Page 3 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 11:10 am

The huge gap between the little I have accomplished and what I feel I could do if I could somehow get organized...

Last edited by Romofan on 18 Sep 2020, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 11:13 am

It takes just a little something to make me happy, but I need that little something so very, very much.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 3:21 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
It's easily burnout.

I agree and the shutdowns.

I don't have shutdowns but I can imagine they'd be quite annoying

The most annoying thing about them was that I never knew what they were or how to describe them.
That other people thought I was making it up.
The "Ignore them and they will go away"...
Or "He always does this to get out of work" (When my brother asked for me to help him and it was an unexpected change of plan).
I feel the same way about burnout.

Burnout is horrible. The effects last a long time. Takes me a long time to recover and I am concerned. I hit the last burnout in september when I was working last, and I am still going in and out of the fragile stage. I am better then I was but it is taking ages. I still can't do some things I would take for granted. It is hard to explain to those who may see me and know me and they may not understand. I don't understand so how can I tell them? How can I explain?
People who expect me to do things for them... I am made to feel guilty that I am not the same as before. They don't understand.
It is not that doing tasks themselves is not possible. It is that the effort to do them is too much for me to cope with since hitting burnout.

It feels like I hit some sort of mental breakdown.

Each burnout I hit hit me harder then the one before, and it was only the last burnout that hit me that I knew what it was called. Past burnouts I could not explain. I could not tell doctors. I did not even know how to so I did not even try. I just would quit work and quit as many responsibilities as I can.
idk for me it's just like Tries to do something consistently for 2 weeks which normal people would have no problem doing burns out instantly. Amazing

It maybe a different experience of burnout to what I have had. It could be what I have experienced is not a burnout at all but rather more of a breakdown? Who knows?

It is interesting.
it could also be that my burnouts are more servere than most peoples much like your shutdowns are.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 3:31 pm

In my opinion, the difficulty connecting with other people and building lasting friendships is the worst thing about being Autistic.

(Oh, would you look at that. I'm a Veteran now!)

#palestinianlivesmatter

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

Probably lack of concentration while working on something that doesn't always interest you.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 9:06 pm

Hmm, where to start... *Clears throat*...

1. The double standards (NTs aren't expected to understand how we feel but if we don't understand how NTs feel we're the ones that lack empathy)
2. The sensory issues
3. The stigma ("autistics are more likely to kill")
4. The social deficits (humans are social creatures yet we have some deficits with that essential survival skill) and lacking understanding of stuff that humans are supposed to find simple
5. The co-morbids (depression, anxiety, OCD, etc)
6. The way it seems "contagious" (if an autistic grows up among NT siblings, chances are the NT siblings get affected by the autism too and seem more prone to depression or anxiety)
7. The way autism isn't just a social deficit disorder, it comes with a long list of other symptoms too, just to make life even harder for us
8. The way it's a "mystery" (autism is an extremely complex brain dysfunction and it's still not completely known as to how or why people get autism)
9. The way autism is the only disorder/disability in the world that gets separated from the rest of the population (every person in the world is a "normal" human being unless you have an ASD, then you're totally abnormal, aka non-NT)
10. Obsessions that can get out of hand and get you into trouble (like stalking a person if you're the type that gets obsessed with people)
11. Meltdowns - THE WORST SYMPTOM OF ALL!! !
12. The social isolation and lack of friends
13. Statistics that I'm not sure are true or not but still scare me ("autistics are more likely to become homeless", "autistics are more likely to shoot a class of children", "autistics are more likely to die younger", "autistics are more likely to get dementia or cancer", etc etc)... just gives me more reason to hate autism
14. Being undateable or unemployable (not that those apply to me but they do for a lot of autistic people)
15. Giving off different body language to what you intend to and so often being misinterpreted or ridiculed
16. Immaturity
17. The way everything is a symptom of ASD even if it's not
18. The way it seems to be a cluster of mental illness and retardation - even though it generally isn't either of those
19. The odd/rigid thinking (having certain words that I find offensive or triggering but aren't actually supposed to be offensive or triggering to most people), also other thinking styles that nobody (including other autistics) seems to understand when I try to explain
20. Empathy issues - as in having TOO MUCH empathy
21. The embarrassing things it made me do in my life that I can never erase from my memory
22. Every autism case being so different to one another that soon they might as well lump everybody on the spectrum and be done with it, instead of it just being a simple diagnosis where you either have it or you don't, like down's syndrome (yes I know the physical features give that away but now they're saying that autistic people have physical features too so why's it still being unrecognised or misdiagnosed???)
23. How worryingly misunderstood autism is and how society shuns us for being autistic but in the eyes of the law we are capable citizens (some autistics can't get a job because of being autistic but don't qualify for SSI because we're too capable)

I could go on and on. Autism SUCKS and I don't understand how some people can be so proud of having it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 11:05 pm

Socializing. It's very tough for me to have a filter and I end up being very frank with people. People don't like that. People go after me sometimes. My own mum went after me when I was a teenager. It got to the point that I wouldn't talk much when she was around in fear of my saying the wrong thing, unless there was something I really wanted to say.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 8:06 pm

For me it's sensory issues and alexithymia. Both of these things compound a lot of the other problems I have. :/

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 10:55 am

The stereotypes, the stigma, and people being judgmental and sometimes treating you differently than they would treat a neurotypical person.

Also, feeling inadequate and like I'll always be different and never fit in or be successful.

My Tumblr

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 11:29 am

Knowing that nothing in the world can help you. All you can do is manage your condition... for the rest of your life.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 4:29 pm

Not being able to go ballistic (in a good way) when the hyperempathy kicks in due to crowd ecstasy (whether you're present or hear a recording) because 90% of the time it's at a time where going ballistic isn't socially acceptable

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:01 pm

I guess the simplest description of what the worst thing about Autism was for me was going through life as a "designated target" for meanness and difficulty and having no idea why.

I was diagnosed at age 64 and that's when I found out why I was a "designated target", but I am on the inside looking out so I still am unclear as to how I was so clearly and conspicuously marked as being designated. What did all of those NTs see??? How did they know??? (That, by the way, is a rhetorical question. Please don't try to tell me. I am decades past caring.)

Caveat: Like OP Davideus85, I am in the U.S. "My" autism is being Level 1 on the DSM-5 Autism Spectrum. Outside the DSM-5 I would be said to have Asperger's Syndrome. Other folk on WP may have "classic" Autism and their experience is likely very, very different from mine.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 11:19 pm

Being stereotyped and being told who I can and can't interact with.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 2:24 am

My childhood of horrific meltdowns... Almost everyday at school, I was punished a lot, having to stand in the corner, I even got detention because I had a severe meltdown and lashed out at people... They thought I was doing it on purpose. And the fact as an adult when I get stressed I still get meltdowns that cause me to hit myself, etc... Plus I get sudden suicidal ideation, because I'm so ashamed by how I act, ending up in the psych ward many times. Doesn't help I have severe bipolar too...

I hate my meltdowns... I'd be fine if I didn't emotionally overreact so much....

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

winterfresh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2021, 2:43 am

having a hard time socializing, mental health issues, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 11:03 am

Davideus85 wrote:
What is the worst thing about having autism?
For me, it is always being "That Weird Guy" who is excluded from social groups for not having mainstream interests. For example, I am the person who would rather chop veggies in the kitchen when everyone else is watching some pro-sports event on TV ... I am the person who could go into great detail in a discussion on character development in AD&D when others are gossiping about what their favorite soap-opera character has done ... I am the person who boasts about restoring a 35-year old ham radio when others are talking about the latest app on their smartphones ... et cetera...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.