Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:33 pm

I am of the opinion that SBA was an assimilationist in a racist culture -- well-meaning, but somewhat clueless.  She seems to have wanted to do the right thing, but didn't really know what that "right thing" was.  So I have to wonder if she was an aspie...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:37 pm

Brictoria wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Trump 'cancels' Goodyear tires as he campaigns against 'cancel culture'
Quote:
Coincidentally, the President's custom limousine, known as the "Beast" has custom Goodyear Tires. Goodyear said in a 2009 statement that it is "the exclusive tire for the presidential limo and the standard tire of the US Secret Service."

Trump, who railed against political correctness during his 2016 campaign, is campaigning this year as a warrior against what he says is a left-wing "cancel culture" that seeks to get people punished or banished for supposedly objectionable words or acts.
"One of their political weapons is 'cancel culture' -- driving people from their jobs, shaming dissenters and demanding total submission from anyone who disagrees. This is the very definition of totalitarianism, and it is completely alien to our culture and our values, and it has absolutely no place in the United States of America," Trump said in a July 3 speech at Mount Rushmore.

Trump's Goodyear tweet is far from the first time he's called for boycotts, cancellations and firings of people and a wide variety of products and entities.

CNN's fact checking team compiled a non-exhaustive list of more than 30 examples since 2012, which include television hosts and networks, other media publications, the Macy's department store, and the country of Mexico.

Bolding=mine

A record to make an SJW proud. :evil:

So...Are the SJW's proud of him?

They are triggered by him.

IMHO Trump was the best thing to happen to them. By “validating” their opinion they have gained a lot more power then they would otherwise have.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
I am of the opinion that SBA was an assimilationist in a racist culture -- well-meaning, but somewhat clueless.  She seems to have wanted to do the right thing, but didn't really know what that "right thing" was.  So I have to wonder if she was an aspie...

Cliche, while she changed her times she was also a product of her times, thus the good intended but paternalistic view of blacks. Sorry SJW’s because she was flawed does mean she should not be celebrated for the massive social change she had a large role creating.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:45 pm

New York Times, Leftists Label Susan B. Anthony ‘Racist’ After She Gets A Trump Pardon
https://dw-site-dev.dailywire.com/news/ ... ump-pardon

Be the hero of your life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Coincidentally, the President's custom limousine, known as the "Beast" has custom Goodyear Tires. Goodyear said in a 2009 statement that it is "the exclusive tire for the presidential limo and the standard tire of the US Secret Service."

Trump, who railed against political correctness during his 2016 campaign, is campaigning this year as a warrior against what he says is a left-wing "cancel culture" that seeks to get people punished or banished for supposedly objectionable words or acts.
"One of their political weapons is 'cancel culture' -- driving people from their jobs, shaming dissenters and demanding total submission from anyone who disagrees. This is the very definition of totalitarianism, and it is completely alien to our culture and our values, and it has absolutely no place in the United States of America," Trump said in a July 3 speech at Mount Rushmore.

Trump's Goodyear tweet is far from the first time he's called for boycotts, cancellations and firings of people and a wide variety of products and entities.

CNN's fact checking team compiled a non-exhaustive list of more than 30 examples since 2012, which include television hosts and networks, other media publications, the Macy's department store, and the country of Mexico.

Bolding=mine

IMHO Trump was the best thing to happen to them. By “validating” their opinion they have gained a lot more power then they would otherwise have.

Since Donnie T came around a lot of conservatives have stopped pretending to have actual ideological positions they care about. I guess it's hard to pretend the 'SJWs' weren't right all along when Trump's cult loudly reminds us on a daily basis that the SJWs were right all along.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:55 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Bolding=mine

Since Donnie T came around a lot of conservatives have stopped pretending to have actual ideological positions they care about. I guess it's hard to pretend the 'SJWs' weren't right all along when Trump's cult loudly reminds us on a daily basis that the SJWs were right all along.

Right that all white people are born racist and are privileged?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 2:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Bolding=mine

White privilege exists, if that's what you're asking. :?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 2:06 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Trump pardons Susan B Anthony ...

Suddenly, she's declared a racist...
By whom?

Who declared SBA to be a racist?

I listened to news commentary ,.. however ..,

How the Suffrage Movement Betrayed Black Women
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/28/opin ... women.html

How racism almost killed women’s right to vote
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... ight-vote/

"white suffragists pressed for a federal amendment without regard for how it might pertain to women of color. By the 1910s, many white suffragists had come to believe that focusing on white women voting was the only way they could get the 19th Amendment through Congress."

The part of suffragette history documented above has been largely whitewashed.
This part also has
Night of terror’: The suffragists who were beaten and tortured for seeking the vote
Quote:
The women were clubbed, beaten and tortured by the guards at the Occoquan Workhouse. The 33 suffragists from the National Woman’s Party had been arrested Nov. 10, 1917, while picketing outside the White House for the right to vote.

The male guards at the Northern Virginia prison manacled the party’s co-founder Lucy Burns by her hands to the bars above her cell and forced her to stand all night. Dorothy Day, who would later establish the Catholic Worker houses, had her arm twisted behind her back and was slammed twice over the back of an iron bench.

The guards threw suffragist Dora Lewis into a dark cell and smashed her head against an iron bed, knocking her out. Lewis’s cellmate, Alice Cosu, believing Lewis dead, suffered a heart attack and was denied medical care until the next morning.

The suffragists dubbed their treatment Nov. 14, 1917, as the “Night of Terror,” and it helped galvanize public support of the suffrage movement.

On Friday, there will be a Washington reenactment of the picketing 100 years ago that led to the “Night of Terror.” But it is so little known today that the debunking website, snopes.com, felt compelled to weigh in on whether it actually happened.

At Occoquan, rats ran in and out of the unlit cells. The prisoners held contests to count the number of maggots in their food. And the prison denied the women a most basic human dignity – their privacy.

“In the morning we were taken one by one to a washroom at the end of the hall,” Day recalled in her memoir, “The Long Loneliness.” “There was a toilet in each cell, open, and paper and flushing were supplied by the guard. It was as though one were in a zoo with the open bars leading into the corridor.”

Prison officials denied the protesters counsel. Many began hunger strikes. And Occoquan superintendent W.H. Whittaker, who had ordered the beatings, called for Marines to guard the compoun

From the beginning of Woodrow Wilson’s second term, National Woman’s Party members, known as the Silent Sentinels in distinctive purple, white and gold sashes, surrounded the White House in wordless protest. Their banners attempted to prick the president’s conscience, often charging him with hypocrisy.

One banner read, “Kaiser Wilson, have you forgotten your sympathy with the poor Germans because they were not self-governed? 20,000,000 American women are not self-governed. Take the beam out of your own eye.”

By 1916, only nine states had given women the right to vote. For the National Woman’s Party, led by Alice Paul, the progress on suffrage was too slow. They demanded a constitutional amendment to make the vote a national right. Wilson, a Democrat, supported women’s suffrage at the state level, but opposed a national amendment.

“What was militant about the NWP was that no group had ever picketed the White House before,” said Jennifer Krafchik, executive director of the Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument, the party’s former headquarters that now serves as its museum. “They used Wilson’s words against him in their banners. Nobody had ever seen this before especially in a group of women. They were much more aggressive than any other suffragette group.”

The Silent Sentinels highlighted their diversity with themed days. On state days, such as Maryland Day, the marchers all came from Maryland. On College Day, pickets represented 13 colleges. Other days highlighted women in professions such as Teachers Day.

Initially, passersby viewed the marchers with curiosity and sympathy, and the White House tolerated their presence. In April, after the U.S. entered World War I, the public mood changed.

The NWP was not going to stop protesting simply because we were at war. They held Woodrow Wilson up as a pinnacle of democracy abroad but not at home,” Krafchik said. “By June, crowds were getting incensed at what they saw as unpatriotic actions by these women.”

The police warned the women that they would be arrested if they continued. Nevertheless, they persisted. The first arrests were in June – three-day sentences, mostly for “obstructing the sidewalk.” The judges fined the picketers $25, which they refused to pay. After serving the three days, the women returned to their sites in front of the White House. But the women arrested in August were sentenced to 60 days – at Occoquan.

