How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 19 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:12 am

SabbraCadabra linked to this, it felt appropriate to post here:

Quote:
I was at a sh***y crustpunk bar once getting an after-work beer. One of those s**tholes where the bartenders clearly hate you. So the bartender and I were ignoring one another when someone sits next to me and he immediately says, "no. get out."

And the dude next to me says, "hey i'm not doing anything, i'm a paying customer." and the bartender reaches under the counter for a bat or something and says, "out. now." and the dude leaves, kind of yelling. And he was dressed in a punk uniform, I noticed

Anyway, I asked what that was about and the bartender was like, "you didn't see his vest but it was all nazi s**t. Iron crosses and stuff. You get to recognize them."

And i was like, ohok and he continues.

"you have to nip it in the bud immediately. These guys come in and it's always a nice, polite one. And you serve them because you don't want to cause a scene. And then they become a regular and after awhile they bring a friend. And that dude is cool too.

And then THEY bring friends and the friends bring friends and they stop being cool and then you realize, oh s**t, this is a Nazi bar now. And it's too late because they're entrenched and if you try to kick them out, they cause a PROBLEM. So you have to shut them down.

And i was like, 'oh damn.' and he said "yeah, you have to ignore their reasonable arguments because their end goal is to be terrible, awful people."

And then he went back to ignoring me. But I haven't forgotten that at all.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 3:31 am

Wow, first time reading this thread. People calling an accusation of racism something as bad as actual racism is BS. Actual racism destroys people's lives and is much worse than just getting your feelings hurt over an internet discussion. A racism accusation on this little corner of the Internet isn't going to destroy anybody's reputation. What garbage.

Making light of racism by comparing it to trivial s**t like this is one sign of being a racist.

Being overly concerned with being called a racist is one sign of being a racist.

Believing it's possible to consciously say something racist without being a racist is a very good sign of being a racist. You don't get a pass on racism just because you're unaware that your ideas are racist. Racist words = racist thoughts = you're a racist.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 4:29 am

starkid wrote:
Wow, first time reading this thread. People calling an accusation of racism something as bad as actual racism is BS. Actual racism destroys people's lives and is much worse than just getting your feelings hurt over an internet discussion. A racism accusation on this little corner of the Internet isn't going to destroy anybody's reputation. What garbage.

Making light of racism by comparing it to trivial s**t like this is one sign of being a racist.

Being overly concerned with being called a racist is one sign of being a racist.

Believing it's possible to consciously say something racist without being a racist is a very good sign of being a racist. You don't get a pass on racism just because you're unaware that your ideas are racist. Racist words = racist thoughts = you're a racist.

I do not know any person living on this planet today who can walk and talk who is not racist if we judge by those criteria.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Sep 2021, 10:27 am

Please see this thread clarifying the use of historical images:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=399794&p=8854337#p8854281

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Sep 2021, 11:10 am

I'm pretty happy with the wording of that - good job. :wtg:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 12:56 pm

Alex, the God of WP, His word is the absolute truth wrote:
3. Calling someone racist is not a personal attack, it is a description. If someone calls you racist, keep in mind that you may very well be doing things that fit their understanding of what racist means. Don't take it as an insult but as a chance to learn and improve yourself. Ask why what you said bothers them and why they believe it is racist. Ask how you can do better in the future. If you disagree with their assessment, you're allowed to say that but keep in mind that opinions differ and you won't be able to change the fact that they view you as racist.

*Cough*...

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 18 Oct 2023, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 2:25 pm

Oh Gawd! I did not expect to relive this thread again :oops:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 2:30 pm

^ Do not defy the Word of God.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 2:56 pm

I can't believe my posts are still there , I still stand by a lot of them but I could have said it better but still disagree with Alex on a lot of what he said.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 2:58 pm

Recidivist wrote:
I can't believe my posts are still there , I still stand by a lot of them but I could have said it better but still disagree with Alex on a lot of what he said.

You dare to question the wisdom of God?! :evil:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 3:01 pm

Yes, I still dare to question the wisdom of God :jester: