Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 6:20 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic? Maybe this would do better in Random Discussions? But it has to deal with female deities. For those who are either fascinated with ancient mythology or actually practice Goddess Worship (like I sorta do). Talk all about your favorite goddesses here! :queen:

My top three favorites are Hestia the Greek Goddess of the hearth and protector of the home. Basically a spinster goddess who refused to ever marry, she would stay in the palace of the gods tending the fire while staying out of the problems that the gods were causing for mortals.

Pele the Hawaiian Goddess of fire and volcanoes. Let's just say you never wanted to get on her bad side!

And Benzaiten the Japanese Goddess of art, beauty, and music. One of the Seven Gods of Luck (and the only Goddess in the group). Some sources also claim that she was connected to war, and there is an interesting myth about her taming a river dragon with the lute she always carries and making the dragon her companion (sorta like beauty and the beast).

Also even though she is more a Jewish demon than a goddess, I find Lilith fascinating. The rebellious first wife of Adam who ran away from Eden after refusing to lie beneath her male companion and thus God cursed her and turned her into a demon.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 6:35 pm

I've always dug Loki's daughter Hel, the Norse BBW whose body is half-black and half-white, with the bones on one side of her body showing.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 6:40 pm

Romofan wrote:
I've always dug Loki's daughter Hel, the Norse BBW whose body is half-black and half-white, with the bones on one side of her body showing.

I really should read more about Norse mythology. I sorta know who the Valkries were. They sounded pretty cool. :viking:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 12:14 am

Question: do modern revisions of deities/modern interpretations and literary deities count?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 12:23 am

their stories always put me off-- but i was always called Medusa by my brothers and mother. (my mom joined in most taunting, she thinks girls shouldn't have too high of a self-esteem because life is gonna break it anyway so if u have little to begin with it's 'easier to adjust' i.e. not as painful :roll: )
also, Mother Gothel from Tangled, but she is just a witch.

actually the only one I do like is Athena except for what she did to Medusa which makes NO sense - but nothing ever does in mythology. I know Medusa is basically a monster (considered to be) but she was maybe the one person I had a soft spot for in Greek mythology because she did NOT deserve it at ALL.

i've read all kinds of mythology, even went through a phase of reading aboriginal peoples' mythology in n. america and places like papua new guinea.. i do remember Pele and remember hating her.
but mythology in general is hard to remember, it just becomes too random too fast.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 1:45 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
actually the only one I do like is Athena except for what she did to Medusa which makes NO sense - but nothing ever does in mythology. I know Medusa is basically a monster (considered to be) but she was maybe the one person I had a soft spot for in Greek mythology because she did NOT deserve it at ALL.

i've read all kinds of mythology, even went through a phase of reading aboriginal peoples' mythology in n. america and places like papua new guinea.. i do remember Pele and remember hating her.
but mythology in general is hard to remember, it just becomes too random too fast.

Remember the outcomes of those sorts of stories tend to be based on human emotional reactions and NOT on logic.

Last edited by smudge on 17 Aug 2020, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 1:49 am

what i don't get is when 'female jealousy' occurs (and the 'vengeance' ) for no discernible reason (like no romantic/sexual reason for it).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 1:51 am

Romofan wrote:

She's a "Hell" of a gal. :mrgreen:

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 1:53 am

Pepe wrote:
Romofan wrote:

and you had the gall..
to tell someone else on another thread that you had the feeling they had a lot of time on their hands :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 1:56 am

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Romofan wrote:

I really should read more about Norse mythology. I sorta know who the Valkries were. They sounded pretty cool. :viking:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 1:57 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Romofan wrote:

and you had the gall..
to tell someone else on another thread that you had the feeling they had a lot of time on their hands :lol:

We both have. (read the spoiler, guys/gals.) :mrgreen:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 2:04 am

Romofan wrote:

Well, not so much half-black half-white as half-living and half-corpse.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 2:07 am

1889 depiction

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 2:33 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Romofan wrote:

Well, not so much half-black half-white as half-living and half-corpse.

Did she inherit her father's penchant for mischief or does she take after her mother Sigyn?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 3:42 am

Hel's mother is a jotun named Angrboða. And Loki at least has a sense of humour, so I'd say she's her mother's daughter.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 4:36 am

Ah so Sigyn is Loki's second wife.