By November, several picketers had been arrested multiple times, and Whittaker had lost patience. The suffragists demanded to be considered political prisoners, a distinction that could possibly mean better treatment at the D.C. Jail instead of Occoquan.

Paul had been arrested in October and taken to the D.C. Jail, where she went on a hunger strike. Doctors force-fed her twice a day with a tube down her throat – a process that caused her to vomit repeatedly. William Alanson White, the superintendent of St. Elizabeths Hospital, interviewed her in a vain attempt to have her committed. White found Paul to be sane and “perfectly calm, yet determined.”

The suffragists had one key sympathizer in the Wilson White House. Dudley Field Malone, an attorney who had been a Wilson campaign adviser, was the collector of import duties. He was also married to suffragist Doris Stevens, an Occoquan detainee, and resigned his position to represent the Silent Sentinels in court. And Stevens’s jailhouse correspondence about the ordeal led to reporting of it in the party newsletter, the Suffragist, outraging others in the movement and galvanizing public opinion in their favor.

By Nov. 28, two weeks after the “Night of Terror,” both Paul and the Occoquan prisoners were out on bail. In March 1918, the D.C. Court of Appeals declared that all the suffragist arrests had been unconstitutional.
Doris Stevens would publish her account of the Silent Sentinels, “Jailed for Freedom,” in 1920. In the preface, she
There are two ways in which this story might be told. It might be told as a tragic and harrowing tale of martyrdom. Or it might be told as a ruthless enterprise of compelling a hostile administration to subject women to martyrdom in order to hasten its surrender. The truth is, it has elements of both ruthlessness and martyrdom.”

She added emphatically: “But it was never martyrdom for its own sake. It was martyrdom used for a practical purpose.”

That practical purpose came to pass on Aug. 18, 1920, when the 19th amendment was ratified, giving women the right to vote.

UK also

Suffragette hunger strikes, 100 years on
Quote:
One hundred years ago, on 5 July 1909, the imprisoned suffragette Marion Wallace Dunlop, a sculptor and illustrator, went on hunger strike. A member of the Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU), founded by Emmeline Pankhurst in 1903 to campaign for the parliamentary vote for women, she had been sent to Holloway prison for printing an extract from the bill of rights on the wall of St Stephen's Hall in the House of Commons. In her second division cell, Wallace Dunlop refused all food as a protest against the unwillingness of the authorities to recognise her as a political prisoner, and thus entitled to be placed in the first division where inmates enjoyed certain privileges. Her hunger strike, she claimed, was "a matter of principle, not only for my own sake but for the sake of others who may come after me … refusing all food until this matter is settled to my satisfaction". After three and a half days of fasting, she was released.

Other suffragettes that summer of 1909, believing they had found a powerful weapon with which to fight a stubborn Liberal government, also went on hunger strike. However, the government feared that the early release of such rebellious prisoners would make a mockery of the justice system and by the end of September forcible feeding was introduced, an operation justified as "ordinary hospital treatment" to save the women's lives. Over the next five years, this vicious circle of events was to shape the representation of the suffragette movement for years to come.

The image of the lonely suffragette on hunger strike in her isolated prison cell held a particular cultural resonance since she appropriated a form of protest that had been adopted by some, mainly male, dissidents in the past – and made it her own. Wishing to retain control of her own body, which had often been battered and bruised in various deputations to parliament, she used it as a political statement to contest an all-male government's refusal to allow her to enter the realm of politics. The hunger strike was a means of passive resistance to the injustices that women experienced, because of their sex.

The forcible feeding of women was a brutal and life-threatening procedure conducted against the wishes of the "patient". The hunger striker was held down on a bed by wardresses or tied to a chair which they tipped back. Then a rubber tube was either forced up the nose or down the throat and into the stomach. The latter method was particularly painful because a steel gap was pushed into the mouth and screwed open, as wide as possible. Tissue in the nose and throat was nearly always damaged, while sometimes the tube was accidentally inserted into the windpipe, causing food to enter the lungs and endangering life. This invasion of the body, accompanied by overpowering physical force, suffering and humiliation made many women feel they had been raped, with the words "violation" or "outrage" being commonly used.

