up the recovery process...seriously, sex works for me.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 10:37 pm

I think so. If by that you mean you aren't consciously thinking bout it. I used to have to think in depth about how I presented myself to others but now it comes very naturally.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 1:08 am

Yes. I was copying and mimicking other kids in my class when I was 6 and 7 and thought that was normal behavior at school. My parents found out and they put me in a regular class with regular kids so I would be around kids that modeled appropriate behavior for me. I have an online friend and he would call this being a copy cat.

If your special needs kid can mimic others, do not put them in self contained classrooms and be careful what programs you put them in or what special school you send them to that are for kids with disabilities or else they will mimic that behavior they do that isn't neurotypical.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

randomusername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2020, 1:56 pm

Last edited by randomusername on 04 Aug 2020, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 3:33 pm

Can relate to scripting growing up , and was able to build a vocabulary by doing this and some intense interest in a set of encyclopedias. As early as 5 or 6 years old. Used sound like I was talking to myself . I thought sometimes.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 10:18 pm

Scripting everything is how I floated by for the past 19 years. Observing other people, practicing what I learn, thinking of scripts for every possible social scenario. Intently keeping track of what works and what doesn't work, and rethinking my script when it doesn't get a good reaction from others. I can't really go "off script" or things get confusing and I noticed that even in my writing, I reuse phrases a lot. I also only figured out "masking" was a thing probably a year ago, or not even a year ago.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 2:14 am

latency wrote:

Yes it is.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 2:22 am

i never was able to mask, i never was able to hide me from anybody else. i never was able to follow a script.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 10:27 am

Certain situations when your dealing with possible life changing events or. Potentially life changing , my tendency towards thinking what am I gonna say if this comes up , or the other thing .for days in advance . And add alittle mimicry and there you Go ,
You maybe able to get through a conversation . That has potential to go off in a bad direction .
A few people , after I get to know them , I find myself unmasking to a certain degree . Requires little to no. Scripting
Society seems to have certain scripts for initial interactions. Are like prepared answers for some social interactions.
Occasionally just going To a smile , and being silent too , has helped me get through sometimes .

hariboci
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2020, 2:32 pm

Yes, it's possible. I was diagnosed this year and I was never fully aware of masking. I remember when I went through th diagnostic criteria and was thinking "me, stimming? highly unlikely", but then I observed myself for weeks and realized I do it very often, mostly alone and in public settings under the table. Same went for losing attention, I made up games not to get bored. For example as I'm an anime fan, I learned voices from anime and also some social clues from Japanese conversations (they tend to say short words to ensure the other person they are still listening and paying attention. Something like "oh really?", "no way!", "hmm hmm"). So I started using these in my own language and.. fell in love with my own voice :D This way it's funny to listen to someone, even if I don't pay attention.