Page 8 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jun 2021, 3:30 am

Here, natural local fluctuations of weather/climate (including fluctuations spanning decades) are an order of magnitude bigger than the global trends, so no way you say anything about global warming looking at the weather in Poland :D

By the way, my friend is an atmosphere physics researcher and she claims it's one of the better established things, consistently predicted by the numerical models: global warming means more energy in the atmosphere and locally it would result in more extremes - all directions.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 3:48 am

"Even the rain that falls won't reach the dams." Tim Flannery. :lmao:

I found it interesting, years ago, how someone on the left stated that the "Russian Beast from the East" was caused by global warming. There is *always* a connection to global warming when aberrate weather conditions happen, rather than accepting shite sometimes happen.

It is the constant political spin that damages credibility.

Oh, btw, there is *always* climate change and the earth's temperature has always fluctuated, hence the numerous ice ages.
We are experiencing global warming, yes.
But then, there was global warming when the Roman empire was in existence.

Once again, the earth's temperature always fluctuates.

I find it interesting how some people can't seem to appreciate the nuances of a comment and focus on their personal ideology, no reference to you, my dear. :heart:

Today's extreme polar blast has never happened before, in Australia, magz.
Oh wait, it has happened 25 years ago!
Perhaps your friend should consider that fact. :scratch: :mrgreen: 8)

Also, your friend should be informed that there are fewer severe storms/tornados/cyclones now than in the recent past. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jun 2021, 4:04 am

I'm more with the group of researchers who study warm periods of Earth history to understand what to expect and how to adapt than with those who catastrophize.
The milk has been spilled, the humanity released in 200 years an amount of carbon that sequestrated for tens of millions of years. The change is inevitable - but the humanity and large parts of the nature are quite adaptive.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 4:21 am

magz wrote:
I'm more with the group of researchers who study warm periods of Earth history to understand what to expect and how to adapt than with those who catastrophize.
The milk has been spilled, the humanity released in 200 years an amount of carbon that sequestrated for tens of millions of years. The change is inevitable - but the humanity and large parts of the nature are quite adaptive.

I have heard that it isn't CO2 that is the major contributor to the greenhouse effect, it is water vapour.
What say you?

Also, I have heard that volcanos are a major source of CO2.
What say you?

Also, how do you explain the many ice ages the earth has experienced?

Also, what is the highest average temperate the earth has experienced, in the last 100,000,000 years? 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jun 2021, 4:37 am

I say water vapour is constant but CO2 changed.
Volcanos capable of supprassing current human CO2 production used to be common in Permian (likely leading to Permian-Triassic great extintion) but not now. Current epoch has low volcanism and humans release about 10 times more CO2 than volcanos. https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 092419.php
I don't know what you mean by "how do you explain the many ice ages the earth has experienced". Currently we're living in an ice age, meaning there are permanent glaciers. Not every period in Earth history had them. Global warming may shift us out of it.
The warmest period in the last 100 million years was PETM - Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum. As I said, I'm very interested in researching it because it can give us hints for what to expect.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 5:06 am

Apologies.
I said: "Also, I have heard that volcanos are a major source of CO2."
I meant to say: "I have heard that volcanos China is a major source of CO2." :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2021, 8:27 pm

"So even the rain that falls isn't actually going to fill our dams."
Yeah, right.

Scaring the ignorant to get them motivated?
How did that work out for you? :scratch:
Your BS has damaged your cause, big time. 8)

In your face, tim flannery. :mrgreen:

Stick to what you know, timmy. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 5:14 pm

:lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 4:46 am

Quote:
Australians warned to prepare for ‘supercell’ storms and flash flooding

Wild weather travelling from South Australia to the east coast is a ‘sign of things to come’, Bureau of Meteorology says

A man is seen under a red umbrella as rain falls on Roma Street in Brisbane.
Dangerous ‘supercell’ storms are forecast for the east coast, with up to 45mm of rain expected for Brisbane.

Dangerous “supercell” thunderstorms have started to hit parts of eastern Australia, with residents being warned to prepare for wild weather that could cause flash flooding over the coming days.

Forecasters have warned the first significant storm of this season could bring the biggest rainfall in September in five years, with residents across parts of the east coast being told to prepare for heavy rain, giant hail and ferocious winds.

According to Bureau of Meteorology senior meteorologist Jackson Browne, the severe weather was likely to start on Wednesday and continue until Friday.
Car submerged in floodwaters
Bureau of meteorology warns of floods with double likelihood of La Niña predicted for Australia
Read more

“This is the first outbreak of thunderstorm this season and it is a sign of things to come,” Browne said.

“It’ll be an active season.”
People walk around Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra as rain falls
Bureau of Meteorology senior meteorologist Jackson Browne says wet weather is “sign of things to come”. Photograph: Mike Bowers/The Guardian

The wild weather is driven by a low-pressure system moving from the west of the country through South Australia on Tuesday and then into eastern Australia, he said.

“The system will shift towards the east gradually today, tomorrow and into Friday. By Friday we should expect it to be in the vicinity of Brisbane,” Browne said.

The low system is linking with a trough from the tropics which is bringing down the moist warmer air, and a lot more rainfall with it.

The wet weather will be widespread across much of the east coast but northern NSW and Queensland are expected to be hit the hardest by dangerous thunderstorms.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... h-flooding

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 5:49 am

Had some flash storms here this evening.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 6:25 am

Decent rain yesterday.
More tomorrow and the day after.
Beautiful. :mrgreen:

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:08 am

Only a light drizzle at my place today Pepe.
I sat on the back verandah tonight watching the BOM radar and hoping to see the possible storm, but no cigar.
Hopefully tomorrow brings a decent downpour in my area.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Severe storm warnings remained current for areas across the east coast late on Thursday night. Conditions may change. Keep up to date by checking in with ABC Emergency online, the Bureau of Meteorology's warnings or listening in to your local ABC radio station.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-30/ ... /100502870

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:39 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
Only a light drizzle at my place today Pepe.
I sat on the back verandah tonight watching the BOM radar and hoping to see the possible storm, but no cigar.
Hopefully tomorrow brings a decent downpour in my area.

We got hit by 22mm worth of rain, yesterday.
It was beautiful. :heart:

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 8:12 pm

We had another big storm last night here too. I wonder how many more of these we'll have. Storm season's not usually till mid- or late summer here.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 8:18 pm

Murihiku wrote:
We had another big storm last night here too. I wonder how many more of these we'll have. Storm season's not usually till mid- or late summer here.

BTW, when is stalag Queensland opening its borders again?
Victoria and NSW haven't sent all their deplorables to you yet. :mrgreen: