Should hate crime laws apply to religious groups?

Page 4 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Should hate crime laws apply to religious groups?
Yes - Hate crime laws should apply to everyone 95%  95%  [ 20 ]
No - Religious groups should be exempt 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2020, 9:27 am

GGPViper wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
What about quoting Leviticus 20:13 which is the same as Leviticus 18:22 except it adds "they shall be put to death"? A pastor in Canada was charged for quoting that verse to someone with same sex attraction after that person claimed he was threatened by it.

Well, that could certainly be construed as a specific death threat, and not a symbolic judgment, so to me it is more clear-cut example of hate speech.

Even in this case - however - it would be relevant to distinguish between a descriptive and prescriptive statement:

- Descriptive: (In the Old Testament, Leviticus 20:13 contains the phrase "homosexuals men who lie with men must be put to death")
- Prescriptive: (As commanded in Leviticus 20:13, homosexuals men who lie with men must be put to death!)

It is difficult to conceive why the former ought to be hate speech, and I suggest quite a few LGBT individuals themselves would quote it to demonstrate why they are *not* Christians...

I'm guessing the pastor in question was Bill Whatcott, though, in which case there is little doubt that he was making a prescriptive statement:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Whatcott

The verse itself was prescriptive. Leviticus was part of the law that God gave to the ancient nation of Israel so when it said men who lie with men shall be put to death it was a literal command to execute them. I'm not sure why the pastor quoted it since it no longer applies anywhere. I'd guess to show God's strong opposition to it. I doubt he intended it as a death threat.

Leviticus 20:13 doesn't judge homosexuality (same sex attraction) which isn't considered a sin in Christianity which means it's possible to be a "homosexual" Christian. It only condemns the act of men lying with men which is considered a sin regardless of "orientation". One study found that 10% of men in the US slept with another man but only 2% identify as homosexual which means most of those men are "straight" (either they were just experimenting or did it in prison because women weren't available).

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 9:59 am

The Vayikra also said "a man who gathers sticks on the Shabat shall surely be put to death" also

I haven't seen any executions of those doing work on Sabbath.

What is germane is; Is a religious leaders saying a behaviour is immoral engaging in "hate" speech?
That is what this thread is asking?

What 3300 year old Torah Porsha said is immaterial.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 10:19 am

Individual Christians have acquired a (mostly-deserved) reputation for "cherry-picking" the laws of G^D to justify their own prejudices, while ignoring others that would condemn their own actions

Image "What?!  Hypocrisy in the Christian church?  I am shocked!  Shocked, I say!"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 10:54 am

Fnord wrote:
Individual Christians have acquired a (mostly-deserved) reputation for "cherry-picking" the laws of G^D to justify their own prejudices, while ignoring others that would condemn their own actions

Image "What?!  Hypocrisy in the Christian church?  I am shocked!  Shocked, I say!"

Defining hate laws in this Manor would effect all the world's religions.Every religion is critical of someone's lifestyle.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2020, 11:04 am

vermontsavant wrote:
The Vayikra also said "a man who gathers sticks on the Shabat shall surely be put to death" also

If you're referring to the Jewish scriptures, the punishments written in the law only applied to ancient Israel. I can quote verses showing that people were put to death for defiantly disobeying God's command to not work on the Sabbath.

Quote:
What is germane is; Is a religious leaders saying a behaviour is immoral engaging in "hate" speech?

Some people who live immoral lifestyles get upset when people judge them for their immoral behavior. They want to punish people who hurt their feelings. Also, there's one extremely intolerant party in my country who hates Christianity and wants to attack anything that is righteous, decent, or moral while defending and promoting every kind of lawless, immoral behavior that is opposed to good Christian values.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 11:20 am

vermontsavant wrote:
... Every religion is critical of someone's lifestyle.
Which is one of the many reasons why I hate religion -- "Thou Shalt" this, "Thou Shalt Not" that, and "The Penalty for X is Y" -- the focus of the teaching is on sin and punishment, with very little focus on teaching love, forgiveness, compassion, equality, charity, community service, goodwill, intellect, faith, and hope ... unless you are already a member in good standing of that particular church (everybody else is going straight to Hell).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 12:06 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

If you're referring to the Jewish scriptures, the punishments written in the law only applied to ancient Israel. I can quote verses showing that people were put to death for defiantly disobeying God's command to not work on the Sabbath.

Quote:

Some people who live immoral lifestyles get upset when people judge them for their immoral behavior. They want to punish people who hurt their feelings. Also, there's one extremely intolerant party in my country who hates Christianity and wants to attack anything that is righteous, decent, or moral while defending and promoting every kind of lawless, immoral behavior that is opposed to good Christian values.
I know Moses ordered a person stoned for gathering sticks on the Shabos,I was talking about in recent times and was being sarcastic really and trying to get the thread back on track.I'm aware the commandments apply to Jews and gentiles only have to follow the Noachide laws.

You got my main point that I defend freedom of speech and anyone's right to judge anyone,yes words hurt but an un-free society hurts worse.

Plus it's a double edge sword; If it's hate for leaders of any religion to judge anyone,then it's hate to call them hatemongers,because then your judging there lifestyle,it cuts both ways.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 1:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
... Every religion is critical of someone's lifestyle.
Which is one of the many reasons why I hate religion -- "Thou Shalt" this, "Thou Shalt Not" that, and "The Penalty for X is Y" -- the focus of the teaching is on sin and punishment, with very little focus on teaching love, forgiveness, compassion, equality, charity, community service, goodwill, intellect, faith, and hope ... unless you are already a member in good standing of that particular church (everybody else is going straight to Hell).

I think what I hate about religion is the amount of corruption that goes into it. Some priests exploit their followers for all sorts of unsavory things. Oh and murder is a sin! Unless it's the higher ups in your religion murdering you... :roll:

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 2:50 pm

So would leaving an iPad on an Amish persons door be the equivalent of leaving bacon on a mosques door handle? :D

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 3:25 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
So would leaving an iPad on an Amish persons door be the equivalent of leaving bacon on a mosques door handle? :D
I don't know about the Amish and I know it's a joke,as far as the bacon on a Mosk door.

Back when the US Army tried using special bullets dipped in pork blood,the Muslim fighters found out and said that in Holy War( Jyhad) Allah protects there souls from those types of tactics.I'd guess the Amish would have a similar clause in there religion.
It was a good joke though.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Aug 2020, 4:16 pm

The Amish have strange rules about technology, but wouldn’t object to handling an iPad. They’re not vampires :D

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 4:27 pm

Maybe they're reverse vampires? They always neglected it in the films, but in the book, Dracula has a magnificent mustache. Compare that to the Amish beard-style. Coincidence?

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2020, 5:36 pm

Fnord wrote:

Human beings have a tendency to judge others while ignoring their own faults. I think it's just part of human nature.

Quote:

I agree there's definitely hypocrites in the Christian church and met plenty of people who identified as Christian who avoided going to church for that reason but I think a big part of it is that most people aren't aware of their own faults. They think they're righteous and living a godly lifestyle but don't realize how much sin they're committing. I've found it's easy to find faults in others but much harder to become aware of and admit my own faults although I'm getting better.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 4:50 am

emotrtkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Human beings have a tendency to judge others while ignoring their own faults. I think it's just part of human nature.

Quote:

I agree there's definitely hypocrites in the Christian church and met plenty of people who identified as Christian who avoided going to church for that reason but I think a big part of it is that most people aren't aware of their own faults. They think they're righteous and living a godly lifestyle but don't realize how much sin they're committing. I've found it's easy to find faults in others but much harder to become aware of and admit my own faults although I'm getting better.

You have failed to answer the crux of the thread.
Should it be illegal to express religious or political beliefs that condemn another's lifestyle?
Canada has done it.In Israel you can't speak of a religion other than Judaism to anyone under 18.
It would be considered you could say Spiritual molestation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 8:06 am

vermontsavant wrote:
You have failed to answer the crux of the thread...
This is my answer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 8:09 am

I don't believe it should illegal for a person to express a moral opinion using religious examples. As long as this expression doesn't materially harm the recipient.

But I do believe governments should not impose religious standards upon the populace.