Page 5 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 9:45 am

So with all of this being said, the question I have is; Can there be Red, Yellow, Brown or Black supremacists or is supremacy solely a peculiarity of white persons?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 11:22 am

Just as racism is not for "whites only" phenomenon, neither is racial supremacy for "whites only".

People of every race can be racist, people of every sex/gender can be sexist, people of every age can be ageist, et cetera.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 11:29 am

Surely the valuing of paler skin in non-white countries counts as a form of classism rather than racism? Since it's not about association with white people, but rather a presumption about what kind of work you do. Thus I don't see how that can be sorted under the same heading as actual White Supremacists.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 11:43 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Surely the valuing of paler skin in non-white countries counts as a form of classism rather than racism? Since it's not about association with white people, but rather a presumption about what kind of work you do. Thus I don't see how that can be sorted under the same heading as actual White Supremacists.
I'm approaching this from the perspective of white skin color rather than a white "race"; but you can witness what I'm talking about in cultures where white-skinned foreigners are given greater deference than dark-skinned natives.

Racism and classism are closely related, and European features are often preferred by members of non-European cultures.  For evidence, you need look no further than Anime, Manga, and all their various genres -- you will rarely (if ever) see a character that has distinctly Asian features unless that character is a very minor one, even though Anime and Manga are created mostly by Asian artists; and although the characters' names are usually Asian, they still usually look European (and almost never African).

You can also see advertisements on billboards and television broadcasts for skin-whitening creams in the Philippines and India (at least I have).  People from those countries also come to the Los Angeles area to have cosmetic surgery to make them look more "white" (i.e., nose jobs, permanent hair removal, bone sculpting, removal of the epicanthic fold, et cetera).

There is nothing "supreme" about being "white", so why do even non-white people act as if the opposite was true?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 11:58 am

I've wondered why Anime/manga characters look white, and from what I've gathered; they don't. To asian people, anime/manga characters look asian.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-anime-char ... te?share=1

I agree, white skin is actually kind of a pain utlity-whise (I fell asleep in the sun during a trip to greece, spent rest of vacation red as a lobster, and then shedding like a lizard). But historically, paler skin meant nobility, and more recently white-collar work. Both indications of wealth. So in order for this particular trend to go away, I guess you'd have to make wealth not an attractive trait.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 12:10 pm

Interesting, If One Gets Around Enough
'Over Here', Even in Trump Town And Metro
USA; What One May Find Among the Younger Generations
At Large is 'Darker' is becoming Considered More Attractive
in Fearless Ways Now
Than 'Lighter'
Hunched
Over 'A Screen';
'Incel Phenomenon'
As 'They' Say; Always
A Cultural Phenomenon;
Changing Without Limit as years go bye...
Nature Doesn't Lie About Pre-conceived Notions
as Nature
Pleases...

in all
of Us still Now...

Changing; Always Changing...
As Some of the Weaker And Cowardlier Fears of Older
Ages of so-Called 'White Supremacy' Are Indeed coming true for real.... now

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 12:12 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
So with all of this being said, the question I have is; Can there be Red, Yellow, Brown or Black supremacists or is supremacy solely a peculiarity of white persons?
Anyone can be a supremacist,and those supremacy groups do exist.There are over a billion in China,you don't think they fell superior,there is a disconnect between American/Euro media outlets and Chinese media outlets,so we don't hear much of it.

Black supremacy is quite popular in the US particularly back in the 70's,but the 1970's era black power groups evolved into black street gangs in the 80's.Sort of mirroring the Yuppies who gave up on Hippie political convictions to make money in the 80's.Black power groups did the same and gave political convictions to sell drugs and make money in the go go 1980's.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 12:16 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I've wondered why Anime/manga characters look white, and from what I've gathered; they don't. To asian people, anime/manga characters look asian.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-anime-char ... te?share=1

I agree, white skin is actually kind of a pain utlity-whise (I fell asleep in the sun during a trip to greece, spent rest of vacation red as a lobster, and then shedding like a lizard). But historically, paler skin meant nobility, and more recently white-collar work. Both indications of wealth. So in order for this particular trend to go away, I guess you'd have to make wealth not an attractive trait.
Some Asians in Japan and Korea do have pale white skin although they still strong Asian facial features.Slav's and Cossacks could have gone east of the Urals and into southern Siberia thousands of years ago and inter bred with people in North Asia,what is now Japan or Korea.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 12:33 pm

If we want to get very picky about it, the current inhabitants of Japan are descendent from the Chinese and Korean Mainland. The ur-inhabitants of what is Japan today were the Ainu. Who worshipped bears and grew some absolutely glorious beards.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 1:56 pm

^^^
Ainu have decent Russian orthodox community,they could have been indigenous Siberians who intermingled with western Russians.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 4:21 pm

Not sure what the original post is asking.

"White surpremecy" is simply the belief that Whites as a race are superior to all other races. Like antisemitism its a form of bigotry.

It's like asking "what constitutes left handedness?" The answer would be "the propensity to write using your left hand". There isnt a whole lot to it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 4:55 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Theyre CAN be any kind of bigotry you want, or can imagine.

And there pretty much IS every kind of bigotry you can imagine.

