Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2020, 12:35 pm

I have someone on here whom I was facebook friends with but he thought I unfriended him. I never did. Why is Facebook doing unauthorized things? No one in Sucker's empire is authorized to make decisions on my behalf! :evil:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 12:41 pm

Facebook is rubbish cos you're meant to be social media friends with people you know irl on it.

Certain people who I can be quite happy being acquaintances of, I don't want to hear their opinions when their opinions are bad.

Surely they feel the same about me.

So it makes you enemies with people from real life.

It's better to talk to irl friends offline/via email and online friends online imo. I want my social media friends to be somewhat disposable.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 4:04 pm

I grew up during an era when it was strongly considered unacceptable to foist your opinions of religion, politics, sexual matters on anyone at anytime in social environments. These could be discussed in private by mutual agreement or at home or at political meetings but never in any social arena - NEVER -it was not merely considered impolite, it was one of the worst social faux pas anyone could make, and those who tried to do so were social pariahs; it was viewed as uncivil, invasive and disrespectful.

Unless you knew someone well enough to know that within the context of this friendship the omission could be relaxed, - longstanding close friends between whom there was much mutual trust and respect - then foisting views on people was seen as a personal intrusion and offensive behaviour.

I very rarely visit FB now. The licence that some members give themselves to almost continuously batter me with their unasked-for opinions, particularly on politics, does offend me - whatever their own political leanings. I use only the private groups there now, family history, cats, autism issues, family photos and so on. Otherwise I would feel psychologically mugged constantly and sometimes I so wish the old conventions still applied...

The contempt for civil behaviour over the past few decades has so greatly increased in each of the past two decades and seems to expanding every year now, and FB seems to be one of the major vectors of that particular virus...

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 5:21 pm

I grew up with the same civil rules you did, B19. I agree with you.

Enviro, FB is so huge, it is largely out of control. Complex systems make unexplained errors. There is not much to do except explain and try to mend things.

If your friend can’t accept your explanation...not really a friend.

But, here is another take on it: suppose this friend was trying to terminate the relationship, and then blames you for unfriending him. Hmmm. Sounds more likely than FB error.

I know this type of thing was done to me.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2020, 11:27 pm

^It was an error, we've sorted it out and he accepted a new friend request. I think there are occasional glitches on the Facebook system. I have a limited number of friends on FB and we do not discuss politics or other controversial topics. I use it to keep in touch with (a) friends I know in real life but stay far away and seldom seen, and (b) a few people I have never met in real life as they live abroad in other countries (or in my own) but like and this is how we can stay in touch across the planet.

I've never seen either Facebook or Twitter as a place to air or to see nasty stuff and ignore it when I do.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 11:52 pm

As far as I can tell, Facebonk never posted a single message of mine. I don't have favourite movies, etc, so they probably were not making any advertising money from me. All my old correspondents on the listservs quit them in favour of a place where nothing is off-topic and the recipient list is unknown. One woman was counting on her live feed to provide witnesses to prevent her murder, and it was turned off at the request of the Police just before she died. Years ago, when Zuckerberg did a presentation to a tech-savvy group, someone asked him point-blank what he was up to. He broke into a cold sweat, and didn't answer. If a service is free, you are what is being sold.