Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 3:18 am

How do you know if you in love?

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 11:19 pm

Dawwwww whyyyyyyyy are you asking my friend?????

I'm just teasing. So I think it's important to distinguish between infatuation and love.
Infatuation is usually a chemical process that bonds two people. Essentially two people are getting high off each other's brain chemistry and hormones. It lasts a few weeks. This is usually when a person will say they are starting to fall in love, but they are likely being fooled by their brain chemistry. Being "in love" as it's usually understood by the English language is a heightened state of emotional and physical arousal. You are probably "falling in love" with someone if you have been in a close proximity to them and they reciprocate feelings of physical attraction and emotional closeness.

There are also some people who are just so out of this world attractive that they can give you this intense feeling without them having even the slightest interest in you. I am speaking from experience. The owner of a company I worked for was just legitimately the most perfect male specimen I may have ever beheld with my own eyes, he might have been gay but it didn't matter. Could not get within a 5 yard radius without being literally overwhelmed. He gave me a high five once. That was two years ago. I still remember it. Perfect. Male. Specimen. I would not say I was in love with this man as we were in absolutely no way on each other's level. Merely his demonstrable fitness in life was just overwhelmingly enticing.

So I guess the question for you is: is this someone in your life or is this someone from afar?

But real love of a person is something that develops over time and more often than not it is a function of chemistry, compatibility of personality and disposition, strong emotional bonds, and mutual respect. Love grows slowly over time, it is not an out of control flash of emotion that we call "falling in love."

Last edited by adromedanblackhole on 26 Sep 2020, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 11:47 pm

There's a cliche saying about being in love, "you just know." It's terribly unhelpful and misleading, and somehow also very accurate.

The tricky thing is, you can have times where you think you know, and then later realize that it wasn't so. I almost wonder if you have to get a few of those "oh that wasn't actually love" experiences before the "you'll just know" concept will be possible. But that may just be my experience.

In my mind the most important thing is that you both feel equally enamored with the other, that each of you put an equal effort in, and that you're considerate of the other.

kitten_caboodle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2020, 10:41 am

I'm in love when I see the person for who they really are with all their faults and issues instead of being an illusion or projection of what I want them to be, and I still feel very drawn to them. Its usually about their morals or integrity, the way they treat other people besides me and if they have a fun sense of humour. I don't base it on "they make me feel special" or things like that, because love isn't about me. It's about them!

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2020, 10:06 pm

You are if you are totally full of joy only as soon as you are with each other.
It's much more intense then just a crush and you are aware that the other feels like you do.
You are in love when you are realizing the true meaning of the "Ode to Joy" of Beethoven
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._9_(Beethoven) just because you feel that way.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 12:04 am

kitten_caboodle wrote:
I'm in love when I see the person for who they really are with all their faults and issues instead of being an illusion or projection of what I want them to be, and I still feel very drawn to them. Its usually about their morals or integrity, the way they treat other people besides me and if they have a fun sense of humour. I don't base it on "they make me feel special" or things like that, because love isn't about me. It's about them!

Oh, please,
You are making me blush. :oops:

But yes, your definition of luv is accurate, based on my recent research.
Loving someone means embracing and knowing the entire person, "warts and all".

"Limerence" is when you fall in infatuation as a result of who you think someone is.
Empirically, limerence virtually never lasts.
But then, luv can fade also. <shrug>

Don't ask me how I got this wise. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 12:12 am

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
There's a cliche saying about being in love, "you just know." It's terribly unhelpful and misleading, and somehow also very accurate.

The tricky thing is, you can have times where you think you know, and then later realize that it wasn't so. I almost wonder if you have to get a few of those "oh that wasn't actually love" experiences before the "you'll just know" concept will be possible. But that may just be my experience.

In my mind the most important thing is that you both feel equally enamored with the other, that each of you put an equal effort in, and that you're considerate of the other.

It has to be mutual, yes,
Otherwise, it withers and dies, in a healthy mind, at least, using a "Romantic" context.
"Unrequited" luv is something else. 8)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 2:22 am

Maybe I’m not in love, I don’t know everything about him.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 2:55 am

Before I met my future spouse, I had very strong feelings about certain people I would meet, get to know, and date.
I felt the same as you do now - how do I know if this is love?
Then I met my future spouse and we both felt strongly about each other. One day after I’d known him for a few months the thought came to me that I had never felt this strongly about anyone outside of my immediate family and I realized it was love. We got married a few years later but I slowly realized that for me it was love but for him it had probably not been love. That’s the problem with feelings - you can only truly know your own.
I innocently asked my spouse after we had been married for a few years why he had chosen to marry me. I expected him to say the things that I felt. I felt that I was in love and didn’t want to be without him. But he listed about three characteristics that were not remotely romantic or heartfelt - that kinda burst that bubble.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 8:10 am

Kitty4670 wrote:

You don't have to know *everything* about a person.
But helps if you talk to them. ;)
It is a progressive process.

