Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What religion do you most identify with?
Christianity 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Judaism 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Islam 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Buddhism 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Taoism 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Shintoism 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Atheism 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Hinduism 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 42

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 7:53 am

I identify with Judaism in many respects----even though I'm actually an agnostic atheist (yes, there is such a thing).

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:18 am

I identify with the Christian faith. If I had to choose a second and third option, Judaism and Islam too because they are part of the Abrahamic family. Fourth option would be Taoism because it has some similarities to Christianity.

Specifically, I believe that because God became man, man may become as God through Christ's incarnation, passion, and resurrection. I also believe that His presence on Earth sanctified it, and that eventually most of us will be deified and reflect God while remaining men (and women)!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 4:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I think the OP is trying to equate the struggles of those on the spectrum with people of colour (POC)

I've always maintained that a neurodiverse community needs to be inclusive of everyone. Otherwise we are playing the "oppression olympics" or we drift into the orbit of NTs in terms of treating others less fortunate the same way NTs do.

Okay ... she is making a analogy between neurodiversity and race. But what does religion have to do with it? Why is she asking us our religion?

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2020, 4:58 pm

I was raised in a family and community of the Jōdo Shinshū flavor of Buddhism. Became disenchanted with a few of the primary teaching and began a search. I eventually converted to Christianity, but not as it exists today but more the Gnostic philosophy of the early Christians. I also have a very personal relationship with it.

As I wrote this it struck me as funny that it relates to my reply to the post concerning the question of why people continue to discriminate against the LGBTQ community. Religions and just large tribes consisting of many numbers of smaller tribes within in them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 5:08 pm

Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour. :?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 1:48 am

GGPViper wrote:
It is very generous to allow 3 options at the same time.

BTW, I believe that Taoism as a distinct philosophy/religion was likely established by the Dao de Jing by Lao Tzu and the Zhuangzi by Zhuang Zhou. The I Ching precedes both these works (by centuries), but it is also a precursor to Confucianism.

However, given that Taoism is largely a folk religion, it is likely misleading to define it purely on the basis of written (and often highly abstract) scripture. Taoism doesn't adhere to the same rigid canonical literature that make (made?) up Confucianism.

Oh, and Zhuangzi + Mahayana Buddhism = Chan (Zen) Buddhism.

Agree with everything here. A few tweaks 1. Taoism is a folk shamanistic belief system
2. Bodhidharma + Mahayana buddhism + Zhuangzi = Zen Buddhism

Without Bodhidharma there's no zen.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 1:50 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I think the OP is trying to equate the struggles of those on the spectrum with people of colour (POC)

I've always maintained that a neurodiverse community needs to be inclusive of everyone. Otherwise we are playing the "oppression olympics" or we drift into the orbit of NTs in terms of treating others less fortunate the same way NTs do.

Okay ... she is making a analogy between neurodiversity and race. But what does religion have to do with it? Why is she asking us our religion?

I think its another binary

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2020, 1:20 am

I was just venting.

Its been nice reading all of these responses.

I first learned about world religions in high school. I grew up Jewish, and had friends who were Christian. As I've gotten older, I've learned more about different religions, and I think religion is a very interesting subject. Christianity is big on morals and values, doing the right thing. I like being Jewish, the traditions and stories are nice. Christianity is rooted in Judaism.

Having ASD has made me really question life and its meaning. Religion brings people together and can be comforting, but it doesn't solve all of life's problems. I was having a really tough time once, and I shared my problem with my rabbi. All he could do was listen.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 3:06 am

DesertWoman wrote:
I was just venting.

I first learned about world religions in high school. I grew up Jewish, and had friends who were Christian. As I've gotten older, I've learned more about different religions, and I think religion is a very interesting subject. Christianity is big on morals and values, doing the right thing. I like being Jewish, the traditions and stories are nice. Christianity is rooted in Judaism.

Having ASD has made me really question life and its meaning. Religion brings people together and can be comforting, but it doesn't solve all of life's problems. I was having a really tough time once, and I shared my problem with my rabbi. All he could do was listen.

Happy Sukkot

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 3:42 am

DesertWoman wrote:
I was just venting.

I first learned about world religions in high school. I grew up Jewish, and had friends who were Christian. As I've gotten older, I've learned more about different religions, and I think religion is a very interesting subject. Christianity is big on morals and values, doing the right thing. I like being Jewish, the traditions and stories are nice. Christianity is rooted in Judaism. .

I like Havah Nagilah...its very joyous

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Religions and just large tribes consisting of many numbers of smaller tribes within in them.

I think this is true. I know lots of Christian-identifying people, and many have lost the crux of incarnational theology (theosis). We're all "Christians", but their religion at times seems quite different from mine.

Without the understanding of theosis as being at the heart of the incarnation and thus, in my opinion, the Christian faith, the beauty, mysticism, and paradox that the faith exemplifies is kind of...lost in transmission.

When the West rediscovers this part of their faith, I hope that we will see a great revival of Christian theology and spirituality.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 1:22 am

Havah..Nagila...Havah...Nagila...da da da da da da...

Jonfon
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2021, 11:42 am

I was born Jewish and bullied relentlessly by Jewish kids. They all knew not to eat Pork and that Jews were persecuted throughout history but nobody seemed to think there was anything wrong with calling the physically clumsy kid names or mocking his social inadequecies. This extended to young adults who lead the Jewish youth movements and mature adults who were my teachers (I can definitively say the Jewsih teachers were far worse than the gentile ones).

Over the years I spoke to two different Rabbi's about this, and both said that the worst sin in Judaism was treating people badly. Pity they only seem to tell this to the victims who are ready to leave the faith.

I am now a Buddhist. Rather than teaching their adherents antiquated dietary laws and how they are always the blameless victims, the core teachings are acceptance and respect to humanity.

The Jewish community does have a lot of Aspies and these bring a lot of pride and prosperity to the community, but in the 21st century where one is no longer bound to ones religion as strongly as before, I am starting to see many of those who I suspect are on the spectrum to move on. Mostly towards atheism but some to other beliefs.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 3:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Havah..Nagila...Havah...Nagila...da da da da da da...

This song makes me think of hockey.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 8:56 am

People are different everywhere you go. Even in the same country you will see different cultures, temperaments, opinions, world views, and religions.
Of late it seems that disapproval is usually mistaken for intolerance or even hate. For example, My parents disapproved of my choice in music, that did not mean they hated me.
Preferring one's own culture, religion or worldview is not tantamount to hate either. The word "tolerance" has been misappropriated to mean "acceptance of everything" when the word really means to bear that which one disapproves.
Misunderstandings are going to happen in life but its how we react and deal with them that makes the difference in the quality of our relationships with others.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 9:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour. :?

I was thinking of saying that atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby, but I prefer your hair analogy.

I voted for atheist because that's the nearest thing to what I am. I tend to think "agnostic" isn't quite strong enough to describe me, because the only reason I can't say for sure that there are no deities is that I can't prove they don't exist. Even Amun-Ra or Thor haven't be absolutely disproved any more than God or any other deity. Though I can't say for absolute certain that there is no deity, from what I've seen the balance of probabilities seems very strongly against there being one. So I guess I'm either a very hard agnostic or a very slightly soft atheist. I can't see there's any important difference.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_ ... ve_atheism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism#Types