How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 18 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 2:36 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Name calling is a very low form of communication. It's when the accuser doesn't have anything more concrete to say. You might as well just have a swearing match.  It lowers the tone.
It may as well be a string of posts and replies like:
Quote:
I hate you.
Quote:
I hate you more.
Quote:
I have always hated you.
Quote:
I have always hated you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
... et cetera ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 3:04 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Name calling is a very low form of communication. It's when the accuser doesn't have anything more concrete to say. You might as well just have a swearing match.

It lowers the tone.

Honestly when someone starts hurling insults at me and calls me names, I take it as I won the argument. And I don't even try to win arguments. I have discussions and there is no winning or losing because there is no prize here. But on Reddit, I have had people call me names all of a sudden or start attacking me because they were losing the argument and I didn't even know I was winning because I don't view it that way. It goes from civil to them calling me names or throwing insults at me and yes I do end the discussion with them then because I do not talk to these people if they don't wish to be civil.

I find it childish and hilarious when they start to hurl out insults at me. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY START TYPING LIKE THIS. I don't know if they are trying to cheat at "the game of having a discussion" to win the argument :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Aug 2020, 3:09 pm

Caps lock is considered shouting at someone. We usually have to shout at deaf people. If your computer's speaker volume is set low, they have to use CAPS LOCK to attract attention! :lol:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 3:15 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Caps lock is considered shouting at someone. We usually have to shout at deaf people. If your computer's speaker volume is set low, they have to use CAPS LOCK to attract attention! :lol:

I stop reading when it's all in caps. It's hard on my eyes and I skip the post.

Some people think if they shout, people will listen to them and agree with them.

It comes down to

Sounds like the internet.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 9:50 am

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I was so disturbed by the new guidelines that I was seriously considering leaving. I also said I did not want make any rash decisions based on the strong emotions of the moment.

Since that time a whole lot of discussion have followed both here and in the “How to make WP better” thread. As a result of these discussions I have come to these conclusions.

I have not changed my mind about the error of the new guidelines.

Actual instances of one member calling another member racist are going to be pretty rare. Members that oppose the rule which are seemingly most members are not going to do it. Those in favor of the guideline from Alex on down have stated that saying “That is racist statement” is preferable to saying “You are a racist”. These members will not likely be calling another member racist.

Alex appointed magz as a new moderator who was skeptical of the new guidelines. In her posts she has demonstrated a levelheadedness and an understanding of multisides of issues.

Alex said in the “How to make WP better” thread that he is looking to add guidelines so that rules are not used to bully people.

Alex’s absentee ownership has been a problem but now he is out of the Hollywood bubble.

The aforementioned thread is now 162 pages long. Other related threads such as new moderators and this thread are also multipages long demonstrating that members DEEPLY CARE about WP.

I am staying because.
The last few days given me a renewed and much stronger appreciation and TRUST of the membership here and the autistic community in general.

While Alex’s absentee ownership has caused problems he is here full time now trying to make the user experience better via guidelines, new moderators, and software modifications. He has has demonstrated that he is learning about differing perspectives and issues of the membership here.

When so many from Alex on down are trying so hard to make this place better now IS NOT THE TIME TO QUIT.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Aug 2020, 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Aug 2020, 9:54 am

thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts. we're working on trying to make things great for everyone so i appreciate your openness to these new initiatives.

As I told magz when she agreed to be a moderator, there is a lot of leeway on the part of each moderator in terms of using their best judgement on a case by case basis so each moderator can make a difference

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 10:22 am

alex wrote:
thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts. we're working on trying to make things great for everyone so i appreciate your openness to these new initiatives.

As I told magz when she agreed to be a moderator, there is a lot of leeway on the part of each moderator in terms of using their best judgement on a case by case basis so each moderator can make a difference

As I and many have said before we greatly appreciate that you created this site and the efforts you have put in elsewhere to advocate for autistic people. I came upon this site just as I was being diagnosed. Without this site the diagnoses would have been much less useful. The members here have really helped me understand myself.

Even if I had decided to leave I would have never “cancelled“ Wrong Planet. It is an important part of my life story. Nothing will or can erase that.

America may be falling apart but as I begin my eighth year here WP is getting it together. We autistic people always have to do things differently(LOL). I am looking forward with anticipation to see where the renewal of WP goes and hope to be able to contribute in whatever way I can.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm

Hooray. For on going Survival and prosperity of Wrong Planet . Including new rules. Guidelines .

where ever you go ,there you are

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
alex wrote:

As I and many have said before we greatly appreciate that you created this site and the efforts you have put in elsewhere to advocate for autistic people. I came upon this site just as I was being diagnosed. Without this site the diagnoses would have been much less useful. The members here have really helped me understand myself.

Even if I had decided to leave I would have never “cancelled“ Wrong Planet. It is an important part of my life story. Nothing will or can erase that.

America may be falling apart but as I begin my eighth year here WP is getting it together. We autistic people always have to do things differently(LOL). I am looking forward with anticipation to see where the renewal of WP goes and hope to be able to contribute in whatever way I can.

what he said.

thanks for still caring about this place, alex

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 4:00 am

Fnord wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
Name calling is a very low form of communication. It's when the accuser doesn't have anything more concrete to say. You might as well just have a swearing match.  It lowers the tone.
It may as well be a string of posts and replies like:
Quote:
I hate you.
Quote:
I hate you more.
Quote:
I have always hated you.
Quote:
I have always hated you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
Quote:
No, I hate you more.
... et cetera ...

:lmao:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 12:11 pm

A person needs evidence and more than personal feelings to call someone a racist,calling someone racist is a personal attack unless it's backed with fact.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2020, 5:51 pm

Now that dictionary definition of “sexual preference” is an offensive term is the rule on using that term the same as the N-Word no use in any context?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2020, 6:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Now that dictionary definition of “sexual preference” is an offensive term is the rule on using that term the same as the N-Word no use in any context?

Good Question !

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Oct 2020, 2:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Even the ones who decided "sexual preference" is offensive meant only a very particular context (using it where "sexual orientation" would be the right term), so no.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 12:13 pm

Steve1963 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
I wonder where the expression comes from of saying someone is "crackers".

Language is a strange thing. English, even weirder than most!
whip cracker if I'm not mistaken.

"Crackers" and "cracker" are too completely different idioms, of different origins.

"Going crackers" means "loosing your mind". Probably from how a cracker is easily broken to pieces. And is related and bolstered by the term "cracked", which also means "not right in the head".

"Cracker", meaning a southern White peckerwood, is totally different. Some say it comes from "cracking whips" over the backs of the Black slaves.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 1:43 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
I wonder where the expression comes from of saying someone is "crackers".

Language is a strange thing. English, even weirder than most!
whip cracker if I'm not mistaken.

"Crackers" and "cracker" are too completely different idioms, of different origins.

"Going crackers" means "loosing your mind". Probably from how a cracker is easily broken to pieces. And is related and bolstered by the term "cracked", which also means "not right in the head".

"Cracker", meaning a southern White peckerwood, is totally different. Some say it comes from "cracking whips" over the backs of the Black slaves.

Thought Cracker meant white like a Saltine Cracker .