Page 3 of 10 [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 8:53 am

for hypertension i was on beta blockers for a long time, they eliminated my intentional tremor and reduced my free-floating anxiety to a level where i could throttle it in the bathtub, as they say.

guy_xyz
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2020, 1:00 pm

I took metoprolol, a beta blocker, for anxiety and it worked great. The weird thing is when you take it for an anxiety provoking situation once or twice after that you don't feel anxiety in that situation.

I think autistic anxiety in social situations and crowds is a reasonable and intelligent reaction to our sensitivities and the fact that we easily and often find ourselves unexpectedly in difficult situations. I have found Doctor Burns techniques (book Feeling Great) of appreciating our difficult emotions (it's smart to be nervous when you're doing something you're unskillful at) along with acceptance (it's unreasonable to try to be great at everything, etc etc) to be great help.

His book "Feeling Good Together" has excellent techniques to improve conversational skill and understand things we're missing in our speech patterns.

I believe drugs should generally not be used for aspergers, anxiety, or depression which are 99% of the time reasonable reactions to situations that can be massively improved with modern techniques. Check out the Feeling Great podcast.

I'm not anti drug, schizophrenia definitely, maybe paranoia need drug treatment. I'm inclined to believe ADHD as well but the drugs are not very good IMHO (serious side effect issues, haven't done research lately though).

When I smoked pot many years ago I didn't have social anxiety but I was high and out of it.

The social anxiety I have now seems completely reasonable since I'm so unskillful socially and don't consider it of concern and it's almost helpful since it reminds me to pay attention to social issues.

Best of luck.

guy_xyz
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2020, 1:25 pm

guy_xyz wrote:
I took metoprolol, a beta blocker, for anxiety and it worked great. The weird thing is when you take it for an anxiety provoking situation once or twice after that you don't feel anxiety in that situation.

I think autistic anxiety in social situations and crowds is a reasonable and intelligent reaction to our sensitivities and the fact that we easily and often find ourselves unexpectedly in difficult situations. I have found Doctor Burns techniques (book Feeling Great) of appreciating our difficult emotions (it's smart to be nervous when you're doing something you're unskillful at) along with acceptance (it's unreasonable to try to be great at everything, etc etc) to be great help.

His book "Feeling Good Together" has excellent techniques to improve conversational skill and understand things we're missing in our speech patterns.

I believe drugs should generally not be used for aspergers, anxiety, or depression which are 99% of the time reasonable reactions to situations that can be massively improved with modern techniques. Check out the Feeling Great podcast.

I'm not anti drug, schizophrenia definitely, maybe paranoia need drug treatment. I'm inclined to believe ADHD as well but the drugs are not very good IMHO (serious side effect issues, haven't done research lately though).

When I smoked pot many years ago I didn't have social anxiety but I was high and out of it.

The social anxiety I have now seems completely reasonable since I'm so unskillful socially and don't consider it of concern and it's almost helpful since it reminds me to pay attention to social issues.

Best of luck.

To perseverate a bit, having experienced both drugs and TEAM CBT therapy techniques, I believe understanding anxiety and depression in the right way is a clear and somewhat easy path to overcoming it while suppressing it with drugs leaves a feeling of heavy inadequacy and just feels off.

To my surprise, after decades of not finding the right answers, due to these techniques I am no longer depressed or generally anxious. I experience appropriate sadness from time to time and anxiety in places I know my unskillfulness can try me up as would anyone.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 2:00 pm

nick007 wrote:
I've had some success treating some of my autism comorbids. Buspar/Buspirone helps my anxiety a lot.

Buspar / Buspirone is the only medication that's ever helped me.

As you say though, it's an anti-anxiety med rather than a med specifically for ASD.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 2:02 pm

Adderall XR is the only drug to ever help my autism. It caused a 180° turn in my social and executive functioning deficits but the side effects of the drug were intolerable so I had to stop it. It destroyed my appetite, made almost everything taste like cardboard, made it difficult to sleep, and caused my mood to go on a rollercoaster every day. Adderall made it so much easier to talk and get things done.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 2:03 pm

Diazepam and weed. *shrug*

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 2:34 pm

Lunella wrote:

On the topic of adder all? Is there a difference , in adderal and adderalXR or are these the same medicine , and both created these same problems .

where ever you go ,there you are

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 3:52 pm

Thank y'all for the helpful comments :heart:

While there is no 'cure' for Autism, I'm finding that hydroxyzine is helping me take the edge off of the otherwise intolerable anxiety and social phobia that I have felt.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 5:40 am

Romofan wrote:
Thank y'all for the helpful comments :heart:

While there is no 'cure' for Autism, I'm finding that hydroxyzine is helping me take the edge off of the otherwise intolerable anxiety and social phobia that I have felt.

I'm glad you found some relief. It's funny how some meds work for some and do not work for others. Last week I was prescribed hydroxyzine for anxiety and the stuff simply knocked me out. Even at a very low dose I couldn't function.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:15 am

hydroxyzine and doxylamine are both antihistamines, the latter is my go-to for critical insomnia. the latter comes with grogginess unless one takes a half-dose. have not noticed any help with my AS.

guy_xyz
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2020, 11:42 am

Steve1963 wrote:
Romofan wrote:
Last week I was prescribed hydroxyzine for anxiety and the stuff simply knocked me out. Even at a very low dose I couldn't function.

Can you go even lower? I dilute some meds to ridiculous amounts because I'm sensitive. A drop of coffee will blast me off for hours. Sounds like it might be a good sleep aid if nothing else.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 8:54 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I recall a thread from way back when. A member had discovered the cure to ASD at some party he went to. It was called Ecstacy. Having never tried E, I can neither confirm or deny, but I remain somewhat sceptical

I do not encourage anyone to use drugs though this is something I have experience in.

MDMA as it's properly called was primarily used for counselling and labelled the couple drugs.

I drink way too much alcohol. this counts as drug use.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 8:56 pm

Lunella wrote:

Hehe.. not bad.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 9:00 pm

I think everybody's physiological makeup is different. how something affects someone isn't the same for the next person, i found that taking something and having quiet time to map how the sensations feel and trying to recall that without substance is important but takes many goes and many scenarios to work. stay away from alcohol. unless you're me.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 10:53 pm

LOTS of Hard liquor makes me feel normal, more or less. I don't get drunk, I become...calm? 8)

But the side and after effects of consuming that poison :skull: made me quit

Last edited by Romofan on 05 Dec 2020, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 10:54 pm

I had a bad experience with Trazodone. A tiny dose made me into a zombie