Ways to help my friend communicate other than verbally?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

alobaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2020, 9:38 pm

My friend tends to get overwhelmed sometimes when he feels he has talked too much. If he doesn't want to communicate at all that's okay, but I wanted to help him find ways to communicate if necessary when he doesn't feel like he can speak. I was thinking ASL, but I feel like that might take a lot for all of us to learn so I was hoping there was something easier. I think texting can have the same effect on him as well. I know too that I saw these cards someone made for non-verbal people that were super cute... I saw them on tik tok and they were on someone's Etsy, but I can't find them now. The cards were long and rectangular and I think one of the decorations had sanrio characters on it if anyone happens to know what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Edit: Found the cards! Still need help though

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 12:54 am

alobaby wrote:
My friend tends to get overwhelmed sometimes when he feels he has talked too much. If he doesn't want to communicate at all that's okay, but I wanted to help him find ways to communicate if necessary when he doesn't feel like he can speak. I was thinking ASL, but I feel like that might take a lot for all of us to learn so I was hoping there was something easier. I think texting can have the same effect on him as well. I know too that I saw these cards someone made for non-verbal people that were super cute... I saw them on tik tok and they were on someone's Etsy, but I can't find them now. The cards were long and rectangular and I think one of the decorations had sanrio characters on it if anyone happens to know what I'm talking about. Thanks!

SMS or TTS Maybe writing things down.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 12:55 am

alobaby wrote:

SMS/writing/sign language, etc all likely involve the language centres of the brain, so they might work, but if not that's likely why. </obviouslynotanexpert

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

alobaby

22 Aug 2020, 11:46 pm

Pieplup wrote:
alobaby wrote:

SMS or TTS Maybe writing things down.

That's what I was thinking, but that seems to be draining for him too

alobaby

22 Aug 2020, 11:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
alobaby wrote:

SMS/writing/sign language, etc all likely involve the language centres of the brain, so they might work, but if not that's likely why. </obviouslynotanexpert

I would like to do those things, but I think texting and writing still stresses him out

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:53 pm

alobaby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
alobaby wrote:

I would like to do those things, but I think texting and writing still stresses him out

I noticed and that's why I suggested my idea that goal might not be so easily accomplished because you're thinking tools and I'm thinking of what part of the brain gets used to operate the tool, but also conceding that I've only read about that stuff from the perspective of someone who isn't an expert, I know plenty but I might not understand it correctly.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う