Are anti-maskers, covid deniers etc. like suicide bombers?

Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 1:32 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I don't think it's a helpful comparison. To a degree it's a rights issue, I do think stores should have every right to refuse people entry who don't have one on, it's one of those places where you see two virtues colliding - liberty and consideration for others.

They can't legally refuse you entry though if you have a medical exemption.

Here in Oregon, that wouldn't fly here, instead some stores have like these special hours for non maskers, other places have things like order online and the employee will bring your groceries out to you and stuff and going to non sensual places, they can refuse entry to anyone not wearing a mask, it doesn't matter if it's medical or not. We also have signs everywhere saying "masks are required."

Want to eat out, you do take out and the employee will bring you your order when you order your menu online.

Us Oregonians have ways around this anti mask stuff and for those who can't wear one for medical reasons. 8)

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2020, 1:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
No ... they're more like drunk drivers than suicide bombers.

Suicide bombers have a mission to kill people; drunk drivers don't care if they kill anyone or not.

Excellent analogy sir.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2020, 2:09 pm

League_Girl wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I don't think it's a helpful comparison. To a degree it's a rights issue, I do think stores should have every right to refuse people entry who don't have one on, it's one of those places where you see two virtues colliding - liberty and consideration for others.

Here in Oregon, that wouldn't fly here, instead some stores have like these special hours for non maskers, other places have things like order online and the employee will bring your groceries out to you and stuff and going to non sensual places, they can refuse entry to anyone not wearing a mask, it doesn't matter if it's medical or not. We also have signs everywhere saying "masks are required."

Want to eat out, you do take out and the employee will bring you your order when you order your menu online.

Us Oregonians have ways around this anti mask stuff and for those who can't wear one for medical reasons. 8)

I've always wanted to visit Oregon. I've heard it's beautiful. But I will wait a while at this point.....

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

Last edited by AspiePrincess611 on 22 Oct 2020, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2020, 2:13 pm

Donald Morton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
No ... they're more like drunk drivers than suicide bombers.

Suicide bombers have a mission to kill people; drunk drivers don't care if they kill anyone or not.

Excellent analogy sir.

The odds of killing someone (or yourself) while driving intoxicated are substantially higher than the odds of someone dying of coronavirus because you aren't wearing a mask.
https://www.bactrack.com/blogs/expert-c ... statistics

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 3:00 pm

No, I just think they're spoiled brats.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2020, 3:45 pm

Given how superlatively EASY it is to wear a mask, and how DEVASTATING it is for someone to lose a friend or family member because some opinionated individual refuses to wear one, this is a totally baffling issue. It’s a mask. It won’t stop the virus 100% but as someone mentioned, they ABSOLUTELY SCIENTIFICALLY COMMON SENSICALLY do catch most water droplets that are expelled from people’s mouths, and those are the main vehicle for spreading the disease. I don’t get it. Wear your seatbelt. Wear a helmet. Wear a mask. Just do it. You don’t have to believe it in but that’s on you, and not on the body of research and experience that has been released in the past year (YES YEAR). It’s not about probability. You can make any argument if you take a probability approach. I don’t think all humans deserve to live but I am not going to ever condone putting the few people I DO care about in danger just because some people call their opinions their rights.

Unless you literally CANNOT wear a mask for physiological reasons, in which case you should wear a face shield, I see absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not wearing a mask. It’s the smallest possible thing a person can do besides just staying home. You can make one for free or buy one for cheap. Just do it. I feel very strongly about this.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 3:50 pm

malavois wrote:
Given how superlatively EASY it is to wear a mask, and how DEVASTATING it is for someone to lose a friend or family member because some opinionated individual refuses to wear one, this is a totally baffling issue. It’s a mask. It won’t stop the virus 100% but as someone mentioned, they ABSOLUTELY SCIENTIFICALLY COMMON SENSICALLY do catch most water droplets that are expelled from people’s mouths, and those are the main vehicle for spreading the disease. I don’t get it. Wear your seatbelt. Wear a helmet. Wear a mask. Just do it. You don’t have to believe it in but that’s on you, and not on the body of research and experience that has been released in the past year (YES YEAR). Unless you literally CANNOT wear a mask for physiological reasons, in which case you should wear a face shield, I see absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not wearing a mask. It’s the smallest possible thing a person can do besides just staying home. You can make one for free or buy one for cheap. Just do it. I feel very strongly about this.

Exactly.

I can only imagine how soft and sheltered someone's life must have been for them to view wearing a piece of fabric over their face for 20 minutes while they shop is such a horrible imposition.

Snowflakes.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 6:29 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Seconded. Seeing grown adults throw around the possibility of anyone else dying as if it's a mosquito in their ear makes me wonder if they're sufficiently tone deaf to throw tantrums in fast food drive throughs.

I don't like pretending they're not psychopaths just to spare their delicate sensibilities. They are more aware of consequences than your average spoiled brat.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2020, 2:45 pm

You can call us brats, psychopaths, or whatever labels you want. It's all meaningless to me. Why should I care about the opinions of a bunch of germophobic leftists? Just like I can say that I believe pro-mask people are meddling, paranoid, tyrannical communists who believe whatever propaganda the government pitches without question. They are annoying in the extreme. I wear a face shield to avoid harassment from the paranoid loonies, but that's all. Where it's not required by law, I will not wear one. I don't agree with it and don't support it, nor do I give a crap about the virus. It will eventually go away, just like the 1918 flu pandemic and 2009 H1N1. I just hope they get a vaccine soon so the cry babies can shut up about it and we can go back to something approaching a normal life. Not that I'll be getting any vaccines.

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2020, 2:55 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
You can call us brats, psychopaths, or whatever labels you want. It's all meaningless to me. Why should I care about the opinions of a bunch of germophobic leftists? Just like I can say that I believe pro-mask people are meddling, paranoid, tyrannical communists who believe whatever propaganda the government pitches without question. They are annoying in the extreme. I wear a face shield to avoid harassment from the paranoid loonies, but that's all. Where it's not required by law, I will not wear one. I don't agree with it and don't support it, nor do I give a crap about the virus. It will eventually go away, just like the 1918 flu pandemic and 2009 H1N1. I just hope they get a vaccine soon so the cry babies can shut up about it and we can go back to something approaching a normal life. Not that I'll be getting any vaccines.

The great thing about reality is that in hindsight, everyone will know what was real and what was the government-fabricated lie spun up to sow division. Thank you for wearing a face shield, even if only to avoid being yelled at.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2020, 3:18 pm

malavois wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

The great thing about reality is that in hindsight, everyone will know what was real and what was the government-fabricated lie spun up to sow division.

They sure will. But we may disagree on what that will be. I guess we'll see :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:21 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
malavois wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

The great thing about reality is that in hindsight, everyone will know what was real and what was the government-fabricated lie spun up to sow division.

They sure will. But we may disagree on what that will be. I guess we'll see :wink:

You're right about that. Sadly even 'The Lost Cause' still has it's sympathizers who lie in it's defence. They're objectively wrong, but they certainly still exist.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:30 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Fun fact! Yes, they actually absolutely *can* LEGALLY refuse entry to an individual, even with a medical exemption, if the accommodation in question results in increased risk to the general public.

The ADA is not a free pass.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 3:52 pm

cberg wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Seconded. Seeing grown adults throw around the possibility of anyone else dying as if it's a mosquito in their ear makes me wonder if they're sufficiently tone deaf to throw tantrums in fast food drive throughs.

I don't like pretending they're not psychopaths just to spare their delicate sensibilities. They are more aware of consequences than your average spoiled brat.

Wait until they learn that they're not allowed to walk around without pants on in most places.....

"we'Re BeINg OPReSSed!! !"

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 4:13 pm

Only in that they have magic thinking where they think they're exempt from consequences.

Suicide bombers aren't scared cos they think they're going to heaven.

Anti Maskers aren't scared cos they think the virus isn't real or think it won't affect them negatively.

So much other stuff is like that that the whole 'suicide bomber = anti masker' thing is a bit over the top. A suicide bomber, unless something goes 'wrong' is bound to lose their own body regardless of life after death concerns etc. An anti-masker might 'just' end up killing the more vulnerable & be perfectly fine themselves.

And yeah. I'm a Commie who if I lived alone would still give a s**t about that. I'd prob go out more but I'd wear a mask, properly.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 5:25 pm

'Reopen South Florida' holds mask-burning ceremony in response to re-extended mask mandate

Quote:
The re-extension of Palm Beach County's facial covering directive is being called "medical tyranny" by some opponents who took to the streets Saturday afternoon in Delray Beach to display their frustrations and demand their reinstated freedoms.

Chris Nelson, lead organizer of the "Reopen South Florida" rally, points to the county's mortality rate that has fallen.

"What we're seeing right now is a dangerous precedent," Nelson said. "If they can tell me that I cannot buy or sell anything without a mask on, they can tell me that I can't buy or sell without proof of a vaccine, that I took a vaccine, and it could go on and on."

Even still, "Reopen South Florida" marched for blocks down Atlantic Avenue to the song "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister in a display of opposition.

The nonpartisan march comprised of people in various professions.

"Probably half of the medical doctors and (doctors of osteopathic medicine) that are against the research, that have no clue why we're in lockdowns, that are against quarantining, and there are about 50% that are for it," Dr. Matt McNabb said.

The march ended with a mask-burning ceremony at the Delray Beach Pavilion. But people like Pasquale Catania still worries the mask debate has too much political influence.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman