How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 17 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 12:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
It's not just Hollywood, it's everywhere. Twitter has picked up on it, reddit, youtube, Facebook, etc. It's spreading to other websites. It's spreading to work places. Look at the media and what people say when they cry censorship.

I am sure there are still web forums that haven't picked up on it yet but unless the website that hosts their forum decided to pick up on it, then the admins would be forced to have those guidelines on their forum as well or risk forum termination.

twiterverse priorities often has nothing to with real life.

Web forums tend to attract different demographics. If your website appeals to college students, influencers, coastal elites etc your users will likely accept the “progressive” definition. This site attracts a lot of older members. It because of that and because support and recognition for older autistics is so rare is why so many of us in that demographic prize this site so much. It is maybe why many of us agree with the traditional definition of racism and are not in the Fox news bubble and thus understand the “progressive” definition.

I am am a millennial, Alex is one too. It seems like many Millennial and under accept this new racist term.

But age has nothing to do with it. I have seen plenty of woke older adults and plenty of younger people my age and under rejecting this new racist term.

Even my son's school has gone woke. They even banned the topic of Donald Trump in his school. :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 12:13 pm

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... n-crackers

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Aug 2020, 12:21 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
It's not just Hollywood, it's everywhere. Twitter has picked up on it, reddit, youtube, Facebook, etc. It's spreading to other websites. It's spreading to work places. Look at the media and what people say when they cry censorship.

I am sure there are still web forums that haven't picked up on it yet but unless the website that hosts their forum decided to pick up on it, then the admins would be forced to have those guidelines on their forum as well or risk forum termination.

Web forums tend to attract different demographics. If your website appeals to college students, influencers, coastal elites etc your users will likely accept the “progressive” definition. This site attracts a lot of older members. It because of that and because support and recognition for older autistics is so rare is why so many of us in that demographic prize this site so much. It is maybe why many of us agree with the traditional definition of racism and are not in the Fox news bubble and thus understand the “progressive” definition.
I am am a millennial, Alex is one too. It seems like many Millennial and under accept this new racist term.

But age has nothing to do with it. I have seen plenty of woke older adults and plenty of younger people my age and under rejecting this new racist term.

Even my son's school has gone woke. They even banned the topic of Donald Trump in his school. :lol:

Do you think WP should become a "woke" site with discussion of Donald Trump banned?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 12:25 pm

magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Do you think WP should become a "woke" site with discussion of Donald Trump banned?

Neah.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 12:34 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
"You have enemies? Why, it is the story of every man who has done a great deed or created a new idea. It is the cloud which thunders around everything that shines. Fame must have enemies, as light must have gnats. Do not bother yourself about it; disdain. Keep your mind serene as you keep your life clear."

-Victor Hugo, "Villemain"

Soft applause resonates from the room.

where ever you go ,there you are

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I need to be less NT and more autistic. :( When people say the black demographic votes democratic they do not mean every black votes for the democrats. Hollywood is a progressive bubble but Jon Voigt spoke at the Republican convention. Mellenials in general are a lot more progressive, gays tend to be progressive, Jews tend to be liberal. Ben Shapiro is a millennial gay jew.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:11 pm

^Yes.

Whenever someone says, something like "Ratsnestistanis are oblivious", do they mean that all Ratsnestistanis are oblivious, some Ratsnestistanis are oblivious, or that the only Ratsnestistani they ever met was oblivious?

For whatever reason, the qualifier defaults to "all" in my mind.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:23 pm

Fnord wrote:

Same, but perhaps the more charitable option would be "these Ratsnestistanis are oblivious." I mean, surely even the densest dullard would concede that the proud nation of Ratsnestistan more likely than not has people more capable than the ones in their immediate sphere? or is that my optimism flaring up?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:33 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Same, but perhaps the more charitable option would be "these Ratsnestistanis are oblivious." I mean, surely even the densest dullard would concede that the proud nation of Ratsnestistan more likely than not has people more capable than the ones in their immediate sphere? or is that my optimism flaring up?
That depends on whether or not you have ever been to Ratsnestistan ... have you?

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:37 pm

I mean, I was gonna, but the virus, y'know....*trails off*

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:41 pm

Yes ... the virus...

:(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:45 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I need to be less NT and more autistic. :( When people say the black demographic votes democratic they do not mean every black votes for the democrats. Hollywood is a progressive bubble but Jon Voigt spoke at the Republican convention. Mellenials in general are a lot more progressive, gays tend to be progressive, Jews tend to be liberal. Ben Shapiro is a millennial gay jew.

Ironically Ben Shapiro has been called a Nazi even though he is Jewish. But his cousin Mara Wilson has him blocked on all social media platforms and has disowned him as family.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Aug 2020, 1:49 pm

Mara Wilson was great in Matilda!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
^Yes.

Whenever someone says, something like "Ratsnestistanis are oblivious", do they mean that all Ratsnestistanis are oblivious, some Ratsnestistanis are oblivious, or that the only Ratsnestistani they ever met was oblivious?

To me it depends on context it is used in. I think this has to do with nuance.

If someone is talking about a situation and they say "Ratsnestistanis are oblivious," they mean those in that situation and those who deny it.

This comes to when my mom and I had this conversation about the term most people. I said most people compare things to Hitler and she goes "I don't do that" and I said "I never said you did" and she goes "But you said most people" and I am like "so" and she goes "But when you say most people, you include me" and I said "Then you are not most people then" but she wouldn't accept that.

Honestly my mom has seemed to have gotten more defensive as I have gotten older so we talk about things less between us and I also stop talking when she starts to get mad or gets defensive. She used to not do this to me when I was a child.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 1:59 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Ironically Ben Shapiro has been called a Nazi even though he is Jewish. But his cousin Mara Wilson has him blocked on all social media platforms and has disowned him as family.

There in lies the danger of constantly expanding definitions.

No harm, no foul since those calling him Nazi meant it in a purely descriptive way not as a personal attack(sarcasm).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Aug 2020, 2:21 pm

Name calling is a very low form of communication. It's when the accuser doesn't have anything more concrete to say. You might as well just have a swearing match.

It lowers the tone.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/