Page 8 of 10 [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 10:40 pm

Jakki wrote:
what does TCMS. Stand for , ? please and what is YMMV ?

sorry, it is Trans-Cranial Magnetic Stimulation, where a powerful magnetic coil is placed over the approximate area where the brain misbehaves, it causes a slow-motion reset of that area.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 4:02 am

Dox47 wrote:
Hopefully this works, as the next step would be ECT, which is far more complicated as it requires a general anesthetic and all the accompanying technicians and equipment, as well as significant side effects, including amnesia. My half sister is doing ECT, it seems to be working for her, but the memory loss is scary, it's just short term stuff, but she loses whole days to it, and it's something I'd prefer to avoid if possible.

Don't do that. I know methods that are far superior, but you would have to think outside the box.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 4:08 am

^^^please, what are those superior methods?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 8:19 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Your Mileage May Vary

Thank you ...... :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 8:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
Jakki wrote:

sorry, it is Trans-Cranial Magnetic Stimulation, where a powerful magnetic coil is placed over the approximate area where the brain misbehaves, it causes a slow-motion reset of that area.

Thank you ..... had a feeling thats what it meant but definitely wasn't sure ! :D

Nikkyuze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2021, 10:51 pm

Before I was diagnosed with autism I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, bipolar, ADD, and borderline personality disorder. Lucky me. I have been on more anti depressants, anti psychotics, stimulants, and mood stabilizers then I can count. Of all the meds I’ve taken I can only name two or three that I really noticed any difference in the way I felt in a positive way. Lamictal, cymbalta and serzone. All the others either had no effect or bad side effects. My new doctor is thinking of trying MAOIs and maybe ketamine for my depression, anxiety, and ADHD symptoms so maybe there is hope yet. I have never done illegal drugs so I can’t speak for those.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 11:21 pm

^^^ever try Zembrin or GABA? [NOT gabapentin]

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 7:47 am

Nikkyuze wrote:
Before I was diagnosed with autism I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, bipolar, ADD, and borderline personality disorder. Lucky me. I have been on more anti depressants, anti psychotics, stimulants, and mood stabilizers then I can count. Of all the meds I’ve taken I can only name two or three that I really noticed any difference in the way I felt in a positive way. Lamictal, cymbalta and serzone. All the others either had no effect or bad side effects. My new doctor is thinking of trying MAOIs and maybe ketamine for my depression, anxiety, and ADHD symptoms so maybe there is hope yet. I have never done illegal drugs so I can’t speak for those.

MAOIs might not go well with ketamine , you might do some research .
welcome to WrongPlanet . If you can find a less toxic way of treating your conditions, it could be very beneficial .. Although , i cannot speak about ketamine. But have gone through similiar experiences with doctors , using trial and error . Methods and similiar results . Over a very long period of time.
Navigating the Psyche Medical world can be very frustrating . Had resolved many issues of my own eventually using supplements . Instead of many medicines. i still use a combination of both to get to sleep.

Arathors
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2021, 7:28 pm

So these aren't drugs, at least not according to current FDA classification standards, but they are substances that seemed to help me.

5-HTP: 5-HTP is the immediate precursor of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that impacts many functions, including mood and learning. It's relevant here because autism is often associated with impaired serotonin function. Its availability impacts many other functions because of the substance chain it's part of:

Tryptophan -> 5-HTP -> Serotonin (5-HT) -> Melatonin

Your body produces melatonin from serotonin. A reduction in serotonin availability usually generates a corresponding reduction in melatonin availability, which results in sleep disturbances.

After I started taking 5-HTP, my sleep and mood improved. I can sometimes get trapped in negative thought patterns; this happens less often now and is easier to escape when it does. My partner commented that I seemed more relaxed and happier. He knew I was taking something, but he didn't know which substance or what effects it was supposed to have.

L-cysteine and L-glycine: These are separate substances, but I'll list them together because they're the two major precursors for glutathione, which is one of the body's most important antioxidants. Autism is associated with higher levels of oxidative stress and lower levels of antioxidants, particularly in the brain. When under a cognitive load, the brain of an autistic person is therefore subjected to higher levels of stress.

That's the basis for the current theories of how oxidative stress interacts with autism. As your mitochondria produce ATP, they generate reactive oxygen species as a byproduct, which as the name suggests are highly reactive. They stress and damage your cells. Autistic people are more susceptible to this due to our lower levels of antioxidants. Administration of another glutathione precursor, N-acetylcysteine, has been shown to improve irritability in autistic children.

After I started taking cysteine (NOT cystine, they are different) and glycine, it became easier to sustain a high cognitive load for a long time. Before, I could become frustrated very easily, which actively hurt - it felt like my brain was on fire. After, it took considerably longer to reach that stage, and its effect was reduced when I did reach it, like there was a blanket between me and it. This is hard to describe - my head also felt more comfortable in general, like my brain had been on low-grade fire my whole life and I never noticed because it was all I knew.

