Page 1 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 8:50 am

In your face, Tim Flannery. :lmao:

Tim Flannery: "Dams will never be filled again".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 7:17 pm

You might recall Victorians were suckers spending millions of dollars on a "white elephant" called a desalination plant that is now gathering rust.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 10:27 pm

cyberdad wrote:
You might recall Victorians were suckers spending millions of dollars on a "white elephant" called a desalination plant that is now gathering rust.

Same in Sydney.
I was actually in favour of it as insurance.
I still think it was a good idea, at the time.

The desalination plant was actually being used here last summer, and they were in the process of expanding it.
I'm not sure if they started or were just in the planning stage.

They are also predicting this summer will be comparatively cold, due to the "La Nina" weather conditions.

Tim's face must be red, in his property on the coastline. :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 11:09 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Same in Sydney.
I was actually in favour of it as insurance.
I still think it was a good idea, at the time.

The desalination plant was actually being used here last summer, and they were in the process of expanding it.
I'm not sure if they started or were just in the planning stage.

They are also predicting this summer will be comparatively cold, due to the "La Nina" weather conditions.

We also had an area reserved for a future dam for Melbourne on the Mitchell river, which would have been cheaper, and produced more water that the desalination plants, but our Labor government (in their "wisdom") decided that buying more union votes was better "value" than saving money or putting in a better alternative...One of the claims at the time was that there wasn't enough rain to suport the dam, shortly thereafter followed by major flooding of the river.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 12:35 am

Pepe wrote:

To be fair Tim is an palaeontologist who is technically no more qualified than Greta Thunberg or Peter Garrett to debate climate change. He was been appointed chief commissioner of the Australian climate council due to his public profile rather than his expertise.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 1:58 am

Genuinely thought this was gonna be an innuendo for something. :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 3:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

To be fair Tim is an palaeontologist who is technically no more qualified than Greta Thunberg or Peter Garrett to debate climate change. He was been appointed chief commissioner of the Australian climate council due to his public profile rather than his expertise.

Kevin Rudd?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 3:31 am

Lunella wrote:
Genuinely thought this was gonna be an innuendo for something. :lol:

You naughty "gurl". 8O

I luv it. :heart: :mrgreen:

I wish. <sigh>
Do you have a single aunt, over here? :scratch:

Me having *sex* would be news-worthy. :mrgreen:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2020, 3:43 am

I think building dams and desalination plants should be evaluated over longer periods than one summer.
Diversity of water sources is good, it improves flexibility and gives more options should something unpredicted happen.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:32 am

magz wrote:
I think building dams and desalination plants should be evaluated over longer periods than one summer.
Diversity of water sources is good, it improves flexibility and gives more options should something unpredicted happen.

The desalination plant was built in coastal Victoria which current global warming models suggest will receive more rainfall than normal and if it doesn't will be underwater as its built on the coast (oh the irony).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:33 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Kevin Rudd?

Well Ruddy was correct about the NBN, give him credit the Libs messed that up,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:40 am

magz wrote:

I didn't have a problem with the desal plants.

But as Brictoria mentioned, there are "better/cheaper options in the form of dams.
The trouble is, the greens, in particular, and Labor are against it.
I believe this obstinance is being overcome through necessity.

Political ideology is the bane of our lives. :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Kevin Rudd?

I meant, wasn't it Rudd who appointed that Tim turkey, errr, I mean "expert"? :scratch:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

The desalination plant was built in coastal Victoria which current global warming models suggest will receive more rainfall than normal and if it doesn't will be underwater as its built on the coast (oh the irony).

And so will Tim Flannery's coastal residence, I believe.
When he bought it, after prices dropped, it raised quite a few eyebrows. 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:50 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

And so will Tim Flannery's coastal residence, I believe.
When he bought it, after prices dropped, it raised quite a few eyebrows. 8O

Yeah it's interesting to see what Tim and Barak do with their coastal properties?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 4:52 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Kevin Rudd?

I meant, wasn't it Rudd who appointed that Tim turkey, errr, I mean "expert"? :scratch:

Oh right! yep that was the climate at the time but it didn't make much difference, everytime carbon emissions got mentioned the labor party ended up playing musical chairs.