Oblivion or Skyrim?
Oblivion 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Skyrim 82%  82%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 22

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 2:14 pm

I'm thinking of getting either Skyrim or Oblivion once I save for an Xbox One. Which game do you guys think is better and why? I used to play Oblivion but never got the chance to play Skyrim.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:12 pm

I wish that I could play Oblivion and enjoy it like I used to, but it is so dated in a number of ways. While I have played Skyrim to death that I keep trying to find new ways to play it.

So my recommendation is Skyrim, especially if you have played Oblivion before and not Skyrim, unless you really wanted to revisit Oblivion first, but Skyrim is really worth playing, especially with elements like having remasters that improve graphics.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:23 pm

I loved Oblivion , got side tracked in Skyrim and never went back ( I have loads of games like that ).

Why do you have to choose ? money ?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:25 pm

Skyrim, duh. :roll:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:28 pm

Oblivion made the mistake of rushing to implement a hodge-podge of emerging technologies into a game before they were quite ready, meaning many aspects of the game comes across as weirdly stitched together. Also, the character creator has your character in shadow, which almost guarantees your dude will come out looking weird.

Out of TES 3, 4 and 5, 4 is easily the worst. Skyrim is far from perfect, but should you tire of the game as is, the modding community is huge.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 7:33 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
I loved Oblivion , got side tracked in Skyrim and never went back ( I have loads of games like that ).

Why do you have to choose ? money ?

Yup I'm broke lol but I'm hoping to save enough for a new Xbox One and at least two games: Fallout 3 and either Oblivion or Skyrim. Now I'm thinking Skyrim after seeing this badass trailer. 8)

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 7:36 pm

^ that does look bad ass

Oblivion is dirt cheap second hand.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 7:42 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
^ that does look bad ass

Oblivion is dirt cheap second hand.

And the hero is called "Dragonborn" and is a lost descendant of Emperor Talos (from what I heard from my brother).

Hmmm why does that sound familiar? :chin:

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 7:55 pm

A nice bit of Skyrim fan music "The Dragonborn Comes" by Karliene :viking:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 8:13 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
And the hero is called "Dragonborn" and is a lost descendant of Emperor Talos (from what I heard from my brother).

I don't really remember of such. If you are familiar with Oblivion or Elder Scrolls, the descendants of Talos (and himself) were dragonborn, but not every dragonborn is his descendant, you can play any of the playable races. Presumably a dragonborn is mostly one blessed by the dragon god of time, Akatosh, there is more to it but I will let you experience it.

Oblivion and Skyrim is also backwards compatible, if you have an Xbox 360 disk of Oblivion, it will work on an Xbox One.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 8:25 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:

I don't really remember of such. If you are familiar with Oblivion or Elder Scrolls, the descendants of Talos (and himself) were dragonborn, but not every dragonborn is his descendant, you can play any of the playable races. Presumably a dragonborn is mostly one blessed by the dragon god of time, Akatosh, there is more to it but I will let you experience it.

Oblivion and Skyrim is also backwards compatible, if you have an Xbox 360 disk of Oblivion, it will work on an Xbox One.

Ah Ok, I'm honestly not all that familiar with The Elder Scrolls lore. The only game I played was Oblivion. Just like the only Fallout game I played was Fallout 3. :oops:

I wanted to roleplay as a Dragonborn who wants to rebuild Tamriel's Empire (even if the game itself isn't about that but I enjoy using my imagination. 8) )

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 8:41 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
I wanted to roleplay as a Dragonborn who wants to rebuild Tamriel's Empire (even if the game itself isn't about that but I enjoy using my imagination. 8) )

Roleplaying how you want is half the fun of it all. If you are familiar with the setting of Oblivion but not Skyrim, a supremacist group grew in the land of the High Elves, they went to war with the empire, with the Empire ending up worse but technically not disbanded. To bring a close to the war the Elves request the banning of worshiping Talos and to have Hammerfell become theirs, the land of the Redguards. The Redguards seceded and managed to fight off the High Elves to keep their sovereignty, which led many of the Nords of Skyrim to think that the deal to end the war should not have been done, since Talos is a big deal to them. This creates the setting of the rebellious Stormcloaks fighting against the Empire and loyalists in Skyrim, and you choose a side of you want to be on.

Pretty easy to roleplay yourself as someone wanting to rebuild the Empire. The idea of biding time to fight back against the Thalmor.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:17 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:

Roleplaying how you want is half the fun of it all. If you are familiar with the setting of Oblivion but not Skyrim, a supremacist group grew in the land of the High Elves, they went to war with the empire, with the Empire ending up worse but technically not disbanded. To bring a close to the war the Elves request the banning of worshiping Talos and to have Hammerfell become theirs, the land of the Redguards. The Redguards seceded and managed to fight off the High Elves to keep their sovereignty, which led many of the Nords of Skyrim to think that the deal to end the war should not have been done, since Talos is a big deal to them. This creates the setting of the rebellious Stormcloaks fighting against the Empire and loyalists in Skyrim, and you choose a side of you want to be on.

Pretty easy to roleplay yourself as someone wanting to rebuild the Empire. The idea of biding time to fight back against the Thalmor.

That sounds like an interesting background for the game's plot. 8)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 2:01 am

Could I suggest getting New Vegas over Fallout 3? Vastly superior, and made by some of the people who made the originals. Bethesda doesn't know how to Fallout.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 2:17 am

I mean I would say Skyrim, because it will probably look better. I mean from what I gather the older oblivion games had good stories and stuff but not sure how enjoyable with the older graphics and such it would be on the Xbox, I never played any of those but I understand they are significantly older.

So Skyrim may be better in that regard, like I have thought about just reading up on the story of the previous ones to get a bit better understanding of the whole elder scrolls realm, but I don't think I would want to play through the older games.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 6:48 am

No mention of Morrowind? :(

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?