Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 12:03 pm

‘Anti-Racist’ Education Is Anything But

Frederick M. Hess is the director of education-policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute.

Quote:
tudents are heading back to school this fall (in-person or remotely) after the longest, strangest summer on record. It’s been the summer not just of COVID but also of massive protests and rioting triggered by the police killing of George Floyd in May. Calls for racial justice have swept the land, and schools have responded by embracing the push for “anti-racist” education. This should be a wonderful thing. If there’s anything that promises to unite a divided nation, it’s joining together to advance equality and justice.

Thus, it’s no surprise that “anti-racism” has found an eager reception. It has made a television star and publishing phenom out of Ibram X. Kendi, author of How to Be an Anti-Racist. It’s made a best-seller out of Robin DiAngelo, the author of White Fragility, who explains, “A positive white identity is an impossible goal. White identity is inherently racist; white people do not exist outside the system of white supremacy.” (As DiAngelo puts it, her aim is to be “a little less white” every day.)

The problem: “Anti-racism” is often little more than a crude bit of rhetorical flim-flam, akin to that unlovely old Southern habit of rechristening the Civil War the “War of Northern Aggression.” In fact, much of what passes for “anti-racism” is a poisonous exercise in rank bigotry — especially when applied to education. The healthy impulse implied by “anti-racism” has been coopted by ideologues. While there are serious, practical issues to tackle, the “anti-racists” have instead declared war on the intellectual traits that equip students for personal and civic success.

The famed KIPP charter schools abandoned their longtime slogan of “Work Hard, Be Nice” after KIPP’s leadership decided that the decades-old slogan hinders efforts to “dismantle systemic racism.” This summer, the National Museum of African American History and Culture’s website featured an educational resource which described traits like “individualism,” “hard work,” “objectivity,” “progress,” “politeness,” “decision-making,” and “delayed gratification” as hallmarks of “white culture.”

The superintendent of New York’s East Harlem Scholars Academies penned a back-to-school essay for Education Week which instructed “white teachers” to steer away from talking about the individual accomplishments of black Americans, because doing so would “unintentionally teach students that ‘really good, really successful’ Black folks are exempt from racist structures.”

These cartoonish dogmas are both insulting and insane. For one thing, no one who’s been to Singapore or South Korea would view traits such as “hard work” or “politeness” as especially “white.” For another, across Africa and South America, air-traffic controllers and cardiovascular surgeons put a lot of faith in things such as “decision-making” and “objectivity.” And, for what it’s worth, black parents are a bit more likely than white parents to think it’s important to teach their kids traits such as “hard work” and “persistence.” Truth is, we’d rightly condemn as an anachronistic menace any good ol’ boy who suggested that there was something uniquely “white” about being polite or working hard.

Kendi’s How to Be an Antiracist instructs us that there is one correct stance on standardized testing (it’s racist), pot legalization (it’s anti-racist), Medicare for All (it’s anti-racist), and even the capital gains tax rate (low rates are racist). To Kendi and his followers, there is no room for good-faith arguments — there are only disciples and racists. Kendi, whose August has included a $10 million donation from Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and a fawning cover story in The Atlantic, has promised to “build the world anew” with antiracist research and public scholarship.

It’s one thing to work in good faith with those who disagree about pedagogy or policy, it’s another when “anti-racists” insist that pointing out that 2 + 2 = 4 “reeks of white supremacist patriarchy,” or that “whiteness is a cancer.” Yet, not only are such statements loudly and proudly shared by “anti-racist” educators, but they’re frequently conjoined with the disturbing insistence that those who disagree need to be reeducated into a more enlightened stance.

Let’s be clear. There are indeed racists who need to be fought and the American right features more than its share of lunacy. No argument. But what’s troubling is that the crazy parts of anti-racist education aren’t being spread by anonymous conspiracy-mongers or Twitter trolls but by celebrated keynote speakers and acclaimed authorities.

America’s demographics have changed. Schools have an obligation to educate, respect, and connect with the kids in their classrooms. There are any number of concrete changes that can help. We should explore how to revamp school-based policing, better prepare teachers, provide all students with access to advanced courses and essential supports, and give every family the chance to choose a safe, effective school. We should rename the 160-odd schools still named for Confederate leaders and demand that history instruction tell the whole of the American story. So there’s important, practical work to do.

Kendi’s intellectual intolerance or the Smithsonian’s embrace of racial stereotypes would seem to represent an assault on core liberal precepts, but too few on the left agree (or, perhaps, are willing to say that they do). That makes it tougher than it should be to build broad-based support for sensible, necessary change.

The “anti-racist” evangelists have little time for such considerations as they mount their self-serving culture war. Along the way, they’re creating an impossible dilemma for those who are fighting to expand opportunity for all children but unwilling to give a moral sanction to those who sow divisive, destructive calumny in the name of “justice.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 10:38 pm

Whether partially true or not, I don't like it.

Most people are likely victims of their own stupidity, not racism.

Be the hero of your life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 1:01 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Whether partially true or not, I don't like it.

Most people are likely victims of their own stupidity, not racism.

Only if you're referring to the idiocy of racists.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 1:57 am

If you are not anti racist, you are part of the problem in society that contributes to racism.

