Page 7 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 3:23 am

Quote:
Severe weather warning follows over 5,000 SES rescues in NSW
21/03/2021|2min

The Bureau of Meteorology has described weather currently lashing parts of New South Wales as volatile, dangerous and dynamic.

Another severe weather warning was issued at 11:00pm last night and heavy rain and flash flooding is expected for the northern rivers, mid north coast, the Hunter Sydney metropolitan and Illawarra and the Central Tablelands

The SES has issued new evacuation warnings for the Hawkesbury River, Gronos Point, Pitt Tow Bottoms and North Richmond, Cornwallis and Pitt Town North.

An evacuation warning is in place for low lying areas in Freemans Reach and residents are being encouraged to monitor the SES website for updates.

After 10:00pm last night the SES received 180 calls for assistance and performed 25 flood rescues.

Since Thursday over 5,000 calls for help have been made to the SES and 617 flood rescues have been conducted.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_624 ... 20in%20NSW

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 5:12 am

How many houses have to go under before they stop people building on floodplains to only 1 in 50 year flood levels?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 5:39 am

One year rains/floods....next year drought/fire....it sucks building a home in regional Australia

I feel fortunate living in suburban Melbourne

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 8:47 am

MrsPeel wrote:
How many houses have to go under before they stop people building on floodplains to only 1 in 50 year flood levels?

I agree. This practice is happening more and more around the country, new housing estates popping up on land known to flood. This is one of the reasons the "old Queenslander" houses are on tall stumps.

Have you been affected by the flooding Pepe?
All is well at my joint, lots of rain but no flooding.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 6:53 pm

Quote:
'So much for all those global warming predictions'
19/03/2021|6min

Sky News host Rowan Dean says record cold snaps and rainfall globally are making the continued "global warming predictions" and alarmism "laughable or criminal".

"I drove home last night from the studio through an absolute deluge; trees down, roads flooded, swollen rivers, and a thousand waterfalls along the motorway," he said.

"Naturally, I only had one thought that kept replaying over and over in my mind. That was of course one of the key climate change predictions from Tim Flannery from the beginning of this century, and just one of the many, many predictions that was so wrong it is either laughable or criminal.

"Indeed, it was also predicted that by 2020, children in Europe and Australia wouldn't know what snow was anymore. This prediction was repeated as recently as 2014 by the New York Times who postulated 'the end of snow?'."

The northern hemisphere winter this year was one of the “coldest in decades”, with experts in Finland suggesting record snowfall will likely not even melt through summer.

"Who can forget over in America, it was so cold the windmills froze, plunging the state into blackouts with people tragically dying simply trying to stay warm? More cold weather is due again this week in Texas," Mr Dean said.

"Yet this morning in Melbourne's CBD, the climate crazies were out in force again with Extinction Rebellion protesters causing peak-hour chaos, blocking the intersection of Flinders and Swanston streets with a moving truck.

"That would be, of course, a large fossil-fuel-powered truck emitting an abundance of carbon emissions, but what's a little hypocrisy when you're saving the planet from imminent Armageddon?"

Mr Dean pointed to the high level of emissions from China, noting it has “over 3,000 coal-fires power plants built or being planned”.

"Instead, our leaders are hellbent on paying lip service to an unproven scientific hypothesis that CO2 is heating the globe to levels that threaten mankind - and even the planet's - existence when the evidence of our eyes and the tips of our fingers and noses is often completely the opposite.

"As far as I can tell, major economic decisions across the planet are predicated on a theory from two decades ago – if not longer - that doesn't stack up, for the obvious reasons that so many predicted outcomes have not occurred."

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_624 ... redictions

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 7:45 pm

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 7:49 pm

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 9:49 pm

We shouldn't forget the animals also affected by this...

Quote:
In scenes most people would only experience in their nightmares, thousands of spiders have been caught on camera fleeing rising floodwaters across NSW.

A number of locals across the flooded state took to social media to share horrifying pictures of the phenomenon.

One of these was Melanie Williams, who almost lost her Macksville house to the swollen Nambucca River, on NSW’s mid-north coast.

Speaking to the ABC, Ms Williams said she was watching the floodwaters make their way to her home when she spotted “all these little black things” running up her fence.

“That was enough to really freak me out. I had never seen anything like it before,” she said.

“I am an arachnophobe from way back so I hope they’ve gone back to wherever they came from.

“I occasionally see spiders around the place but never anything like that. It was just insane.”

Source: https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/thousands-of-spiders-escape-nsw-floodwaters/news-story/1bb90b049b6ec26f0a155fae9902834c

Arachnophobes, please do not click on that link...For anyone else, the pictures in the article are interesting.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 11:04 pm

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 6:59 pm

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:47 pm

Still at 96% and rain forecast for the next couple of days. It rained a bit overnight as everything was wet this morning, but it mustn’t have been very heavy.

I’ve been stuck in Sydney since the COVID increase in Melbourne. Lovely crisp sunny mornings here.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 1:17 am

Eurythmic wrote:
Still at 96% and rain forecast for the next couple of days. It rained a bit overnight as everything was wet this morning, but it mustn’t have been very heavy.

I’ve been stuck in Sydney since the COVID increase in Melbourne. Lovely crisp sunny mornings here.

Do you think it unusually cold, this year?
I believe solar flare activity, or rather lack of it, may have something to do with that.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:57 am

Pepe wrote:

I believe solar flare activity, or rather lack of it, may have something to do with that.

Oddly enough, this morning is the first day so far this winter that I've actually felt cold.
Since I lived in Melbourne for some time I've became accustomed to the cold.
Tomorrow is expected to get to a maximum of 13 with 5-15mm of rain and possibility of some small hail.
Bring it on!!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 7:47 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Oddly enough, this morning is the first day so far this winter that I've actually felt cold.
Since I lived in Melbourne for some time I've became accustomed to the cold.
Tomorrow is expected to get to a maximum of 13 with 5-15mm of rain and possibility of some small hail.
Bring it on!!

They are anticipating Sydney temperatures to drop to 11.7 degrees.
If it does, it will be the coldest day this time of year for 25 years.

Australia is experiencing a "Polar Blast", probably due to "Global Warming". [disingenuous comment] [facetiousness] [irony] [joke] [no-sarcasm] :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 10:33 pm

If only we in NYC would think of 53 degrees Fahrenheit in December as being “cold.” :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 3:16 am

Curious with all the stories narrating that climate change isn't happening based on dam levels and regional temperatures and all nicely wrapped in a bow. How nice,

Its a great pity that our scientists in the Bureau of Meteorology are saying precisely the opposite for 2021
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/ ... w/summary/

It's been above average for quite some time...