Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MegamanJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Aug 2020, 4:45 pm

Hello I am new here and I'm trying to learn how to use this site I hope to get along with everyone.

I have made this topic to ask if anybody knows the definitive version all of the Pokemon series. I want to know which version of Generation 1, 2, and 3 is the best version to play. Should I play the originals or the remakes? Can anyone give me some good advice?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 5:55 pm

For gen 1, assuming you don't mean remakes, you'll probably want red or blue. Yellow is what you want if you're a big Pikachu fan, altho you can't evolve Pikachu in yellow. If remakes are included, then FireRed and leafgreen are great remakes updated for gen 3.
Crystal is the definitive gen 2 game easily. HeartGold and SoulSilver are excellent remakes a la gen 4.
Emerald is the best of the gen 3 games, and Omega Ruby and alpha sapphire are both good remakes for the 3ds.

Tldr:
Gen 1 - red/blue
Gen 2 - crystal
Gen 3 - emerald

Also consider which Pokemon are exclusive to which versions so you don't miss our on using a Pokemon you want to use by starting the wrong game

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 8:49 am

My personal picks would be:

Gen 1: Yellow. You get Pikachu and all the 3 starters from Red and Blue. Win-win to me.

Gen 2: Crystal

Gen 3: Emerald.

If you include originals versus remakes, I'd recommend remakes. Corrupt save files were a big deal with the Johto games unfortunately, and that reason alone is enough for me to prefer the remakes, HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Leaf green /Fire red, HGSS and ORAS are all great remakes.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MegamanJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2020, 5:00 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
For gen 1, assuming you don't mean remakes, you'll probably want red or blue. Yellow is what you want if you're a big Pikachu fan, altho you can't evolve Pikachu in yellow. If remakes are included, then FireRed and leafgreen are great remakes updated for gen 3.
Crystal is the definitive gen 2 game easily. HeartGold and SoulSilver are excellent remakes a la gen 4.
Emerald is the best of the gen 3 games, and Omega Ruby and alpha sapphire are both good remakes for the 3ds.

Tldr:
Gen 1 - red/blue
Gen 2 - crystal
Gen 3 - emerald

Also consider which Pokemon are exclusive to which versions so you don't miss our on using a Pokemon you want to use by starting the wrong game

thank you very much for the information it really helps me out. I think I may do Yellow Version for Gen 1 then Heart Gold or Soul Silver for Gen 2 then Emerald version for Gen 3 Heart Gold and Soul Silver all remakes of Gold Silver and Crystal so I think the remakes of Gen 2 are the definitive version and if it's true which one should I get? what do you think?

enz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 6:42 pm

Do you know fire emblem. Final fantasy and dragon quest?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 10:51 pm

MegamanJ wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

Tldr:
Gen 1 - red/blue
Gen 2 - crystal
Gen 3 - emerald

thank you very much for the information it really helps me out. I think I may do Yellow Version for Gen 1 then Heart Gold or Soul Silver for Gen 2 then Emerald version for Gen 3 Heart Gold and Soul Silver all remakes of Gold Silver and Crystal so I think the remakes of Gen 2 are the definitive version and if it's true which one should I get? what do you think?

As has been said, Yellow is probably more 'definitive' than Blue/Red. But be forewarned that Yellow is probably the hardest of the gen 1 games. That was my main reasoning for not recommending it over R/B. Brock is very hard without Bulbasaur or Squirtle. The Nidorans with double kick and Butterfree with confusion are your best bet for dealing with Brock. Pikachu will also start to fall behind the rest of your team after the midgame since you can't evolve it into Raichu. It's still very good, and it's the first game where you have a companion pokemon walking around with you.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Aug 2020, 10:22 am

I’d strongly recommend Fire Red/Leaf Green over Red and Blue (or Yellow). They are much more “usable”, with lots of bugs fixed as well as small usability improvements.

HG/SS, along with the Black and White games, are probably the franchise’s peak.

Then Emerald vs ORAS is a tough call. Emerald has the benefit of being a “merged” version. While ORAS has some clear improvements (particularly the physical-special split) and an excellent post-game, but it’s also around the time that the franchise started to decline so it is a very straightforward game.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2020, 1:37 pm

Remakes are usually better. There's always added content and you can get more Pokemon, in addition to better graphics.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 4:37 pm

Gen 1: Yellow
Its' a great game plus if you are playing on GBC it has color and isn't just red/blue which really annoys me.
Gen 2: HGSS, Probalby the best pokemon game. But it is long.
Gen 3: Emerald or ORAS Emerald is a great game so is oras.