The trouble is is that its the combination of "bigotry plus power" that makes bigotry a problem. Whites have the most power, world over, so its White supremacy that is the problem.

But moving on to other points.

The phrase "aspie surpremacy" often appears on WP. It means "the belief that aspies are superior to NTs, and to all other neurotypes". Kind of the aspie equivalent of Farrakhan, and early Malcolm X, of responding to a lifetime of mistreatment by NTs by being reverse prejudiced against NTs.

And returning to race:in the Seventies there was a short lived movement among American Hispanics called "La Raza"('the race')which might be called "Brown Supremacy". It died out. But it went beyond being a call for equality to crossing the line into racism. But they at least gave racism a novel spin: unlike White racists (like Hitler and like American segregationists) who prized racial purity, the slogan of La Raza was "we are the people of peoples". Their notion of surpremacy came from how UN pure they are- "Spain is the product of the Moors mixing with Europeans, and then the Spaniards crossed the sea to found Latin America, by mixing with the native Americans, and with African slaves. So we are 'the people of peoples'".

Basically "we are superior precisely because we are a mixture of everything". Kinda turning traditional racism on its head.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 6:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Racism and classism are closely related, and European features are often preferred by members of non-European cultures. For evidence, you need look no further than Anime, Manga, and all their various genres -- you will rarely (if ever) see a character that has distinctly Asian features unless that character is a very minor one, even though Anime and Manga are created mostly by Asian artists; and although the characters' names are usually Asian, they still usually look European (and almost never African).

Resident anime nerd here. Anime characters are usually made in such a way that it is pretty easy to insert one's race, Caucasian or Asian. In shows where there are some caucasian characters in addition to the general Japanese, often they will sterotypically have the general features of being a shade lighter than other characters, and probably a bit taller with blonde hair and blue eyes, often just being half is enough for a character to have these features.

Pick out the non-asian character.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 6:06 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Racism and classism are closely related, and European features are often preferred by members of non-European cultures. For evidence, you need look no further than Anime, Manga, and all their various genres -- you will rarely (if ever) see a character that has distinctly Asian features unless that character is a very minor one, even though Anime and Manga are created mostly by Asian artists; and although the characters' names are usually Asian, they still usually look European (and almost never African).

Resident anime nerd here. Anime characters are usually made in such a way that it is pretty easy to insert one's race, Caucasian or Asian. In shows where there are some caucasian characters in addition to the general Japanese, often they will sterotypically have the general features of being a shade lighter than other characters, and probably a bit taller with blonde hair and blue eyes, often just being half is enough for a character to have these features.

Pick out the non-asian character.

Yes. Animie is made for export. So the characters are deliberately racially ambiguous.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Aug 2020, 3:34 am

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
I'm approaching this from the perspective of white skin color rather than a white "race"; but you can witness what I'm talking about in cultures where white-skinned foreigners are given greater deference than dark-skinned natives.

Racism and classism are closely related, and European features are often preferred by members of non-European cultures.  For evidence, you need look no further than Anime, Manga, and all their various genres -- you will rarely (if ever) see a character that has distinctly Asian features unless that character is a very minor one, even though Anime and Manga are created mostly by Asian artists; and although the characters' names are usually Asian, they still usually look European (and almost never African).

You can also see advertisements on billboards and television broadcasts for skin-whitening creams in the Philippines and India (at least I have).  People from those countries also come to the Los Angeles area to have cosmetic surgery to make them look more "white" (i.e., nose jobs, permanent hair removal, bone sculpting, removal of the epicanthic fold, et cetera).

There is nothing "supreme" about being "white", so why do even non-white people act as if the opposite was true?

In my short period of being cosmetics nerd, I learned about it: East Asian elegantes - especially South East Asian ones - can do craziest things not get tanned. Being tanned is associated with working in fields, thus, being lower social class.
Similar associations were common in Renaissance Europe, probably other periods, too, but from 20th century onwards, social meaning of tan changed in Europe.
When I was a child and teenager, and travelling was quite limited by verious factors, the most fashionable look here was being tanned to impossibility - strong tan suggested you could afford exotic holidays. In 1990s, the market reacted with artificial solaria, health concerns were raised and as I entered adulthood, unnaturally strong tan became associated with bad taste. Current fashion for fitness promotes "natural" tan suggesting you spend at least some time outdoors.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Last edited by magz on 07 Aug 2020, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 3:44 am

Wolfram87 wrote:

Scholars such as John Dower (“War Without Mercy,” 1987) and Frederik Schodt (“Dreamland Japan,” 1996) have noted that the Japanese practice of rendering themselves with Caucasian physical features began during the Meiji Era (1868-1912), when Japan began to adopt, assimilate and internalize virtually all things Western: fashion, educational and political systems, and artistic and literary styles to name a few. At its most extreme, Meiji thinkers even advocated intermarriage with whites to kairyō suru (improve upon) the Japanese race.

This desire for racial improvement found graphic expression in the practice of the Japanese reimagining themselves as Caucasian in appearance. According to Dower, during the Sino-Japanese War (1894-95) woodblock prints portrayed Japanese combatants as “essentially Caucasian figures: tall and fair-complexioned, with long, almost rectangular faces.” The Chinese, however, retained their racial features and were depicted as short, round-faced and yellow-skinned.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/ ... ans-court/