definitive version of Pokemon gen 1

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MegamanJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2020, 4:15 pm

could someone please tell me what version of Pokemon gen 1 is the best to play for the originals there's red, blue, green, and yellow, and for the remakes there's Fire Red, Leaf Green, let's go Pikachu, and let's go Eevee, I would like someone to please tell me which version is the best in Generation 1.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2020, 8:23 pm

The original Red and Green were Japanese, the English versions being Red and Blue, so any Green version would be the original Japanese, that would probably be hard to play, with I think some improvements were added to the English Red and Blue, and Yellow afterwards. But I have seen general talk that all of these original gen 1 games are pretty dated now and can be pretty hard to play. Yellow otherwise might be better, if you think having one member of your party always be Pikachu, I believe they balanced the games a bit better

From what I am aware, Fire Red and Leaf Green are probably a pretty solid remake and probably better definitively as part of the general Pokémon formulae, Game Freak were well experienced at that point, and would probably be representative of the franchise as a whole. Either one being fine, just dependent on certain game exclusive Pokémon you might rather: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen_Versions#Game-exclusive_Pok.C3.A9mon

But I don't think that Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee should be discounted. I had low expectations for the game, but ended up loving Let's Go Eevee, and I would honestly say that if things like presentation are important, some of the charm of CGI models and your partner Pikachu or Eevee, it is well worth considering. It removes things like battling against wild Pokémon in favour of mostly a throwing system. While not quite definitive for the main Pokémon games, I think that it is filled with charm via character customization (including your partner Pikachu or Eevee), you can have Pokémon follow you or even ride them. I was kind of in love with playing with my partner Eevee. It is also on the easier side, to the point it could be made even more trivial by having two players go against opponents, but I think that it can still act as a nice entry way going forward.

At this point, I am not sure how easy it would be to get Fire Red and Leaf Green, maybe if you got an old cartridge and one of the old handholds that play it; a Gameboy Advance or DS that has a Gameboy Advance slot. I am not sure what Red, Blue and Yellow can be played on, I believe that it used to downloadable on 3DS, but I can't be sure if that is still the case, I know that the original cartridges had their internal batteries run out so you would be unable to save. Let's Go games probably the easiest to get on the Switch.