If you are anti racist, you are part of the solution and are no longer part of the problem in society.

I choose option #2.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 2:20 am

"Anti-racism" seems to be simply "reverse racism" under a new name...

Racism, but "good" racism because it sets certain "good" races above other "bad" races.

I'd class "racists" and "anti-racists" as being equally abhorent, as they both seek to set certain races above others, rather than treating people the same, regardless of their race.

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Sep 2020, 2:32 am

Brictoria wrote:

Racism, but "good" racism because it sets certain "good" races above other "bad" races.

I'd class "racists" and "anti-racists" as being equally abhorent, as they both seek to set certain races above others, rather than treating people the same, regardless of their race.

I don't see how the issues that author has with anti-racism are really all that valid. They complain that saying things are anti-racist is a problem but while you could make the argument they're not anti-racist, it's certainly not a stretch to argue the opposite. And either way, these things do help racial minorities (as well as other disenfranchised people):

- pot legalization - doesn't seem like a stretch when so many black people are in prison for possessing small amounts
- capital gains tax - i guess considering that most rich people are white, increasing it hurts white people more - but low capital gains taxes really just hurt everyone but a small minority of very rich people and those people can afford to pay it and still have a lot of money left over for their yachts.
- standardized testing - yeah it's racist - the tests contain cultural context that white people are much more likely to understand

What a bad faith article imo.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 3:10 am

Brictoria wrote:

No, anti-racism is not abhorrent. It's not a matter of placing one race above another. It's a matter of recognizing all races as equal.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 3:29 am

Quote:
...individualism,” “hard work,” “objectivity,” “progress,” “politeness,” “decision-making,” and “delayed gratification”...hallmarks of “white culture.”

Quote:
"A positive white identity is an impossible goal. White identity is inherently racist; white people do not exist outside the system of white supremacy.”

I see the racism. When do they get to the "anti-" part?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Sep 2020, 3:46 am

I don’t think Kendi’s black and white approach (pardon the expression) is a useful way of combatting racism. While, yes, we must be conscious of ways that our “defaults” might lead to avoidable inequality, lots of things aren’t inherently related to race, or they have a relationship which is very hard to disentangle and cannot be boiled down to a sound bite. For example, low capital gains tax incentivises investment, which tends to benefit the low-paid and create jobs, as well as encouraging social mobility (you can only stop being poor through capital gains). He also paints with far too broad a brush when he derides notions of objectivity and hard work entirely - while these ideals are sometimes used to defend racist systems, they surely have a place in any society. Some of his policy prescriptions which aren’t mentioned in the article are just outright dystopian, particularly combined with his black-and-White definitions.

That said I think either trying to use Kendi as representative of anti-racist people is a bit silly, and drawing a comparison between between racists and anti-racists is Orwellian nonsense that can fairly be described as a racist opinion. It isn’t even a fair characterisation of Kendi, whose life story and ideological trajectory are well documented.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 3:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
It's a matter of recognizing all races as equal.

It is problematic when you go to a Trump rally anywhere in the US and it looks one has entered a time machine and returned to the 1950s

If these guys really embraced all races then why do only see a sea of white faces at Trump rallies...hmmmmm

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 3:58 am

There is "anti racism", and then there is "Anti Racism" (like being "moral" vs being a member of "the Moral Majority").Not quite the same thing.

The former is what any decent person would be. The later is a label for a new trendy agenda in academia(one Ive never heard of before) that makes a fetish out of opposing racism to take things in some dubious direction. Or thats how the author portrays it. And I dont disagree with him if he is accurately describing the fad.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 4:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
There is "anti racism", and then there is "Anti Racism" (like being "moral" vs being a member of "the Moral Majority").Not quite the same thing.

The former is what any decent person would be. The later is a label for a new trendy agenda in academia(one Ive never heard of before) that makes a fetish out of opposing racism to take things in some dubious direction. Or thats how the author portrays it. And I dont disagree with him if he is accurately describing the fad.

Apparently in "conservative speak" being "anti-racism" is being "anti-white". Did you check my profile of the Trump rally? no Asians, no hispanics, no natives, no blacks....if it looks like a rat....walks like a rat...

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 4:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Apparently in "conservative speak" being "anti-racism" is being "anti-white". Did you check my profile of the Trump rally? no Asians, no hispanics, no natives, no blacks....if it looks like a rat....walks like a rat...

It's probably a supporter of the sociopathic rioters using a carefully selected photograph to further their agenda, while ignoring all evidence available which disproves their assertions?

ImageImage

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 4:38 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

It's probably a supporter of the sociopathic rioters using a carefully selected photograph to further their agenda, while ignoring all evidence available which disproves their assertions?

ImageImage

Forgive me if I am skeptical of political spin when it comes to representation in Trump rallies

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN23U2JX

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 4:48 am

what is WRONG with POC who support that racist in the face of all the harm he has stochastically endorsed? it is like they hate their fellows.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2020, 5:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
Forgive me if I am skeptical of political spin

Which is why I am sceptical of people who do things like take a photograph of a small portion of an audience and use that to make blanket claims about the entire population who attended the event :D