Forcible feeding became particularly cruel and dangerous after the notorious Cat and Mouse Act of 1913 which allowed a hunger striking suffragette who became ill to be released into the community, in order to regain her health, only to be re-arrested when she was well enough to complete her sentence. The process often extended the period of the sentence. Many women, such as Grace Roe and Kitty Marion, were force fed more than 200 times. Some wrote accounts of their horrendous experiences for th

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2020, 2:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

If "white privilege" means being treated with basic respect, it should be a social norm, not a privilege. The problem is not that some have it but that some lack it.
If "white privilege" means something else, I would love to learn the definition (and then my twisted mind would try to apply it to the reality of Belarus).

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 2:58 pm

magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

If "white privilege" means being treated with basic respect, it should be a social norm, not a privilege. The problem is not that some have it but that some lack it.
If "white privilege" means something else, I would love to learn the definition (and then my twisted mind would try to apply it to the reality of Belarus).

White privilege is if I ever get pulled over by a cop, I don't have to worry about being gunned down or shot or being treated aggressively just as long as I abide to the cop.

White privilege is also walking into the store and not being guilty automatically because of my skin color. People of color get racially profiled so they tend to get followed around in stores by employees. This has given a white shopper an opportunity to steal and the black shopper sees it but says nothing. Then after the white shopper leaves, the the black shopper tells the employee how the other white shopped had been shoplifting and hiding stuff in their thing and left. I have read about this in comments by those who have been racially profiled.

But you are right, there should be no white privilege. It only exists because of racial bias.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 19 Aug 2020, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 3:01 pm

Here is what started it all: White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack, by Peggy McIntosh

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2020, 3:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

White privilege is of I ever get pulled over by a cop, I don't have to worry about being gunned down or shot or being treated aggressively just as long as I abide to the cop.

White privilege is also walking into the store and not being guilty automatically because of my skin color. People of color get racially profiled so they tend to get followed around in stores by employees. This has given a white shopper an opportunity to steal and the black shopper sees it but says nothing. Then after the white shopper leaves, the the black shopper tells the employee how the other white shopped had been shoplifting and hiding stuff in their thing and left. I have read about this in comments by those who have been racially profiled.

But you are right, there should be no white privilege. It only exists because of racial bias.

The first example is, in my opinion, a non-white discrimination rather than white privilege. No one should fear being shot by the police for petty reasons!
The second example is indeed a kind of a privilege - a kind I wouldn't use anyway. As I threatened, I apply it to Belarus... It wouldn't work. Stereotyped shoplifters in Eastern Europe have the same skin color as non-shoplifters. They may be dressed differently but the skilled ones would be smarter than that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

White privilege is if I ever get pulled over by a cop, I don't have to worry about being gunned down or shot or being treated aggressively just as long as I abide to the cop.

Not having to worry about being shot when pulled over by police, not having people going to the other side of the street when I walk by in my business attire because they think I am going to mug them is not privilege, what it is, is not being discriminated against. Thinking these are unfair privileges is looking at looking at a real problem the wrong way.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2020, 4:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not having to worry about being shot when pulled over by police, not having people going to the other side of the street when I walk by in my business attire because they think I am going to mug them is not privilege, what it is, is not being discriminated against. Thinking these are unfair privileges is looking at looking at a real problem the wrong way.

That's also my opinion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 4:28 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not having to worry about being shot when pulled over by police, not having people going to the other side of the street when I walk by in my business attire because they think I am going to mug them is not privilege, what it is, is not being discriminated against. Thinking these are unfair privileges is looking at a real problem the wrong way.
By analogy, does that also mean that having been born with attractive features and traits is not an unfair advantage of popular people?  If so, does the "I can't get a date" crowd know this?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 4:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Is any of that untrue? Or are those facts just not appreciated?

People on left crawl out of their holes to deliver negative COVFEFE because it's Trump.

So, predictably, Anthony, a hero of women's suffrage, is suddenly characterized as a racist.

Be the hero of your life.