Seeking guidance: new Dx: (ASD)+ Now: ADHD + Dyslexia

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

N.G.Water
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2020, 6:35 pm

Hi all-

I hope this is the correct forum/ sub-forum to post in. It wasn't really clear- so I pre-apologize.

In the last week- I got the rest of my neuropsychological profile; I have ADHD-type I (which in the past was called ADD) and Dyslexia.

The dyslexia dx was a real shock. I have always known I'm an atrocious speller, but I just put that down to a personal failing and always understood dyslexia to mean that letters sort of 'dance'- my fault. I should I researched it better. Can any of you all help me make sense of it? I know it would affect everyone differently, but I am a relatively quick reader, and love to read. But there is no doubt in my diagnosis.

While I don't put much stock into it, I also got my IQ scores-- and apparently did very well in both the "math" and "verbal" sections, including the reading, writing, reading comprehension, and associated portions. I did horribly (and I mean 5-30 percentile) in anything that was "made-up words- peouncounced" and spelling and some sections of Processing Speed and Working Memory. But overall, I scored a 130. I did much better in some bits, and worse in others. (As I am told everyone does.) I will also admit I took these tests on a really bad brain day. I didn't get any sleep the night before, I was really anxious, and I have been plagued by some serious flashbacks. (Also Dx- 'likely' PTSD-- that one I knew). They also verbally referenced something called "twice-exceptional" and then looked guilty (I can't tell, I don't read facial expressions well and behind a mask it's worse)? I googled it, and I don't really get it anyways.

The doctor that did all of my testing recommended that I start by going and get medicated for the ADHD-- as a child I was medicated for about 16 months and it changed my life for the better, but then my father decided that medication was evil.... and I had to struggle alone. I'm now an adult, and want to try medication, my attention is horrible now- especially at work and during my leisure hours- but how do I find a doctor I can trust? What are they key things to look for? I already have coping skills that work- I have managed well (25,F, USA, high level Geochemist, full time employment, B.S., likely seeking to go for my PHD fall 2021). What do I ask them to make sure they will work with me on finding a medication + (and or medication dosages) that works for me? How do I find a doctor who won't tell me to try 40 hours of therapy (which given the hours I work I don't have the time for) before they consider medicating me or a doctor who tells me they think that I should be able to "tough it out"? I don't care if I have to self-pay- I'd rather do that, I paid for my eval out-of pocket, a luxury I know few can afford.

Thank you.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 6:46 pm

Dyslexia is a complex thing. Do you try to spell phonetically and get it wrong? Do you have difficulty reading new words out loud? Those are symptoms of dyslexia. I am likely dyslexic (or just really bad with words). You certainly can compensate for the condition, many do. Dyslexics can also have some advantages in visual and spatial processing, so it is not all bad. Particularly with mode of communication that are visual rather than textual.

PS, I also love to read and can read quickly.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 8:39 pm

N.G.Water wrote:
Hi all-

I hope this is the correct forum/ sub-forum to post in. It wasn't really clear- so I pre-apologize.

In the last week- I got the rest of my neuropsychological profile; I have ADHD-type I (which in the past was called ADD) and Dyslexia.

The dyslexia dx was a real shock. I have always known I'm an atrocious speller, but I just put that down to a personal failing and always understood dyslexia to mean that letters sort of 'dance'- my fault. I should I researched it better. Can any of you all help me make sense of it? I know it would affect everyone differently, but I am a relatively quick reader, and love to read. But there is no doubt in my diagnosis.

While I don't put much stock into it, I also got my IQ scores-- and apparently did very well in both the "math" and "verbal" sections, including the reading, writing, reading comprehension, and associated portions. I did horribly (and I mean 5-30 percentile) in anything that was "made-up words- peouncounced" and spelling and some sections of Processing Speed and Working Memory. But overall, I scored a 130. I did much better in some bits, and worse in others. (As I am told everyone does.) I will also admit I took these tests on a really bad brain day. I didn't get any sleep the night before, I was really anxious, and I have been plagued by some serious flashbacks. (Also Dx- 'likely' PTSD-- that one I knew). They also verbally referenced something called "twice-exceptional" and then looked guilty (I can't tell, I don't read facial expressions well and behind a mask it's worse)? I googled it, and I don't really get it anyways.

The doctor that did all of my testing recommended that I start by going and get medicated for the ADHD-- as a child I was medicated for about 16 months and it changed my life for the better, but then my father decided that medication was evil.... and I had to struggle alone. I'm now an adult, and want to try medication, my attention is horrible now- especially at work and during my leisure hours- but how do I find a doctor I can trust? What are they key things to look for? I already have coping skills that work- I have managed well (25,F, USA, high level Geochemist, full time employment, B.S., likely seeking to go for my PHD fall 2021). What do I ask them to make sure they will work with me on finding a medication + (and or medication dosages) that works for me? How do I find a doctor who won't tell me to try 40 hours of therapy (which given the hours I work I don't have the time for) before they consider medicating me or a doctor who tells me they think that I should be able to "tough it out"? I don't care if I have to self-pay- I'd rather do that, I paid for my eval out-of pocket, a luxury I know few can afford.
Thank you.
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a toddler.when I was 5 I was diagnosed with dysgraphia. It affects my spelling. Like I know full well how to spell the word but i just can't. It also sometimes makes it difficult to type but that might be dyspraxia as well. EVen after OT and years of writing everyday It was never past barely legible unless I spent like a second on each letter. Then when I was 10 i got diagnosed with PDD-nos and social phobia (social anxiety disorder). I likely have ptsd because i've had things like flashbacks and It would make a lot of sense. My adhd is likely a lot more severe than yours as I can be incredibly hyperactive incredibly impulsive and incredible distracted all at once when i don't take my medicine and if I'm needed to do anything consistently I basically have to take it. As for my dysgraphia. It doesn't really affect me all that much most of the people who italk to can understand me and the people who can't are either being stubborn or aren't really worth talking to imo.I can never really do grammar. I also seem to mix up words a lot. Kind of similar diagnoses. Your definitely doing considerably better than me tho. I better get that ass moving if I want to get my PHD in minecraft lets plays.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:18 am

Here is the most interesting piece on dyslexia I have read: The Battle over Dyslexia