Anyway. Your mileage can and will vary on these. But they definitely helped me.

Curious about almost everything. I'm especially interested in chess puzzles (warning: I'm not good at them), writing fiction, and reading scientific journals, particularly articles that I can use to improve myself or my life somehow. PMs welcome.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 8:19 pm

^^^thank you for that info :study: i will see about those things you mentioned. :idea:

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 8:43 pm

Arathors wrote:

5-HTP: 5-HTP is the immediate precursor of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that impacts many functions, including mood and learning. It's relevant here because autism is often associated with impaired serotonin function. Its availability impacts many other functions because of the substance chain it's part of:

Ah Nootropics. I was lookin in to 5-htp, and was gonna take it, but i decided to take its antagonist, (dopamine competes with seretonin) L-trosine. a dopamine amino acid precursor, because L-dopa has certain controversy around it's safety. I can say it seemed to have some effect on personality. But it could have just been a coincidence.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 8:53 pm

dr. amen seems to like tyrosine for treating people with certain types of ADHD.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 10:42 am

theprisoner wrote:
Arathors wrote:

Ah Nootropics. I was lookin in to 5-htp, and was gonna take it, but i decided to take its antagonist, (dopamine competes with seretonin) L-trosine. a dopamine amino acid precursor, because L-dopa has certain controversy around it's safety. I can say it seemed to have some effect on personality. But it could have just been a coincidence.

love the topic of Nootropics been playing (experimenting)with them for over 20 yrs before the term became fashionable .
best check the other indgreints in your 5 - htp have found many are marketed as sleeping aide
and have stuff that will cause the 5-htp to be less effective after a few weeks .

Arathors
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2021, 2:56 pm

theprisoner wrote:
because L-dopa has certain controversy around it's safety.

Ahh, levodopa. I take L-tyrosine as well to help manage my ADHD. I didn't notice any effects on what I usually think of as my autistic symptoms, but it helped my brain fog quite a bit. I've always wanted to experiment with levodopa, but never gotten around to it.

auntblabby wrote:
dr. amen seems to like tyrosine for treating people with certain types of ADHD.

I don't know who Dr. Amen is, but tyrosine sure helped my ADHD. The effect did diminish over time, though.

Jakki wrote:
best check the other indgreints in your 5 - htp have found many are marketed as sleeping aide
and have stuff that will cause the 5-htp to be less effective after a few weeks .

Thanks for the tip! Mine is lab-tested. It's interesting that some formulations come with substances that will interfere with the 5-HTP over time. The efficacy of amino acid precursors can drop off on their own as neurochemistry adjusts; it's interesting that some ingredients can cause a similar effect.

Curious about almost everything. I'm especially interested in chess puzzles (warning: I'm not good at them), writing fiction, and reading scientific journals, particularly articles that I can use to improve myself or my life somehow. PMs welcome.

Wornhat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2021, 1:52 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I recall a thread from way back when. A member had discovered the cure to ASD at some party he went to. It was called Ecstacy. Having never tried E, I can neither confirm or deny, but I remain somewhat sceptical

Ecstasy, or MDMA (ecstasy is usually MDMA cut with meth or heroine or another powerful drug) is very dangerous to self medicate with it. MDMA drains the brain of its serotonin, which certainly feels great while it’s happening, but nothing you’re feeling is actually real. Those brain chemicals are supposed to release naturally, based on natural events, and artificially inducing this to feel momentary pleasure is incredibly foolish.

I’m certainly not opposed to altered mind states, but there are MUCH better alternatives if you want to develop yourself and understand your complexities.

And this doesn’t need to be based on anything psychoactive. Fish oil very good for the brain (omegas), as is Lion’s Mane mushroom. I find that my chess game is greatly enhanced when I supplement bacopa monnieri. I would suggest avoiding supplementing with L-tyrosine (dopamine precursor) and 5htp (serotonin precursor), while you have initially positive results, it is unwise to manipulate our brain chemicals so directly. Our bodies know how to process these things naturally, we just need to help it do so, provide it the proper materials so it can do what it knows to do.

theprisoner wrote:

Based on my research this is a misunderstanding. While L-tyrosine increases dopamine, it will lower your natural serotonin, and while 5htp increases serotonin, on its own it will deplete your dopamine. So they must be taken together. And 5htp can be damaging to the heart valves, and from what I have read, you can counteract this by taking a green tea extract. But then you’re layering all these things over top of each other that will still develop unnatural problems at some point.

I hope this isn’t against rules here, but since we’re on this subject anyway, I would propose that psilocybin-containing mushrooms are very effective at aiding us in developing new neural pathways. Our brains are plastic and are capable of great change. I do not recommend anyone break the law, I am only providing information.

SandWitch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2021, 2:12 am

I would jighly reccomend regulated pharmaceutical grade medical cannabis, if legal were you live.

It helps me out, to reduce burnout and sensory overload for me and gives me relief from depression and anxiety.

Also, it stops my pyshical and diaphram/breathing and verbal tics.