Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 5:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not having to worry about being shot when pulled over by police, not having people going to the other side of the street when I walk by in my business attire because they think I am going to mug them is not privilege, what it is, is not being discriminated against. Thinking these are unfair privileges is looking at a real problem the wrong way.
By analogy, does that also mean that having been born with attractive features and traits is not an unfair advantage of popular people?  If so, does the "I can't get a date" crowd know this?

There is also beauty privilege. People who are very attractive will not understand the struggles average looking people get.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not having to worry about being shot when pulled over by police, not having people going to the other side of the street when I walk by in my business attire because they think I am going to mug them is not privilege, what it is, is not being discriminated against. Thinking these are unfair privileges is looking at a real problem the wrong way.
By analogy, does that also mean that having been born with attractive features and traits is not an unfair advantage of popular people?  If so, does the "I can't get a date" crowd know this?

There is also beauty privilege. People who are very attractive will not understand the struggles average looking people get.

I know plenty of 'average' looking people who put attractive-looking people down all the time. Especially females. My brother's fiance is like this.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:13 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I know plenty of 'average' looking people who put attractive-looking people down all the time. Especially females. My brother's fiance is like this.

Maybe they are jealous. :wink:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:42 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Being born with great looks is an advantage. I do not think it is a privilege. I am short for a guy. That has definitely been a disadvantage that at times has led to bullying and discrimination against yours truly. "Normal" sized people are not privileged. The problem has been an unfair negative treatment of me, not unfair positive or normal treatment for them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:47 pm

I’m a shrimp myself :P

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Maybe they are jealous. :wink:

I think that's exactly it lol. But is it considered sexist to acknowledge this? :wink:

Off topic but Greek Mythology was filled with stories of beautiful women who were subjected to the wrath of Goddesses
for daring to be too pretty. Are females just naturally like that to any woman they view as a 'threat' or is it the result of a misogynistic society that has beat this idea of pretty girls being a 'threat' into women's heads for centuries? :chin:

Anyways I'm sorry for going off topic again. :oops:

Last edited by DeathEmperor413 on 19 Aug 2020, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:53 pm

I’m not jealous of “attractive” people.

I yam what I am.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
lol, he is against cancel culture but engages in it on his own because he doesn't like that they have banned his MAGA crap. The irony is so hilarious.

There is a subtle difference between a boycott and "cancel culture":
Under a boycott, the company which has been boycotted is considered "redeemed" once the action(s) giving rise to it have been corrected, and things can return to their past status.
Under "Cancel Culture", there is no redemption possible and so the "cancellation" comtinues into perpetuity.

A subtle difference, easy to miss (whether accidentally or intentionally).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Aug 2020, 1:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m a shrimp myself :P

Nom nom nom :chef:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 1:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Average people don't get the struggles the truly ugly face. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 1:58 am

In ancient Greece, there was a woman on trial accused som unspecified but death-worthy crime. Her defense was to strip and basically say " Look how pretty I am. I am clearly favoured by Afrodite!" That worked.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 2:07 am

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Average people don't get the struggles the truly ugly face. :lol:

I guess there is average looking privilege. I have also heard of normal height privilege. I learned the struggles short people and tall people have to face. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 2:10 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
In ancient Greece, there was a woman on trial accused som unspecified but death-worthy crime. Her defense was to strip and basically say " Look how pretty I am. I am clearly favoured by Afrodite!" That worked.

Turns out the goddess of beauty has always been black. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 3:29 am

Brictoria wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
lol, he is against cancel culture but engages in it on his own because he doesn't like that they have banned his MAGA crap. The irony is so hilarious.

There is a subtle difference between a boycott and "cancel culture":
Under a boycott, the company which has been boycotted is considered "redeemed" once the action(s) giving rise to it have been corrected, and things can return to their past status.
Under "Cancel Culture", there is no redemption possible and so the "cancellation" comtinues into perpetuity.

A subtle difference, easy to miss (whether accidentally or intentionally).

I am pretty sure such subtle differences are lost on Trump.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 4:25 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Turns out the goddess of beauty has always been black. :mrgreen:

Hey now, not everyone from Aphrica is black.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 4:27 am

Everybody is lucky in some ways, unlucky in others.

Privileged in some ways. Oppressed in others.

I’m white, Jewish, autistic, short, college graduate in a clerical job.....