Does anyone else like watching children's TV shows?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Do you like watching children's TV shows?
Yes 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
No 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 11

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2020, 3:59 pm

I like them because they have simple storylines and happy endings. I don't watch today's shows but ones I watched when I was 4 or 5 in the early 90s.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 12:45 am

I have never owned a TV.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 7:52 am

It depends on my mood. I don’t always enjoy them, but sometimes they are exactly what I want. It also depends on the TV show/movie. I’m more likely to go for something nostalgic for me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 7:54 am

I watch a lot of Pingu or Sylvanian families episodes on YouTube.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 12:23 pm

I thought it was all for children. Very little television seems to be aimed at mature, thinking people.

But going by the labels they give it, yes I like some kid's programmes. Probably very little of the new stuff, and these days it's hard to know how much of my motivation is nostalgia and how much is direct interest. I don't watch live television any more, but I do watch DVDs, mp4s etc. Here's a list of all the shows I can think of. I don't suppose most people here will have heard of them.

Catweazle
The Magic Roundabout (old UK version)
Hector's House
Watch With Mother (old UK version): Picture Book, Andy Pandy, Rag Tag and Bobtail, Bill and Ben, The Woodentops
Four Feather Falls
Supercar
Fireball XL5
Thunderbirds
Rubovian Legends
Do Not Adjust Your Set
A Man And A Dog
Twizzle
Billy Bean And His Funny Machine
How?
Tales Of The Riverbank (old UK version)
Animal Magic
Zoo Time
Billy Bunter
Sooty (old UK version)
Robin Hood (old UK version with Richard Green)
Sketch Club
Mick & Montmorency
The Gay Cavalier
The Buccanneers
The Range Rider
The Lone Ranger
Rin Tin Tin
Annie Oakley
Whirlybirds
Foo Foo
Snip and Snap
The Pink Panther
Ace Of Wands
Trumpton
Bagpuss
Clangers (old UK version)
Ivor The Engine
Thomas The Tank Engine
Noggin The Nog
Captain Pugwash (old UK version)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 5:54 am

Depends what you mean by that. Programming aimed for teens, yes. Programming aimed for older children 7+ish. Yes Programing aimed for younger. Yes. but it really depends.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 6:12 am

Not generally, but with one notable exception.

As a child, my favourite TV show was the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command cartoon (the spin-off from Toy Story), and I have fond memories of watching that cartoon on Saturday mornings as a 6/7 year-old in 2003, until one day they changed the programming and it was never on anymore. I remember always checking in hopes that they'd put it back on, but they never did. Fortunately I'd taped some episodes.

In 2014, something jogged my memory about that show and I went searching to see if I could find the episodes to watch. I found them and watched them all and that was that. After that, I'd revisit the show once in a blue moon, until sometime in the second half of last year when I thought to try watching them while stoned. Since then, I will often watch some BLoSC on the weekend while under the influence, though I've watched each episode a fair number of times at this point.

I still think it's a great show, and I think watching it brings me back to simpler and happier times. I also understand the jokes that I missed, and storylines that went over my head as a child.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 7:20 am

I recently watched the Inside Out movie and found it entertaining. Tom and Jerry cartoons too.

Other recent movies:

Alvin and the chipmunks (1,2,3)

Free Birds

How to train your dragon

Being an adult doesn't mean leaving behind the child inside, we have to indulge it now and then.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 5:06 pm

In terms of relativity, no, but I like watching The Flintstones and Wild Kratts.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 7:36 am

I always thought the Flintstones was aimed at adults. The plots are very similar to any other sitcom.

Robbie Sallos
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm

I don't so much watch 'em these days but I do like revisiting stuff from my childhood now and then: Thundercats, the Animals of Farthing Wood, Mysterious Cities of Gold, that sort of thing.

Actually, tell a lie, I loved watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra a couple of years ago, might watch them again soon actually. Watched the new She-Ra with the sibs too, it was entertaining and very progressive. These shows aren't so much "kids shows" though as kids shows that are accessible to all ages, and with that in mind. Having said that, from what I've seen of the newer My Little Pony, even that has such things: homages to Mad Men, Poltergeist and the very 18 rated movie The Big Lebowski off the top of my head? :lol: That's pretty cool.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 8:10 pm

I'm not keen on the repetitive, predictable ones with too many singsongs. That's why I like Arthur, because it's not repetitive or too predictable, and they don't break out into song in every episode, and if they do it's usually catchy and funny.

Robbie Sallos
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2020, 8:19 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not keen on the repetitive, predictable ones with too many singsongs. That's why I like Arthur, because it's not repetitive or too predictable, and they don't break out into song in every episode, and if they do it's usually catchy and funny.

Your username reminded me: Hell yeah Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons 8)

greenmm37
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2020, 8:34 pm

I do so indiscriminately: as in, I watch whatever appeals to me, so I don't think too much about whether something is for 'kids' or 'adults.' If I find it entertaining and it checks my personal boxes for good storytelling, humor, animation, etc, then I'll watch it. When I was 19, 20-ish I went through a phase where I watched the entirety of what was available on YT for free of 'The Moomins' program from the 90's (suddenly it became quite popular last year and now is very easy to find all episodes apparently haha). This past year I've even watched some of 'My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic' for no other reason than I find it mildly entertaining and enjoyable to watch, especially in the background as I'm working on things. My thing is, I'm really particular about TV, and won't just watch a show for absolutely no reason. More than anything I re-watch my favorite things over and over, since I know I love them if I bothered watching them in the first place.

I also find that so-called kid's TV (and media and literature in general) is often not bogged down by desperate attempts to be gritty, shocking, etc. that so much adult programming is. I'm not really squeamish or touchy about sex and violence and so on, but there's a difference for me in that being handled well and relevant to the show, rather than done again and again and over-the-top because that's what grown-ups like, right?

I couldn't leave off without mentioning one of my favorite shows of all-time, 'Batman: The Animated Series" :mrgreen: While I like Batman content (films, comics, shows) in general, I personally prefer when it doesn't take the uber grim-dark route, trying to be edgy at the cost of genuine character development or good story. I *love* BTAS for multiple reasons, only one of which is that it's excellent Batman content that gives not only Bruce Wayne-focused character depth, but explores villains and side-characters well too; all of this without having ultra-violence/sex/etc. Again, not that those things are inherently bad, but I like when good stories/writing can stand on their own 2 legs rather than needing to impress an audience that demands edginess.