Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 2:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
AspenL wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
... How would you HONESTLY react if Trump shot somebody on 5th Avenue?
Well that definately would not happen he has secret service to protect him and do the work. But if he did and it was straight up merder I would still think he was a great presdent but obviously the murder was wrong and he probly wouldn't even go to jail. But librals seem to not care because it is proven that bill clinton went to epstiens island so many times and got a "message" from one of the little girls.
Bill Clinton's relevancy is long gone, while Donald Trump is relevant now, in the present.

Besides, comparing Trump to Clinton while denying someone else's right to compare Trump to Hitler is hypocritical.
I'm not sure if that's the best analogy,Clinton's actions never ended in the death's of 30 million people.We could say comparing even the worst of American politicians to Hitler,Stalin or Milosovic is naive and tasteless.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 3:33 pm

I make no apologies for my comparison and frankly I think half the people in this country would rather hide their heads in the sand than face the truth. Trump is a dictator in the making and now I think Americans on both the right and left deserve nothing better than to have the basic human rights that they have taken for granted stripped away from them for letting this situation get worse. When things get really bad just don't say that nobody ever tried to warn ya'll about this man.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 4:15 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
I make no apologies for my comparison and frankly I think half the people in this country would rather hide their heads in the sand than face the truth. Trump is a dictator in the making and now I think Americans on both the right and left deserve nothing better than to have the basic human rights that they have taken for granted stripped away from them for letting this situation get worse. When things get really bad just don't say that nobody ever tried to warn ya'll about this man.
A lot of us have tried to warn others about DJT.  It's just sad that most of the people we speak to either seem to believe that nothing bad lasts forever, or they seem to believe that DJT is America's greatest hope forever.  Very few of the rest of us seem eager to fall in lock-step with the Cult of Trump.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 4:39 pm

People see Trump in rose colored glasses.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2020, 4:39 pm

He's not as bad as Hitler. I actually think there are some good sides to Republican values. But they don't outweigh the cons.

I think ultimately the democrats will lead, and rightfully so...for their stances on facts, morals, issues, etc., which tend to be progressive, scientific, and global in outlook, rather than nationalistic, conservative, and religiously-biased...it's by a good margin, but it isn't absolute. I agree that there's a problem with the teaching union and it has led to some horrible education kept unchecked for a long time, and it's a cycle.

But I am also wary that Republicans wouldn't just want to bring in their idea of "good" education which would teach Christianity and creationism in the public schools...and raise harmful skepticism about rock-solid scientific evidence about global warming and evolution. In private schools you can do so, but the government and all public schools are supposed to be religion-neutral, and it should stay that way.

I see Republicans as anti-science. Take the science of global warming. Republicans are against it. Scientists are overwhelmingly in favor of it. Take the science of evolution. Again, scientists are in favor of it, Conservatives seem to be against it. How does this not make Republicans look bad to scientifically-minded people?

Republicans also fearful of immigrants coming into the country, of all varieties (stereotyping them as terrorists, criminals, drug dealers, etc). That's basically xenophobia and I think it's better to be open to people coming in, provided they're here for a good reason.

I believe in the melting pot that is America, which really benefits our culture. One example is my wife, who is a Chinese immigrant...a brilliant and caring person with a PhD in electrical engineering. She comes from the country with the highest academic test scores in the world, where the students go to school for longer and work harder than American children. Their combined score for reading, math, and science, was 1731 and the leader by a mile, with the runner up being Hong Kong at 1637...and USA weighs in at 1489, a couple dozen positions down the list. China also as a country has one of the highest IQs in the world (105) compared to the USA (98). I'm not saying China is perfect, but they're doing some things right.

Conservative Americans seem to be afraid of outsiders, maybe in spite of the cases they're more competent than we are. So we need to make American education stronger, and learn from these aspects other countries do better than we do, rather than deny it's happening, and try to puff ourselves up with backwards conservative Christian values that aren't based on science, and have no practical application...and nationalistic, egocentric attitudes not based in fact.

I think the world should function as one unit and try to solve its problems together, as a community...

Take an issue as an example: the American value of religious freedom. Republicans are for it, but come from a distinctly Christian bias, and seem to really be saying they'd like to see Christianity elevated and endorsed by the government (over other religions).

The list goes on. I can't side with Republicans on so many of the broader issues, that the things they may be getting right aren't nearly worth the price of admission. I believe both sides will paint the other as far worse than they truly are, and themselves as glorified, that's politics. But for me democrat is a no-brainer, but I realize we are not the same in our backgrounds and where we're coming from. I understand that Trump does do good for some people and helps out his supporters...or tries to/claims to, anyway.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 1:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hitler was never “mild.”

He was a full-fledged Nazi from the start.

Mein Kampf was written in 1924-1925 while he was imprisoned for trying to overthrow the Bavarian government (the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch).

His rhetoric was always intensely Nazi.

I said 'comparatively' i.e that he got worse over time . It's like saying a 250 lb man is comparatively thin compared to a 325lb man .