Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:58 pm

Who else thinks that having children at the current state of the world is a very very bad idea?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:59 pm

I have *always* thought having children was a bad idea. :mrgreen:

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:11 pm

We had the cell phone baby generation..... now we have the quarantine baby generation.... :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:18 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
We had the cell phone baby generation..... now we have the quarantine baby generation.... :lol:

Do you have kids?

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:23 pm

Pepe wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:

Do you have kids?

Negative. I am a child :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:24 pm

Having children is a selfish indulgence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 6:00 pm

I never wanted a kid—but sometimes I regret not being a father.

I don’t feel it’s selfish to have one or two children—but I feel like over three children is just too much.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 7:46 pm

Having children is the best thing in the world. I was physically there when my two daughters were born (natural childbirth). I have taught my children much about the world. Now my children have children of their own. And our world is fine.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 7:48 pm

My children (when we have them) will conquer what is left of the ashes of this world and start a new one

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 8:18 pm

Pepe wrote:

More the reason to have them. Part of the problem with this world is people aren’t selfish enough.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 8:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don’t feel it’s selfish to have one or two children—but I feel like over three children is just too much.

Having even one child is selfish. I don’t think there’s a upper limit aside from what is safe for the parents. Children are extensions of their parents; owned by them, in a manner of speaking. They are an attempt by parents to cheat death and find continued earthly existence. As such the desire to procreate is inherently selfish.

We’ve attempted it 5 times and it’s looking like we’ll have our 4th survivor tomorrow. Selfishness has its perks. ;-)

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:22 am

It's everyons own choice and it's not at all selfish to have children as long as you are healthy. Who should care about you once you are that old that you can't take care of yourself anymore? The children of other people? Btw. I don't wan't to miss any of my children. An upper limit of two children per woman would already reduce the overpopulation. But you have to limit the people in the Asien an Islamic countries for this e.g. the way that China did.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:27 am

jimmy m wrote:
Having children is the best thing in the world. I was physically there when my two daughters were born (natural childbirth). I have taught my children much about the world. Now my children have children of their own. And our world is fine.

It is still selfish, but I don't mean it is a derogatory way.
It is simply, clinically, a descriptive. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:30 am

AngelRho wrote:
Pepe wrote:

More the reason to have them. Part of the problem with this world is people aren’t selfish enough.

Well, I am part existentialist,
And part nihilist.

From my point of view, there is no inherent meaning in life.
I will probably elaborate in future posts. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 7:36 am

AngelRho wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Having even one child is selfish. I don’t think there’s a upper limit aside from what is safe for the parents. Children are extensions of their parents; owned by them, in a manner of speaking. They are an attempt by parents to cheat death and find continued earthly existence. As such the desire to procreate is inherently selfish.

We’ve attempted it 5 times and it’s looking like we’ll have our 4th survivor tomorrow. Selfishness has its perks. ;-)

Indeed.
It is eminently human.

Evolution has created the psychological climate,
And biology, the physical means. ;)

We are essentially slaves to the evolutionary process. 8)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 9:27 am

Pepe wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Indeed.
It is eminently human.

Evolution has created the psychological climate,
And biology, the physical means. ;)

We are essentially slaves to the evolutionary process. 8)

Slaves? Oh, no, I’m an active and willing participant! Perhaps evolution happens to favor us? Or is that simply what gives us the advantage?