Should hate crime laws apply to religious groups?

Page 6 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Should hate crime laws apply to religious groups?
Yes - Hate crime laws should apply to everyone 95%  95%  [ 20 ]
No - Religious groups should be exempt 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2020, 4:25 pm

The whole idea of hate crime laws is like something you'd find in a George Orwell novel. Having hate crime laws enables the authorities to treat the same crimes differently depending on whether the people involved are in so-called protected groups or not.

So before you ask if hate crime laws should apply to religious groups, you could start by asking if hate crime laws should exist at all. But both questions are kind of meaningless. There is no rule book in the sky for us to refer to. Some people will want hate crime laws for religious groups as well as racial and ethnic groups, some people will want hate crime laws to apply to racial and ethnic groups only, and some people won't want any hate crime laws at all. And those who have the power will decide on the outcome. Logical-sounding justifications one way or the other that you hear in public debates (for example, stuff about how you can choose your religion but not your race) might seem convincing, but when you hear this stuff you should ask yourself "cui bono?"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 4:47 pm

Then if hate-crime laws are eliminated, there are still laws against discrimination, slander, and libel to consider.  Sadly, religious institutions in this country seem to get a free pass unless they're caught doing something really heinous like raping and murdering children.  Even then, priests are usually just transferred to other parishes and told to repent on their own.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 4:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
Then if hate-crime laws are eliminated, there are still laws against discrimination, slander, and libel to consider.  Sadly, religious institutions in this country seem to get a free pass unless they're caught doing something really heinous like raping and murdering children.  Even then, priests are usually just transferred to other parishes and told to repent on their own.

OMG. Repent on their own .!

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 4:59 pm

Fnord wrote:

Your previous icon was much more intimidating , but current one makes you look more humane .

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 5:12 pm

If a religion's scripture says "if a man is found canoodling in bed with another man as if the other man were a chick" (to paraphrase Leviticus)"then you should stone em both to death" , and a preacher quotes that scripture from the pulpit then ....I suppose I would consider that both free speech, and freedom of religion. And the preacher should not be arrested for "hate speech". Dont like it but thats how it is.

If the preacher actually instructed his flock to go out and gun down folks at a gay bar in town, or an Iman told his flock to murder Zionists I suppose that would be different because it would instructing folks to do a specific act of violence.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 5:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If a religion's scripture says "if a man is found canoodling in bed with another man as if the other man were a chick" (to paraphrase Leviticus)"then you should stone em both to death" , and a preacher quotes that scripture from the pulpit then ....I suppose I would consider that both free speech, and freedom of religion. And the preacher should not be arrested for "hate speech". Dont like it but thats how it is.

If the preacher actually instructed his flock to go out and gun down folks at a gay bar in town, or an Iman told his flock to murder Zionists I suppose that would be different because it would instructing folks to do a specific act of violence.

Burn em ,, they did witches in Salem why are these folks any different. :evil: Just offering personally obnoxious opinion

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 6:58 pm

Jakki wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Burn em ,, they did witches in Salem why are these folks any different. :evil: Just offering personally obnoxious opinion

And then...what do you do if a preacher tells his flock to eat Tide Pods(to test their faith)? Or to handle rattle snakes? Or to do defy social distancing and to gather for a church service like its normal...and deaths result?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 8:20 pm

Hmmmm....... what to do ? Burn , em. Rings a bell .... looolz. Maybe a tad extreme ..... maybe ? Not ?

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 8:22 pm

Jakki wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

My sister actually visited Salem. The tour guide explained to her that they never actually burned suspected witches in Salem. Most of them were hanged. One man was crushed to death by a pile of heavy stones placed on his chest.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 8:32 pm

Jakki wrote:
Hmmmm....... what to do ? Burn , em. Rings a bell .... looolz. Maybe a tad extreme ..... maybe ? Not ?

Huh?
I mean what if the preacher tells them to harm themselves instead of telling them to go out harm others? And they follow. Do you prosecute the preacher then ...for inspiring them to commit violence upon ...themselves?

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 8:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Huh?
I mean what if the preacher tells them to harm themselves instead of telling them to go out harm others? And they follow. Do you prosecute the preacher then ...for inspiring them to commit violence upon ...themselves?

That's what Jim Jones and Marshall Applewhite did. :)

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2020, 11:13 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I don't agree with Christians who are against the LGBTQ,but I would not bring a gay friend to the house of an evangelical friend out of respect for there beliefs even if I don't like there beliefs,it's part of living in a fee society.

Christians aren't against LGBTQ people. There are "gay" Christians who struggle with same sex attraction who remain celibate. Even if you brought a friend who lived a homosexual or transgender lifestyle, it wouldn't be any different than bringing a friend who has been divorced and remarried (adultery) since living an adulterous lifestyle is just as much a mortal sin as living a homosexual lifestyle according to Christian teaching and Christians don't expect unbelievers to be without sin especially since Christians aren't perfect either.
I'm divorced.

I have heard Christians say they wouldn't let someone who was gay at there house,or others say a gay relative could come but not there partner or in today's world spouse.

According to Christian teaching, God doesn't recognize civil divorce which means that while you're living separately, you're still married in the eyes of God unless your wife has passed away. You wouldn't be guilty of adultery unless you cheat on your wife.

Keep in mind there are many people who refuse to submit to Christian teaching who like to identify as Christian. Typically, they'll take a book (usually the bible) and twist the verses to make them agree with their own opinions or whatever feels right to them. They're really just following themselves and using the bible to feel self-righteous and judge others.

Jakki wrote:
Does divorce have to be acknowledged by a Christian church for it to be valid in the eyes of the church ?

Divorce is never valid. Regardless of what any sect says, the couple remains married in the eyes of God according to Christian teaching. That's why "marrying" another spouse while your real spouse is still alive is adultery.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 11:19 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
According to Christian teaching, God doesn't recognize civil divorce which means that while you're living separately, you're still married in the eyes of God unless your wife has passed away. You wouldn't be guilty of adultery unless you cheat on your wife.

"God" seems to change his mind a fair amount over the course of the old testament.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 4:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

"God" seems to change his mind a fair amount over the course of the old testament.
If your asking about Old Testament divorce.An Orthodox Jew who is not happy in there marriage can go to a Bet Din(Rabbinical court)and ask for a Get(a divorce righteous by God).If there is valid reason by Jewish law then the Bet Din will grant the Get.Once you have the Get you may pursue divorce in secular civil court without violating Jewish law.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 4:46 am

vermontsavant wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

If your asking about Old Testament divorce.An Orthodox Jew who is not happy in there marriage can go to a Bet Din(Rabbinical court)and ask for a Get(a divorce righteous by God).If there is valid reason by Jewish law then the Bet Din will grant the Get.Once you have the Get you may pursue divorce in secular civil court without violating Jewish law.

Ah I see, so orthodox mean's literal interpretation of god's law whereas secular and mainstream judaism isn't so hardlined and softened its interpretation.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 6:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

Ah I see, so orthodox mean's literal interpretation of god's law whereas secular and mainstream judaism isn't so hardlined and softened its interpretation.

I don't claim to be an expert but that's the gist of it.