Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 11:22 am

Edna3362 wrote:
All I know is that...

.. It's harder and much trickier to wield the mind and body as a whole with the condition, in more ways than one.

This statement still stands true to me.

Precisely because of this, I had to keep figuring how to master myself.
How to work around with AND from myself -- mind and body, in thoughts/emotions and actions/behaviors.

Or maybe that IS the point of autism. :P

I recalled a post here somewhere, once upon a time:
Quote:
... Autism is like weighted clothing...

Could've sworn that particular poster is a level 2 supports autistic himself, who happened to be more articulate than I do.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:41 am

pathological alienation.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Caroline20
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:50 am

Davideus85 wrote:
What is the worst thing about having autism?

Getting blames thrown at me for everything.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 1:53 pm

For me now, the worst aspect is that hospitals here are toxic to non-standard people. Even as an outpatient I have great difficulty, and don't expect to survive if admitted for anything.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 5:21 pm

For me, also, the lack of ability to gain independence or live anything resembling a “normal” life, it means it’s extremely unlikely that I will ever have a job I can support myself on and combined with other conditions (primarily periodic severe depression, self-harm and suicidal ideation, and residual health problems from lymphoma) means I’ll probably be stuck living with my parents for either the rest of my life or the rest of their lives, whichever ends first. Both of these contribute a heck of a lot to my depression and mean my life is pretty darn meaningless, basically all I am is an inconvenience at best.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:40 pm

I would like to add on to my original post, the more I think about it...
-People who know about your diagnosis judging you and making assumptions of what you are and aren't capable of without really knowing you or even meeting you first in some cases.
-Feeling like you are obligated to share your diagnosis with other people even if there really isn't a reason to
-People treating you as if your sensory issues aren't valid and that you are just "picky"
-Wanting more than anything to just be treated like everybody else and not as a "burden" or somebody to feel sorry for
-Being underestimated just because of your diagnosis
-Infantilization and feeling like you aren't and will never be seen as an adult

My Tumblr

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:44 pm

That's why i wonder if the diagnosis does more harm than good. I mean, the stigma of it.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 3:05 pm

For me: light sensitivity. The feeling of something poking at your eyes.

For others: not being able to communicate. But that comes with SLD + autism not just being aspie. And I suspect if they were allistic & SLD it would be similar.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 3:34 pm

Comorbidites because the more "severe" forms of autism aren't really held back by being autistic but are rather held back by comorbodities such as speech apraxia (which is why nonverbals can't speak), developmental delays, intellectual disability, and behavioral problems that make the autism look more severe.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:05 am

The comorbids (motor skills, dyslexia, behavioral problems) and the hard time communicating.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:39 am

For me right now its the not being able to get a good job and being single and feeling like i dont fit in with my extended family and also the fact that its genetic.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:43 am

Joe90 wrote:
Hmm, where to start... *Clears throat*...

