'Spectrum Neurodiversity' documentary by autistic producer

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2020, 4:04 am

Producer Gets Personal About Being on the Spectrum in New Doc

Quote:
Spectrum Neurodiversity, a documentary from producer Scott Steindorff that begins production in October, will focus on conditions such as dyslexia, ADD, ADHD and autism as examples of diversity in the human condition rather than disorders that must be "cured."

Per Steindorff — producer of The Lincoln Lawyer and the upcoming series Station Eleven for HBO Max and Paramount TV — the doc “will clear up misinformation and highlight new treatments and research on autism and people on the spectrum.” To do that, he’s partnering with British psychologist, professor and leading autism researcher Simon Baron Cohen (cousin of Sacha) who will host the doc and interview experts, researchers and those living with autism.

Stone Village Television is financing the documentary with Steindorff set to direct and produce. Steindorff, who also served as executive producer of Netflix doc series Firechasers and Jon Favreau’s Chef, serves as a professor of practice at the School of Art and Film at Arizona State University, where he teaches expression of emotions in art and authentic storytelling.

Steve Silberman, John Elder Robison, Spectrum Neurodiversity, autistic music prodigy Derek Paravicini and a whole bunch of academics will participate in the documentary

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 4:19 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Producer Gets Personal About Being on the Spectrum in New Doc
Quote:
Spectrum Neurodiversity, a documentary from producer Scott Steindorff that begins production in October, will focus on conditions such as dyslexia, ADD, ADHD and autism as examples of diversity in the human condition rather than disorders that must be "cured."

Per Steindorff — producer of The Lincoln Lawyer and the upcoming series Station Eleven for HBO Max and Paramount TV — the doc “will clear up misinformation and highlight new treatments and research on autism and people on the spectrum.” To do that, he’s partnering with British psychologist, professor and leading autism researcher Simon Baron Cohen (cousin of Sacha) who will host the doc and interview experts, researchers and those living with autism.

Stone Village Television is financing the documentary with Steindorff set to direct and produce. Steindorff, who also served as executive producer of Netflix doc series Firechasers and Jon Favreau’s Chef, serves as a professor of practice at the School of Art and Film at Arizona State University, where he teaches expression of emotions in art and authentic storytelling.

Steve Silberman, John Elder Robison, Spectrum Neurodiversity, autistic music prodigy Derek Paravicini and a whole bunch of academics will participate in the documentary

Simon Baron Cohen used to be a serious researcher now it looks like as he’s reaching pensionable age he wants to cash in like Silberman on a new religion and be a big fish in a small pond via the corruption of science.

A small child can tell autism is a disability why would a natural difference need “treatments”? LOL
:D

- George Bernie Shaw

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 10:33 am

Last I checked, SBC and John Elder Robison advocated for a mixture of the medical and social models. At least they don't seem afraid of nuance. They're not strawmen (imo).

Fun Fact:

Simon Baron Cohen is Borat's (aka Sacha Baron Cohen's) first cousin. Small world after all.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 11:47 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Last I checked, SBC and John Elder Robison advocated for a mixture of the medical and social models. At least they don't seem afraid of nuance. They're not strawmen (imo).

Fun Fact:

Simon Baron Cohen is Borat's (aka Sacha Baron Cohen's) first cousin. Small world after all.

For a while after being first diagnosed I was a totally social model person. Now I have evolved into believing that mixture. It was not about being a sellout or becoming soft. It was about my experiences and reading about other peoples experiences.

It is true that understanding nuance is not a natural thing for autistic people, we have to work harder at it. It helped that I was already in my 50s with all that experience behind me when diagnosed. If I was young when coming into understanding of autism in 2013 I probably would be an Autism Justice Warrior or a rabid cure advocate.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman