Why are the police so intimidated by protesters?

Page 4 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 6:11 pm

ironpony wrote:
That makes sense. Why would the voters be voting DA's who are soft on police brutality crimes?

because consistent majorities of voters want it that way, to them it is a feature and not a bug. society must change before this changes.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 7:47 pm

Oh okay, but why is it a feature?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 8:04 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but why is it a feature?

racist laws [that allow racist psychopathic cops patrolling just the POC/poor parts of town and to keep POC/pofolk out of the better parts of town] for racist people.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 8:17 pm

Oh okay but why do the voters want that feature?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:36 am

fascist cops for fascist people.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 2:58 pm

Oh okay. Well is it really possible to have an entire country where not every cop on the police force is not racist? I mean there hasn't been a police force like that in the history of the world, so aren't the protesters asking for the impossible?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 3:23 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. Well is it really possible to have an entire country where not every cop on the police force is not racist? I mean there hasn't been a police force like that in the history of the world, so aren't the protesters asking for the impossible?

i get the impression that swedish policemen [for example] are not going to be as outright hostile to POC as many of our cops seem to be. the protesters are asking not for perfection but for the basic level of adequacy the civilized world outside of amuuurica takes for granted. it is NOT impossible. but it IS improbable.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm

Yeah that makes sense. However, I don't think that defunding the police is a solution to racism in police forces, and doing so will actually make the problem worse. So I don't see how defunding will work, unless the protesters are thinking that taking money out of racists pockets, will make them less racist, or unless I am missing something?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:07 pm

the protesters are concerned that police are being made to do social things they are not well suited for, so better to take some of that police funding and reinforce social workers, put as simply as possible.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:52 pm

Oh okay, but I thought that this protest is about how the police treated suspects like George Floyd? Isn't this social work thing a different issue then?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:06 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but I thought that this protest is about how the police treated suspects like George Floyd? Isn't this social work thing a different issue then?

IOW in dealing with the george floyds of this nation we need cops with a social conscience and not just the usual hammerheads.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:11 pm

Oh okay but what does that have to do with wanting social workers to handle certain aspects?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:14 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay but what does that have to do with wanting social workers to handle certain aspects?

basically i meant rethinking police to be divided into pure police [SWAT] versus having everyday community safety officers as they are configured in many other nations, IOW part cop, part street shrink/social worker, basically somebody who is a more fully formed human being and not just a brutal hammerhead. somebody with some social common sense.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:53 pm

Oh okay. But would social workers like to make arrests thought, or would they be okay with doing that, if they were not a full on cop? Or I guess they would just call other cops to help with that, if need be?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 12:07 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. But would social workers like to make arrests thought, or would they be okay with doing that, if they were not a full on cop? Or I guess they would just call other cops to help with that, if need be?

public safety officers in other places [including some enlightened american cities, actually] are "jacks of all trades" in terms of being simultaneously trained police officers as well as social workers and medics. i think any non-sociopathic person of a service to humanity bent would love this form of public service as it covers all the bases. but the problem is that police departments traditionally sought people of a sociopathic bent esp. those who prioritized the hiring of people scoring in the first standard deviation in IQ tests [IOW no more than IQ 106 or so]. just like for teachers and medicos, they should hire only the best and brightest for PSO work.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 12:11 am

Oh okay. I didn't think that higher IQ's would help since there are a lot of sociopaths with high IQ's unless I am wrong on that of course :). Is 106 IQ really that low though?

But if the police were muc more educated in different areas, that would cost more to train them, so wouldn't that need more funding, than defunding?