1. The double standards (NTs aren't expected to understand how we feel but if we don't understand how NTs feel we're the ones that lack empathy)
2. The sensory issues
3. The stigma ("autistics are more likely to kill")
4. The social deficits (humans are social creatures yet we have some deficits with that essential survival skill) and lacking understanding of stuff that humans are supposed to find simple
5. The co-morbids (depression, anxiety, OCD, etc)
6. The way it seems "contagious" (if an autistic grows up among NT siblings, chances are the NT siblings get affected by the autism too and seem more prone to depression or anxiety)
7. The way autism isn't just a social deficit disorder, it comes with a long list of other symptoms too, just to make life even harder for us
8. The way it's a "mystery" (autism is an extremely complex brain dysfunction and it's still not completely known as to how or why people get autism)
9. The way autism is the only disorder/disability in the world that gets separated from the rest of the population (every person in the world is a "normal" human being unless you have an ASD, then you're totally abnormal, aka non-NT)
10. Obsessions that can get out of hand and get you into trouble (like stalking a person if you're the type that gets obsessed with people)
11. Meltdowns - THE WORST SYMPTOM OF ALL!! !
12. The social isolation and lack of friends
13. Statistics that I'm not sure are true or not but still scare me ("autistics are more likely to become homeless", "autistics are more likely to shoot a class of children", "autistics are more likely to die younger", "autistics are more likely to get dementia or cancer", etc etc)... just gives me more reason to hate autism
14. Being undateable or unemployable (not that those apply to me but they do for a lot of autistic people)
15. Giving off different body language to what you intend to and so often being misinterpreted or ridiculed
16. Immaturity
17. The way everything is a symptom of ASD even if it's not
18. The way it seems to be a cluster of mental illness and retardation - even though it generally isn't either of those
19. The odd/rigid thinking (having certain words that I find offensive or triggering but aren't actually supposed to be offensive or triggering to most people), also other thinking styles that nobody (including other autistics) seems to understand when I try to explain
20. Empathy issues - as in having TOO MUCH empathy
21. The embarrassing things it made me do in my life that I can never erase from my memory
22. Every autism case being so different to one another that soon they might as well lump everybody on the spectrum and be done with it, instead of it just being a simple diagnosis where you either have it or you don't, like down's syndrome (yes I know the physical features give that away but now they're saying that autistic people have physical features too so why's it still being unrecognised or misdiagnosed???)
23. How worryingly misunderstood autism is and how society shuns us for being autistic but in the eyes of the law we are capable citizens (some autistics can't get a job because of being autistic but don't qualify for SSI because we're too capable)

I could go on and on. Autism SUCKS and I don't understand how some people can be so proud of having it.

1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 17, 18, 23. These are caused by society, not by being autistic.
2, 4, 5, 7, 14. You're kind of right on that, but however being autistic doesn't mean you can't marry or hold a job.
10 and 19. Obsessions a lot of times aren't a bad thing, they are actually a good thing a lot of times to.
12. Some autistic people have a hard time making friends, a lot have friends, autism doesn't mean you have no friends.
13 and 16. Those are largely myths.
11. Some autistic people have meltdowns but not every person with autism has meltdowns.
21. NTs do embarrassing stuff they can't erase from their memories to.
22. Autistic or not, everyone is different.

Autism doesn't suck, it's the self hating people who don't get a life that do.

Last edited by Dylanperr on 11 Apr 2021, 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:48 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
For me, also, the lack of ability to gain independence or live anything resembling a “normal” life, it means it’s extremely unlikely that I will ever have a job I can support myself on and combined with other conditions (primarily periodic severe depression, self-harm and suicidal ideation, and residual health problems from lymphoma) means I’ll probably be stuck living with my parents for either the rest of my life or the rest of their lives, whichever ends first. Both of these contribute a heck of a lot to my depression and mean my life is pretty darn meaningless, basically all I am is an inconvenience at best.

I'm sorry you're still having problems =(

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:52 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
For me right now its the not being able to get a good job and being single and feeling like i dont fit in with my extended family and also the fact that its genetic.

That is understandable.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:54 am

AriaEclipse wrote:
I would like to add on to my original post, the more I think about it...
-People who know about your diagnosis judging you and making assumptions of what you are and aren't capable of without really knowing you or even meeting you first in some cases.
-Feeling like you are obligated to share your diagnosis with other people even if there really isn't a reason to
-People treating you as if your sensory issues aren't valid and that you are just "picky"
-Wanting more than anything to just be treated like everybody else and not as a "burden" or somebody to feel sorry for
-Being underestimated just because of your diagnosis
-Infantilization and feeling like you aren't and will never be seen as an adult

You said that perfectly, and agree with you 100 percent.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:56 am

Zakatar wrote:
In my opinion, the difficulty connecting with other people and building lasting friendships is the worst thing about being Autistic.

(Oh, would you look at that. I'm a Veteran now!)

Perfectly said.