Why are the police so intimidated by protesters?

Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 4:28 am

Oh okay, I was phrasing it as defunding since that was the term a lot of the protesters are using. But to rephrase the question then, why are the mayors and governors intiminated by the protesters and giving in then?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 4:45 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, I was phrasing it as defunding since that was the term a lot of the protesters are using. But to rephrase the question then, why are the mayors and governors intiminated by the protesters and giving in then?

Their constituents agree with the protesters, they agree with the protesters, they don’t want to be branded as a racist, videos of police cracking down will make their city or state look bad.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 4:52 am

ironpony wrote:

I wasnt blaming you for using the word "defunding". I was blaming the folks who use it as a slogan for using it.

To answer this subsequent question:it's because we live in a democracy.

The whole point of democracy is that the people rule. So if your voters are excercising free speech by peacefully protesting about an issue you might want to listen to them in order to get reelected. Whether or not, or to what degree, you go along with the constituency represented by the protestors all depends on the local politics. But if there are large scale protests you pretty much have to respond in SOME way. And start some kind of dialogue.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 5:38 am

As the old saying goes: The people shouldn't be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of its people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 9:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Their constituents agree with the protesters, they agree with the protesters, they don’t want to be branded as a racist, videos of police cracking down will make their city or state look bad.

It must be too rocket science for them to change how they treat black people so they would rather try and bully the protesters into silence.

Just like how it was too rocket science for my school to treat me equal as my peers and having a different set of rules for me and not make them apply to other students so they somehow thought it would be easier to claim I had a behavior disorder so they could get rid of me. :roll:

People are strange.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 9:54 am

Government is Servant of the People;
'Faux News' is Servant Of The Folks Paying Them;
Trump Is Attempting to Be A Dictator of Everyone
But Himself;
For People
Who Generate
Their Own
Happiness
Need Not Ever
Subjugate and
Control Other Folks
For Selfish Gains; Filling
The Void Within; Government
Is Laws to Protect the Right to
This Life; This Liberty; And This Pursuit of Happiness;
'The Void'
Will Always
Follow the
Way of
Empty Within
And Never Ever Enough...

Have 'You' Seen the Void In The Eyes
of Folks who Do the News on Faux News;
Have You Seen the Void in the Eyes of Trump,
His Family, And All His Cohorts too; If Not; In Crux; That's A REAL Problem...

People Who Generate Their Own Happiness Within Have No 'Need' to be 'Intimidated'
And Be 'Slave' to Anyone Else for 'Those Selfish Gains'; People don't Usually get into Politics for Service;
And Quite Frankly, Folks Don't Usually Get Into Law Enforcement For Dreams of Happiness Fulfilled Within Either...

The Folks Who Generate
Their Own Happiness
Within; Just
Aren't
Missing
Much in Life;

Therefore, What's
Missing Becomes Missing
More From Top Down More Now...

Think About How Truly Weak Trump Is; All His Needs Met Outside of 'Him';
Think About How Truly Weak Those Who Support 'Him' Are; in the Same General Way;
Think About What Life Must Be Like Truly Meek Needing No External Affirmation in Life at all...

Know 'The Beast';
Don't Play the Game;
Know 'YouR' Self; Then Really Be Free And Win Directing Your Own Play...

When One is Empty Within, They Will Do Anything
It Takes; to Keep Hold of what is Holding Their Empty Soul Down Up...

Those Who are filled up within,
Are Not Intimidated And In Need of Anything Others Provide...

(From a 'Soul Perspective' at least)

'They' are Just Naturally
Rich in Balance Like the
Rest of Nature Without
'These Humans' Without Wings Problems...

If 'You' Understand 'the Beast';
You Understand the Beast
Does Not
Understand
The Beast; That's
Just a Metaphor; 'Real Animals;
Truly Understand 'It all'... Humans
Wear Many Layers of Faux News...

IN
Balance,

Other Animals; Yes, Other
Beasts; Do Not Wear Faux Human
CuLTuRaL Clothes; They Just Naked Do F in Free

At Best
In All
Natural
Naked Balance;
Oh Lord, The Other Animals
Are Practically In Heaven of
Animal Homeostasis; Have

You Seen

Trump's

Frown;

Indeed A Symbol
of Capitalism as it Falls;
Love of Stuff and Money
As God Trump's FRoWN Surely Is
Apple as New Rotten 'American Pie'...

Other than
That; it's
A Beautiful
Day In my Neighborhood;
Have A Nice Day in Yours too...