People find other's attractive first,
They then get to know them more intimately,
If there is a mutual attraction,
Then the bonding/love mechanism can begin.

"Luv", romantic luv, is never one-sided, based on my research.
Infatuation/crushes can be. 8)

Last edited by Pepe on 27 Sep 2020, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 8:15 am

beady wrote:
Before I met my future spouse, I had very strong feelings about certain people I would meet, get to know, and date.
I felt the same as you do now - how do I know if this is love?
Then I met my future spouse and we both felt strongly about each other. One day after I’d known him for a few months the thought came to me that I had never felt this strongly about anyone outside of my immediate family and I realized it was love. We got married a few years later but I slowly realized that for me it was love but for him it had probably not been love. That’s the problem with feelings - you can only truly know your own.
I innocently asked my spouse after we had been married for a few years why he had chosen to marry me. I expected him to say the things that I felt. I felt that I was in love and didn’t want to be without him. But he listed about three characteristics that were not remotely romantic or heartfelt - that kinda burst that bubble.

How old were you when you married him?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 9:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

You don't have to know *everything* about a person.
But helps if you talk to them. ;)
It is a progressive process.

People find other's attractive first,
They then get to know them more intimately,
If there is a mutual attraction,
Then the bonding/love mechanism can begin.

"Luv", romantic luv, is never one-sided, based on my research.
Infatuation/crushes can be. 8)

I still feel like I’m falling in love with him, I think about him all the time & I dream about him too. He lives here in California, he is in Scotland for work, we were texting still, then he said he can’t text anymore, he would text me when he gets back home, last time we talked was a week ago, we had a fight & he thought I didn’t care for him, I asked him, are we really over? He told me, we are not. I’m scared he changed his mind about me or met another woman, my past came back to scare me, I used to be very hard on myself, I thought I wasn’t good enough, no man would want me, I don’t deserve a guy. I want him sooooo much, I wish we could be together. I asked about being in love, cuz I only been in love once, I want to be 10000% sure I’m in love.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 10:42 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

I still feel like I’m falling in love with him, I think about him all the time & I dream about him too. He lives here in California, he is in Scotland for work, we were texting still, then he said he can’t text anymore, he would text me when he gets back home, last time we talked was a week ago, we had a fight & he thought I didn’t care for him, I asked him, are we really over? He told me, we are not. I’m scared he changed his mind about me or met another woman, my past came back to scare me, I used to be very hard on myself, I thought I wasn’t good enough, no man would want me, I don’t deserve a guy. I want him sooooo much, I wish we could be together. I asked about being in love, cuz I only been in love once, I want to be 10000% sure I’m in love.

How long have you known one another?
If it is only a couple of weeks, and dependant on the amount you have communicated, you might be "jumping the gun".
How much do you know about him?

Could he be playing "hard to get" to make you more interested in him?
If so, this might be a warning sign.

Does he have demands on you?
What was the fight all about?
Is this the same guy who wanted to meet you in person but you didn't feel it was the time to do so?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 12:04 am

Pepe wrote:
If it is only a couple of weeks, and dependant on the amount you have communicated, you might be "jumping the gun".

Is this the same guy who wanted to meet you in person but you didn't feel it was the time to do so?

I known him for a month :D :D He has a daughter, 6 years old, he’s 40, his birthday was last week, his mom is alive & he doesn’t get along with his sister, I know other things too. He text me today, he was really busy with work. He is not demanding. Yes he is the same guy.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 3:05 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I known him for a month :D :D He has a daughter, 6 years old, he’s 40, his birthday was last week, his mom is alive & he doesn’t get along with his sister, I know other things too. He text me today, he was really busy with work. He is not demanding. Yes he is the same guy.

It sounds good so far. :thumright:

When are you going to meet him?

Champagne supernova
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2021, 5:24 pm

I don't think love is an actual thing any more. And the love I feel from my partner comes nowhere near the love I have for my children.