Come here to get the Block functionality for Wrongplanet

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 1:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
... I do know that block features often get overused so I assume that I'm probably already blocked for stupid reasons here, as I am not a bully or a stalker...
A person does not have to be a bully or a stalker to be blocked.  I've blocked people for expressing willful ignorance (e.g., "stupidity"), for expressing self-defeating attitudes, for expressing racist and/or sexist ideologies, for expressing homophobia, and for general trollery.

Overused?  I think blocking features do not get used often enough!

:D

If one poster always posts racial remarks or other offensive attitudes then maybe that may be a reason to block that person, although surely the mod team will sort out that as if anyone is breaking the rules repeatedly then it's up to the mods to step in.
If you find yourself bickering with another poster in a one-off discussion just because you both have a different opinion but aren't breaking any rules then I don't see that as a reason to block that poster, as if everybody just blocked each other for those kinds of reasons then this site would become more of an inactive wasteland than what it already is.
That is what I mean about the block feature being overused. It gets overused on Facebook too.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2020, 1:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I also do not have that text color on my end or that background color.

Edit: I realized the url you put is from two years ago so you are using a different script.

The text colour and theme are part of another script I wrote about 8 months ago.
It integrates into the user control panel and allows the user to change between
light, dark and default styles, change the iconset, change the font size
and font colour etc.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 9:21 am

I'd rather be able to block certain threads, although that wouldn't really help anything.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 9:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'd rather be able to block certain threads, although that wouldn't really help anything.
The most effective blocking app is your own mind.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:45 am

Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
The most effective blocking app is your own mind.

Yes that is true. Like I said before, I'll only block someone as a last resort. If someone isn't personally bullying me or is a threat to my privacy, and the mods are unable to help for some reason, then I will use the block function. Otherwise, if someone is just being a jerk, I will not block them. Some people are only jerks in certain topics but can be interesting in other topics. People need to accept that not everyone has the same opinions.

Last edited by Joe90 on 29 Sep 2020, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
... I do know that block features often get overused so I assume that I'm probably already blocked for stupid reasons here, as I am not a bully or a stalker...
A person does not have to be a bully or a stalker to be blocked.  I've blocked people for expressing willful ignorance (e.g., "stupidity"), for expressing self-defeating attitudes, for expressing racist and/or sexist ideologies, for expressing homophobia, and for general trollery.

Overused?  I think blocking features do not get used often enough!

:D

If one poster always posts racial remarks or other offensive attitudes then maybe that may be a reason to block that person, although surely the mod team will sort out that as if anyone is breaking the rules repeatedly then it's up to the mods to step in.
If you find yourself bickering with another poster in a one-off discussion just because you both have a different opinion but aren't breaking any rules then I don't see that as a reason to block that poster, as if everybody just blocked each other for those kinds of reasons then this site would become more of an inactive wasteland than what it already is.
That is what I mean about the block feature being overused. It gets overused on Facebook too.

Some people use a block feature because of their inability to step out of the conversation because they are getting triggered or losing the argument.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Some people use a block feature because of their inability to step out of the conversation because they are getting triggered or losing the argument.

In the offline NT world, people who have certain charisma get noticed and agreed with the most.

On WP (and maybe other autism sites), people who often use big words in their posts seem to get noticed and agreed with the most. I may be good at writing and at spelling, grammar and punctuation, and I enjoy it too, but I'm not so good at vocabulary. I can put my thoughts into simple words but I know that if I could come up with bigger words, you know words that can be equivalent to several common words, then I will most probably win more arguments here.
When browsing around the internet I often come across words I've never heard before, and I look them up and find that it's an excellent way to explain exactly what I've been trying to explain, so I write them all down in a little notebook to use when I'm really stuck.
Unfortunately, I'm not always sure how to use the words in a sentence that would make sense.

It's like these threads about "what is NT?" I'd so love to explain what my definition of NT is without having to go round all the houses and basically list every single disorder known to mankind and explain why I think it is or is not NT, making my post really long. But deciding who's NT and who isn't is like trying to explain the colour blue to other people who can see the colour blue.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 1:22 am

Is there a way to make this work in Firefox?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 12:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Yes, for firefox there's an extension called greasemonkey, and I think there's tampermonkey for firefox too.

remove 'darkred' from style='background:darkred'>Block</button>` if it annoys you, and you can replace it with any color (or leave empty by removing the whole "style='background:darkred'" for the default green).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 6:17 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yes, for firefox there's an extension called greasemonkey, and I think there's tampermonkey for firefox too.

remove 'darkred' from style='background:darkred'>Block</button>` if it annoys you, and you can replace it with any color (or leave empty by removing the whole "style='background:darkred'" for the default green).

Thank you.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 6:44 pm

Could easily understand this would be a benefit ... but. Having little experience with command code , this could be difficult to employ . But. T Y.

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 11:06 am

being that i lack the genes to grok such, i'll just continue to fast-forward past certain posters as i long have been doing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 2:00 pm

I wish the ignore function would block threads by a particular user here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.