-Fred

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 12:53 pm

Oh okay but defunding the police will not change the way the police treat people, it will actually make it worse. For example, in NYC, since the police departmented was defunded, crime has gone up because of it. So since it would make it worse, if a mayor wanted to defund, couldn't the police invoke some sort of act, that the mayor is doing something that is going to make things much worse, and has therefore become mentally unsound to be mayor, and needs to removed? Could any type of action like that be invoked to reverse a mayor's decision?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 1:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As the old saying goes: The people shouldn't be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of its people.

Don't tell that to the libertarians more concerned by property damage than citizens being shot without due process. :roll:

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 1:17 pm

But defunding the police means less officers though, which means the police will be forced to use more brutal force as a result. For example, one police officer having to fight 5 guys, is going to have to defend himself with more face, compared to say 20 officers facing off against 5 guys. The more back up you have, the less brutal force you have to use. So defunding just makes that worse, doesn't it?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 2:27 pm

I, and Mayor Muriel Bowser of Washington D.C., both pretty much agree with you.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2020, 3:41 pm

The police aren't intimidated. Their job is to protect citizens from criminals. When people riot, set fires, and cause chaos the police have to duty to put a stop to it to keep everyone safe.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 5:36 pm

ironpony wrote:
But defunding the police means less officers though, which means the police will be forced to use more brutal force as a result. For example, one police officer having to fight 5 guys, is going to have to defend himself with more face, compared to say 20 officers facing off against 5 guys. The more back up you have, the less brutal force you have to use. So defunding just makes that worse, doesn't it?

I think that you are going by a fallacy that everyone acts logically, that the only thing on the mind of a police officer is arrest the target and do so in the safest way possible, using more force if in greater danger. But an over bloated police budget can have other effects, such as emboldening the officers that they can get away with anything, that it can turn them into the toughest gang around that can teach the disrespectful citizens a lesson. Have you seen the police using the symbol of the Punisher? Many of them have felt too restricted by laws and regulations, and just want to go in guns blazing, giving them all the money they want just feeds that.

But you are on the right track for some things, about how you think an officer might need to use force with fewer people, because the idea of being outnumbered sounds scary, thus you think they should reach for their gun more readily. The thing is that these officers are already terrified of black people, the research shows that they see black men as more dangerous and at younger ages too. Whether concious or not, there is an imbalance of racist thought that has made them brutalize the black community, and that needs to stop. Not to mention that American police are also terrified that any random person might pull a gun on them, that is your second amendment people making police wanting bullet proof vests, making people want armour piercing bullets, making police want to shoot the second a scary black man reaches for a gun.

If you want to know why the police are so intimidated by protesters, it is because they are not allowed to arrest or shoot them, to shut up their risk to their cool toys and friends, or to stop their perceived disrespect to them. To an American police officer, the greatest crime is being disrespectful to them, they have forgotten that they are meant to serve the people, just like the government. And come to some weird conclusion that property is more important than people.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 6:09 pm

Oh okay. And yes, police officers do not act logically all the time, but I thought they would probably act logically more often than they would not.

Also, I do agree that you don' t want to give them too much budget either. But when it comes to police having too much protection from consequences of brutality, it's usually the unions protect them, if I am right? So wouldn't the best solution rather than defunding, would be to remove their union protection?

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 6:44 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. And yes, police officers do not act logically all the time, but I thought they would probably act logically more often than they would not.

Also, I do agree that you don't want to give them too much budget either. But when it comes to police having too much protection from consequences of brutality, it's usually the unions protect them, if I am right? So wouldn't the best solution rather than defunding, would be to remove their union protection?

I agree with that, I am against unions for any government employees.

I saw where Ngo captured footage of BLM protesters in Seattle heckling random people in their houses, demanding reparations for gentrification. So, anyone supporting BLM, I challenge you to give your house over to a black person today and also withdraw all the money from your accounts and give it away. Admit your White Fragility in keeping the black man down, they are Saints on this earth, and it is only you, evil wh***y, keeping them down. You got to pay for the sins of your elders, cough up all your money, support BLM!

Are you writing a check right now? 8O If not, why not? 8O

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 8:04 pm

Well I suggested the idea before of taking away the police's union protection, but I was told that BLM would sign on for that, because BLM is pro-union. But isn't that like wanting to have your cake and eat it too?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 3:56 am

roronoa79 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Don't tell that to the libertarians more concerned by property damage than citizens being shot without due process. :roll:

There was a certain former WP member who used to harp on me constantly out of his devotion to libertarianism.