Scientific American endorses Biden, first for publication

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Sep 2020, 7:22 am

GGPViper wrote:
Although I fully sympathize with the reasons *why* Scientific American chose to endorse Biden (=Trump is a jerk), I am always skeptical about scientists making political statements.

It would have been better if Scientific American had focused more narrowly on the specific steps taken by the Trump organization to undermine science, and not generally on policies and actions by Trump that they politically disagree with.

I agree with it.
Scientific circles engaging in political activism fuel politically motivated anti-scientific sentiments.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 8:07 am

Some of the "small steps" taken by the Trump organization have been rather big steps.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 6:29 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Although I fully sympathize with the reasons *why* Scientific American chose to endorse Biden (=Trump is a jerk), I am always skeptical about scientists making political statements.

It would have been better if Scientific American had focused more narrowly on the specific steps taken by the Trump organization to undermine science, and not generally on policies and actions by Trump that they politically disagree with.

Trump supporters could say Scientific American should focus on science.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 6:34 pm

Trump supporters could also say they want the president to murder a stranger in cold blood just to continue their power trip. He only wants the natural world to die as a testament to his endless influence.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 6:41 pm

cberg wrote:
Trump supporters could also say they want the president to murder a stranger in cold blood just to continue their power trip. He only wants the natural world to die as a testament to his endless influence.

I imagine Trump, Elon Musk and Kanye have booked a Mars pod when the earth finally collapses.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 11:59 pm

magz wrote:
Scientific circles engaging in political activism fuel politically motivated anti-scientific sentiments.

Very true. But the consistent denial of science by the GOP when it is ideologically inconvenient has forced their hand. The anti-science sentiments aren't the result of scientists suddenly becoming overly political--they're the result of years of conservative politicians calling science into question when it is ideologically inconvenient. Conservative politicians made science political by using politics to undermine science. It's set scientific debate back decades. It has sown ignorance. It has created a conservative party whose base has decided that businessmen and politicians are more trustworthy than scientific professionals.
Seeing the Scientific American come out against a president for the first time in nearly two centuries should give Trump supporters pause, not cause them to see it as a confirmation that those mean scientists just hate sweet, smart Trump for no good reason :(

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides