Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Crazy_Ben
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2007, 1:49 am

Before I was in H.S., people always treated me as an odd one. It sucked. Kids used to make fun of me at lunch time and during P.E. It sucked. Girls would look the other way when I tried to strike up conversation. H.S. was scarcely better, except that many called me a genius and the like and that really gave me more confidence that at least I could SOMETHING right, well study I mean. But beyond that, H.S. was a bore and a waste of my time and I had only 3 good friends in that whole 3 years I was down here in Florida. College was still bad for a couple of years, then something changed. I was sure I was good at what I chose to be good at, and from that flowed the confidence that often helps me greatly. Yeah, sometimes I'm nervous about going to new places, new settings, meeting new people. But's it largely the interesting friends I've made, the girls I had a chance with (at least for sex if not much more in most cases) that have made me sure of my own Self. I tell you though Byrlawson, it was my old roommate, who was more Aspie than me!, that taught me some of the secrets of "proper" social interactions, and despite that I'm still considered a wild and unruly guy!
Anyhow, you can do it! Whatever it is you want. I believe that. It might take a long time, it took me years of careful practice to even remotely blend into this harsh fuc@#$ NT world we live in, but I did it and I hope you can too. And have some fun bro.

Crazy_Ben
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2007, 1:50 am

Before I was in H.S., people always treated me as an odd one. It sucked. Kids used to make fun of me at lunch time and during P.E. It sucked. Girls would look the other way when I tried to strike up conversation. H.S. was scarcely better, except that many called me a genius and the like and that really gave me more confidence that at least I could SOMETHING right, well study I mean. But beyond that, H.S. was a bore and a waste of my time and I had only 3 good friends in that whole 3 years I was down here in Florida. College was still bad for a couple of years, then something changed. I was sure I was good at what I chose to be good at, and from that flowed the confidence that often helps me greatly. Yeah, sometimes I'm nervous about going to new places, new settings, meeting new people. But's it largely the interesting friends I've made, the girls I had a chance with (at least for sex if not much more in most cases) that have made me sure of my own Self. I tell you though Byrlawson, it was my old roommate, who was more Aspie than me!, that taught me some of the secrets of "proper" social interactions, and despite that I'm still considered a wild and unruly guy!
Anyhow, you can do it! Whatever it is you want. I believe that. It might take a long time, it took me years of careful practice to even remotely blend into this harsh fuc@#$ NT world we live in, but I did it and I hope you can too. And have some fun bro.

Crazy_Ben
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2007, 1:51 am

Crazy_Ben
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2007, 1:52 am

byrlawson
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2007, 5:45 am

It seems I was not fair and you do not deserve what I told about you. I have experienced most of the positive things you write here as well when I started going to university but I was in my mid-twenties then.

I have a big box here with the advice "go out more and have fun" that got filled up by well meaning people for 20 years. It is the sheer sound of these words that drives me mad because all they did was telling me about a deficiency I already knew about again, again and again. My posts were most probably driven be emotion, unwise and unreflected.

Sorry. I did neither want to hurt or provoke anyone nor do him injustice. I will do better in the future.

byrlawson
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2007, 6:05 am

Okay, I am going to frank and honest here. What striked me most in your post was

"I would be positively delighted if a woman, preferrably attractive and with nice tatts, pushed me away and said, "Go away!" and meant it I would be delighted, of course I wouldn't go anywhere, and neither should you."

Giving these words first and then telling the rest of the story provided a very explosive mixture for me. I am frustrated being 30 this year and still not having what could come close to a relationship.

That overall thing was very provocative to me but is certainly not your fault or anyone's else, just mine. I confess I would have preferred you being a bit more reluctant about that and a bit less showing your success. So yes, I most probably just envy you.

Asby
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2007, 7:12 am

zee wrote:
Asby wrote:
I've never been to a support group

But this IS a support group of sorts, isn't it?

No not really but if it is i want my money back :lol:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 9:06 am

If, like me, you're not too confident around the NTs, don't try to pretend to be 'cool' or anything just to fit in. Believe me, that is like getting a one way ticket to bully town. My advice is to find someone else who, like yourself is a bit of an outcast, basically someone who is more likely to be tolerant of you. The last thing you want is to make 'friends' with some jerk who's going to ditch you within a few weeks and make the rest of your school days miserable.

At my middle school, there was a whole group of us 'outcasts'. There's safety in numbers!

(1214683=safety...)

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2007, 3:08 am

zee wrote:
byrlawson wrote:
Crazy_Ben wrote:
xboxboy, I would be positively delighted if a woman, preferrably attractive and with nice tatts, pushed me away and said, "Go away!" and meant it :P I would be delighted, of course I wouldn't go anywhere, and neither should you. But you should consider getting out more, being social takes practice, but I doubt you are a 'helpless' case, they're fairly rare to be honest from what I've seen. Socialization is like proving math theorems, the more you practice, the better you'll become at it.

Just that easy, eh? I personally think you have no idea what you are talking about.

'Socialization is like proving math theorems, the more you practice, the better you'll become at it.'

Yes and no. There is an 'upper ceiling' for that. I am going to be 30 this year and the best I can do is having social events happening around me, but not with, or, not to think about, even for me. Picking people and events not for being great but choosing what makes you the least miserable, is it that? Aha. Can I have my money back, please?

Sorry for being that negative but I am absolutely and unforgivably fed up with advice-givers like you. If there would be easy ways I and of course others too would have found it. It is not like "not wanting or not knowing". It is like "not having much of a choice".

Please stop telling people your simple and probably well meant advice, it makes me miserable and feeling like an idiot reading or listening to it.

I think it's an issue of confidence, not AS. Some people, like Crazy_Ben, are confident and therefore more willing to try and be social. Others, including myself, have almost no confidence whatsoever. It's probably a matter of branching out. If you already have good relations with your family, it's easier to see the best in people, and if you're rejected, then you have people to support you. But if you don't get along with your family and you have no-one, then it's hard to take that step forward.

I'm going to agree with that about 100% of the people around me are NT's and They simply just don't understand

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

byrlawson
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2007, 7:35 am

Nobody should consider himself a helpless case. But there is more to that than just confidence issues. You can be shy and clumsy but certainly not be an aspie. Confidence does it all in those cases. You can have learning issues and social difficulties while never encountering autism. You can be overprotected by your parents, terrorized by siblings or make other experiencea causing you trouble. This is not AS. I do not talk about those cases here.

I also do not talk about adult life where aspies can have all the comfort they want, do the things they can do well or better than others and being respected and admired for what and how they are. This is adult life. Feeling welcomed to this world is absolutely great and it is there for you. For most if not for all aspies. Here you need the motivation and the confidence to use your chances and opportunities. There are three parts when it comes to opportunies: Having, seeing and using them.

But this thread here is about school. I hate to state it like that: There is no easy way. The resistance, often enough matching the notion of hostility aspies most likely experience is not imaginary or a matter of wrong perception: It is real.

Other kids and teenagers will realize an aspie is different. You can try hiding it but when you realized it, others will have realized it as well. Being different is a big issue here and while to stand up for oneself with confidence is a great thing in adult life being unvoluntarily different is a very bad thing in school because the big game played here means to make the best fit. To expect an autistic child to cope with that is expecting way too much. Having world and common sense against you is nothing you can cope with at the moment it happens to you.

I hate the notion that aspies would not have the guts to get themselves a life. This is not fair. An aspie who got through school with good or normal grades has already achieved more in his life than many NTs will be able to because NTs will never experience the same constant resistance and objection to their inner self aspies have to face from people around them for years. Not because an aspie would voluntarily do so but because an aspie hardly has got a choice.

I can only give a few advices here for those in school: Do not give it up! There is much more to life than the years in school. But you will never get to that without proper education (better let's call it a typical education). This also is true for NTs but certainly much more for aspies.

The social situation in school is one of the worst and hardest challenges an aspie can encounter. It is no surprise you are not coping well with it, it would be if you did. You can make choices with worse and better results and there is some degree of control. But the overall notion of failure that likely accompanies your life in school is simply not your fault.

I do not state it will be totally easy and that you will never have problems again once you are finished with school. But the odds for adult life being much better and offering many ways to success are certainly on the aspies' side.

(The former text only applies to people having been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrom. There are other problems and disorders affecting social life and school success. My words do not apply there. It is no reasonable strategy to excuse personal failure by sticking to the idea of having AS. That would not get you anywhere and is highly unfair towards the people who really have to cope with autistic disorders.)

Last edited by byrlawson on 08 Aug 2007, 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 7:42 am

NoNameGirl wrote:
I never eat lunch in school, because i dont want anyone to see me sitting alone. Its also hard on the breaks and we have to make groups, beacuse im always left out.
Does anyone else feel like this?

I did on Occasion. I used to hide in the bathrooms or go into the library. I hated team sports or whenever groups were supposed to be made.

But you've just got to be strong, you'll get through it. The good thing about being an adult is the fact you don't have to do ANYTHING you don't want to like this.

Edit: I see you're 15 so you only have a few more years to put up with. I know what it's like to be in your shoes so If you have any problems regarding school just throw me a message.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 2:21 am

I was a loner for pretty much my entire high school year. I'm hoping to turn over a new life.. leaf :) when I start at ASU this fall. I'm pretty excited about it. Can't wait!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 2:49 am

zee wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Very few people want to be my friend, and as far as a relationship goes, my chances of that are zero, due to the combination of AS and my age--unless she is an Aspie.

Tim

Well, relationships are a different story. You sound like a great guy, and if you lived in my area, I'd ask you out for coffee any day. :) I'm sure it's just a matter of time until you find your special woman... and don't forget that most girls prefer their BF to be a few years older than they are. It seems to me that you're heading to a ripe pasture.

Also, when I was in college, I wasn't in a serious relationship, nor were most of the people I knew. All that studying and being on your own for the first time should be enough of an experience!

But I would be nearly 10 years older than a lot of my fellow classmates. They would think I'm too old.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

zee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:30 am

Maybe some of them would, but not others. You're not doing yourself any favors with defeatist speculation, you know!

What type of school is it--college, univ., big or small?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:51 am

It's a small state school (about 6,000 students) about 115 miles northwest of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The name of the school is Midwestern State University, it's a very good school.

As for the type of person I am looking for, I have pretty much a rough idea. As for age, I do prefer people closer to my age (late 20s/early 30s), but I realize that many college students are younger than that.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

zee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 5:35 am

If it's a University College, then it should have grad students and undergrads. Most of these will be in their mid-late twenties, I would imagine. And many people in university studies take a year or more off, to travel, make money, and decide if it's really what they want.

Of course, you'll only meet a fraction of the 6000 people you're surrounded by. So the overall population doesn't really matter; it's more of a proportional thing. I went to a school of 40,000, but the program I was in was small. I only met a few dozen people to talk to, some of them were older. If you want to meet lots of people, you may want to find an on-campus job. :)