Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 10:14 am

Almost every day someone throws out a new fear to grab our attention. Perhaps the world will just collapse on fear overload and become immune. People will go about their normal daily lives without fear because they build up walls to block the latest craze of fear paranoia. I guess one can only hope!

Digital content will be half 'Earth's mass' by 2245 as 'information catastrophe' looms

Digital content is on track to equal half of Earth’s mass by 2245, according to new research.

The research by Dr. Melvin Vopson, a senior lecturer at the U.K.’s University of Portsmouth, highlights the physics of information creation and the demands of storing vast quantities of digital data.

“Assuming the current growth trends in digital content continue, the world will reach a singularity point in terms of the maximum digital information possibly created and the power needs to sustain it, called the information catastrophe,” Vopson writes, in a paper published in AIP Advances, the journal of the American Institute of Physics.

The “information catastrophe” will add to existing global challenges such as climate, environment, population, food, health, energy and security, according to the researcher.

The study examines the “incredible” growth of digital bits, the unit used to measure computer data. In the singularity point, more digital bits will be created than atoms on the planet. “At the same time, the digital information production alone will consume most of the planetary power capacity,” Vopson writes.

With current data storage densities, the number of bits produced per year and the size of a bit compared to the size of an atom, at a rate of 50% annual growth, the number of bits would equal the number of atoms on Earth in approximately 150 years, according to a press release on the research. Vopson says it would be approximately 130 years until the power needed to sustain digital information creation would equal all the power currently produced on our planet. By 2245, the research says, half of Earth's mass would be digital information mass.

“In the extreme case scenario when our digital information production growth is sustained at 50% per year, by the year 2070, we will have 1 kg of digital bits content on the planet stored on all the traditional and cloud data storage centers and endpoints such as PCs, smart-phones, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices,” the author explained, in the research study. “Similarly, at 50% growth per year, by the year 2245, half of the planet’s mass will be made up of digital bits.”

--------------------------------------

So probably I will make two predictions here:

#1 Long before the year 2245 the Earth will be struck by a massive solar storm and that will result in a massive destruction of digital information. Yes, even in cloud storage. So always back up your digital content.

#2 So much of the digital content is waste. We store everything because we do not want to take the time to delete digital content that is no longer needed. Well someone in the future will develop a computer program to eliminate the waste. Artificial Intelligence will determine our digital storage needs and eliminate waste to a manageable level.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 3:57 pm

"Hello, time traveller! What's it like in the 25th Century?"
"We demolished all the planets in the Solar System and ripped atom from atom to create a Dyson Swarm made of pure computronium."
"What? Why?!"
"Needed somewhere to store all our pirated hi-def holovision files."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 4:00 pm

As someone who's worked around hundreds of TB of data for a living, this is all a question of formatting, compression, sampling & filesystems.

Just format almost everything & be done with it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: