Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 5:02 am

You're supposed to wait for the red light to go out before putting the thing to be cooked in the oven. You do that then because you've opened the door the light comes on again . After a while the light goes off only for the light to come back on again a little later!

caraway_cat
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2020, 5:10 am

I have a gas oven which has no piezo ignition so I have to practically crawl in the oven to light it with a match, so I think you're super blessed to have a fickle red light. :D

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 7:32 am

It is to maintain the desired temperature. Light on = heat being added. To cook something, you want the oven to first get preheated to the right temperature. When it reaches that temperature, the light (and heat) goes off. Then, because the door got opened and some heat escaped, some more heat is added to get it to the right temperature again, then the heat goes off again. As time passes some heat will be escaping even without the door opening, so from time to time more will be added.

It is the same principle as a furnace run by a thermostat, going on and off and on and off to keep the building to the desired temperature. Clothes dryers have an internal thermostat that turns the heat on and off as well (the dryer keeps running/spinning but the heat pauses until it cools a bit; otherwise the clothes get too hot and shrink).

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 7:38 am

I think your oven is trying messing with your head. I sounds like some kind of passive-aggressive thing

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 8:14 am

Thanks for the replies, Especially yours Carpeta.