Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 7:49 am

The worst thing about being on the spectrum for me is always being behind socially. I never fit in with my peers, as they see things with NT eyes. Masking gets very draining to do over extended periods of time.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2021, 9:33 pm

My biggest frustration is that there are days when I'm not even "in my own world", I'm in no world at all. I'm supposedly awake, but I'm not really. Makes it hard to do just about anything other than staring into space.

Not sure if I can say this is "part of autism", but I don't know what else I could say it is, so for all intents and purposes it's autism. Unless we're talking about ADHD or schizoid PD. Then it's one of those things. Potayto, I guess...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 9:41 pm

Migraines from sensory overload (misophonia, sunlight, cooking smells, flowers, detergents, fabrics, human speech).

Everything else sucks too, but migraines have to be the worst because they cause physical agony.

FreeRoger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Apr 2021, 9:52 pm

The two worst things for me are headaches from sensory overload, and not many people sharing my interests.
Obviously, not understanding many social cues is bad, but as IsabellaLinton said,"Everything else sucks too, but migraines have to be the worst because they cause physical agony."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:24 pm

threetoed snail wrote:
My biggest frustration is that there are days when I'm not even "in my own world", I'm in no world at all. I'm supposedly awake, but I'm not really. Makes it hard to do just about anything other than staring into space.

Not sure if I can say this is "part of autism", but I don't know what else I could say it is, so for all intents and purposes it's autism. Unless we're talking about ADHD or schizoid PD. Then it's one of those things. Potayto, I guess...

Brain fog?

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2021, 10:28 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
threetoed snail wrote:

Brain fog?

I guess so.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 11:07 pm

Developmental delays and co occurring conditions. Esp. in more severe autism.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2021, 6:28 pm

threetoed snail wrote:

Sounds like disassociation? Which isn't really an autism thing, it's a trauma thing. Which naturally means a lot of autistic people have it.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2021, 6:36 pm

I agree with those who say burning out quicker. I always am amazed at how much stuff normal people handle and I just know if I tried that even for a week I'd be crying in a corner losing it because I'd be having such a bad meltdown. Its just enough to manage what I do in life (basically work and come home) and people are like "that's all you do?" not realizing the toll it takes and how I just need to hide away to handle what I am doing without losing it even worse.

Also, sensory issues can be awful. Particularly noise sensitivity is bad for me.

Often feeling tense or on edge especially in newer situations, not being able to just "go with the flow" like others can. Change is super hard, takes a real long time to get ok with it, much longer than normal people.

Having a much harder time making good connections with others and socializing being harder all around. Gets lonely.

It just gets real frustrating and draining.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2021, 6:56 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My worst thing is the worry and fear that I'll have a public meltdown from sensory overload.

Yeah I've had this happen and it is horribly embarrassing, but I literally could not stop myself, its almost like I'm not even in my body or controlling it, then the feeling like everyone is staring at me or wondering "what's wrong with her?". Ugh.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 7:02 pm

Currently, the worst thing about Autism is that, combined with the co-morbidities, I can't go to the hospital even if I get sick. I can pass for a few hours, but the staff and I would both be wishing me dead within a day.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2021, 7:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Davideus85 wrote:
What is the worst thing about having autism?
For me, it is always being "That Weird Guy" who is excluded from social groups for not having mainstream interests. For example, I am the person who would rather chop veggies in the kitchen when everyone else is watching some pro-sports event on TV ... I am the person who could go into great detail in a discussion on character development in AD&D when others are gossiping about what their favorite soap-opera character has done ... I am the person who boasts about restoring a 35-year old ham radio when others are talking about the latest app on their smartphones ... et cetera...

I think we would get along, I also don't really care about much stuff that others typically do so I don't dare talk much about it because they'd think me odd!

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2021, 8:07 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
The worst thing about being on the spectrum for me is always being behind socially. I never fit in with my peers, as they see things with NT eyes. Masking gets very draining to do over extended periods of time.

This. Personally, I don’t have to worry about meltdowns or sensory overload. But the feeling of so much social stuff that is innate for most of the population not coming naturally to me really makes me feel inferior sometimes.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 10:37 pm

Lady Strange wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Davideus85 wrote:
What is the worst thing about having autism?
For me, it is always being "That Weird Guy" who is excluded from social groups for not having mainstream interests. For example, I am the person who would rather chop veggies in the kitchen when everyone else is watching some pro-sports event on TV ... I am the person who could go into great detail in a discussion on character development in AD&D when others are gossiping about what their favorite soap-opera character has done ... I am the person who boasts about restoring a 35-year old ham radio when others are talking about the latest app on their smartphones ... et cetera...

I think we would get along, I also don't really care about much stuff that others typically do so I don't dare talk much about it because they'd think me odd!

To both of you: Have you tried seeking out other people who share your oddball interests? That has always been a big part of my life strategy.