Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 11:37 pm

Do women start menopause after a year of her last period?

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 10:30 pm

I didn't understand your post but everybody is different. My periods ended bit by bit. The usual for me was a cycle of every 28 days with it lasting about 6 days. The days decreased first to about 3 days and then the periods would come every 3 months to longer but with less days and then it finally stopped.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 5:09 am

Officially menopause is a year after your last period.
But "the change" begins several years earlier - the perimenopause - which is when you get symptoms from fluctuating hormones and drop off in oestrogen production.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 12:43 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Officially menopause is a year after your last period.
But "the change" begins several years earlier - the perimenopause - which is when you get symptoms from fluctuating hormones and drop off in oestrogen production.

I didn’t have my period all summer, I got it in September. Do I need to take something more? I’m 50.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 5:52 am

50 is about the usual time for menopause.
I've heard periods become erratic before stopping altogether, so that's probably normal.
But no harm in talking to a doctor if you're concerned.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 1:43 am

MrsPeel wrote:
50 is about the usual time for menopause.
I've heard periods become erratic before stopping altogether, so that's probably normal.
But no harm in talking to a doctor if you're concerned.

I read little bit about menopause, women can be in premenopause for 7 years, I started in 2014, I been getting hot flashes on & off, I had to put my fan on when it was very very cold & rainy. I’m still getting my period 8O :cry: I just had my period. What vitamins should I take? My bones can be fragile now :( :x 8O :cry:

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 11:46 am

Well ask your doctor for some tests, especially FSH. It shoots up at menopause and is a sure indicator.

If you just had your period it's not official yet for another 12 months. Taking some vitamins probably can't hurt, but you know they won't fix hot flashes. If you're worried about your bones and you're petite to start with, ask your doctor to test your vitamin D level as well.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 12:41 am

Well, when I lived in Hong Kong, I noticed that middle-aged women tended to eat quite a lot of soy-beancurd (tofu), and would steep ginseng to drink like tea.

I believe the phytoestrogens in the soy act to dampen any oestrogen surges (that cause hot flushes), as they block oestrogen receptors.
Ginseng does the same thing, plus lowering cholesterol and improving energy levels.

That's why Chinese and Japanese women typically have less issues with hot flushes, from my understanding.

Otherwise, a normal healthy diet should be fine, together with exercise to keep bones strong and sunlight for the vitamin D.